I'm new to MCAT studying, how do I get my hands on practice exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulUnderdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started studying. Started off with content review with Kaplan 7 subject review and was wondering how do I get the many practice exams that everyone here talks about? The Kaplan ones, Princeton review, etc. I know the AAMC stuff I can order online off the site. Is there a way I purchase the other companies mentioned above online too? Or do I HAVE to enroll in their courses? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I just started studying. Started off with content review with Kaplan 7 subject review and was wondering how do I get the many practice exams that everyone here talks about? The Kaplan ones, Princeton review, etc. I know the AAMC stuff I can order online off the site. Is there a way I purchase the other companies mentioned above online too? Or do I HAVE to enroll in their courses? Thanks guys.
For Kaplan exams you have to enroll in the course or buy their full book set new and unopened. For the Princeton Review exams you can get 3 or 4 exams depending on which of their books you buy. Berkeley Review, Next Step, Gold Standard all sell their practice tests on their mcat store websites.

For Kaplan exams you have to enroll in the course or buy their full book set new and unopened. For the Princeton Review exams you can get 3 or 4 exams depending on which of their books you buy. Berkeley Review, Next Step, Gold Standard all sell their practice tests on their mcat store websites.
Ah, thanks. Which ones do people here generally practice from? Or like the most?

I still have 4 classes to take as well. Orgo 2, bio 2, physics 1 and physics 2. So Im feeling a little underprepared and not proper? Hard to word the feeling honestly. But how do I go on about studying? Just power through the Kaplan 7 subjects first?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, thanks. Which ones do people here generally practice from? Or like the most?
that's a very subjective question but the general consensus is that EK has the 2nd best practice and AAMC has the 1st

I still have 4 classes to take as well. Orgo 2, bio 2, physics 1 and physics 2. So Im feeling a little underprepared and not proper? Hard to word the feeling honestly. But how do I go on about studying? Just power through the Kaplan 7 subjects first?
I wouldn't take the MCAT if I were you if you haven't finished those classes. It's possible to take the MCAT without those but not very common. It just makes MCAT studying so much harder because you have never been introduced to those yet.

that's a very subjective question but the general consensus is that EK has the 2nd best practice and AAMC has the 1st

I wouldn't take the MCAT if I were you if you haven't finished those classes. It's possible to take the MCAT without those but not very common. It just makes MCAT studying so much harder because you have never been introduced to those yet.
Oh I don't plan on taking the MCAT for awhile. I just have a lot of time this semester and was wondering if it'd be a good idea to start slowly with some content review from Kaplan?

Reactions: 1 user

It's a very poor use of time studying for the MCAT when you still have 4 pre-reqs to take. And if you haven't taken Ochem 2 or Bio 2 I can't see how you've taken Biochem either. If you haven't taken biochem on top of those classes, you really are just wasting your time right now studying.

As for FL's, scour ebay and this site. I'm a big believer in you have to use the right resources. BR, EK, Next Step and the AAMC all have very solid FL's everybody should do. Kaplan and PR? Not so much. Those companies tests are basically just dumps of content and knowledge, not actually reasoning and thinking skills which is what the MCAT tests.

Oh I don't plan on taking the MCAT for awhile. I just have a lot of time this semester and was wondering if it'd be a good idea to start slowly with some content review from Kaplan?
How long is "a while?" Probably doesn't pay to start studying if you're more than a year out from taking it. You'll most likely end up forgetting 80-90% of the content you reviewed, and the skills you build by taking FL's will be long gone. Not only that, but if you go out and buy these online materials, a lot of them only allow access for a certain period of time and a certain number of attempts. By the time you actually want to use them when you really buckle down for the MCAT, your time slot will have expired.

Reactions: 1 user