I'm not applying until next year, but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyCarIsDirty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what can I do between now and the time I'm applying to work on any weaknesses I may have? I'm a sophomore. I would like to attend either an MD or DO school.

I currently have a 3.67cGPA with a 3.71 sGPA as a Biology major.

I don't plan on taking the MCAT until spring my junior year.

As for extra curricular activities, I just started volunteering/shadowing a little over a month ago at a hospital. At this hospital, my volunteer time is mainly spent shadowing, but I do occasionally work there. Do I count this as both clinical volunteering AND shadowing? or just volunteering since that's technically what I'm signed up for?

I'm currently in the process of trying to get a volunteer spot somewhere to do some coaching/recreational teaching for kids.

I also work two jobs. One is with a non-profit with heavily service-oriented goals (Not sure if the nature of my work is a factor).

I feel as though I am lacking in the extra curricular department and would like some feedback as to where I should head from here. I have an open summer coming up, and I certainly don't want to waste it.

I really just need some guidance. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a pre-med club at your school? Are you involved in any other clubs? I'm not sure how much time your jobs take up, but I would try to join at least one.

Good job on starting your shadowing/volunteering earlier than I did :p

-I'm a sophomore.
-I currently have a 3.67cGPA with a 3.71 sGPA as a Biology major.
-I don't plan on taking the MCAT until spring my junior year.

1) I just started volunteering/shadowing a little over a month ago at a hospital. At this hospital, my volunteer time is mainly spent shadowing, but I do occasionally work there. Do I count this as both clinical volunteering AND shadowing? or just volunteering since that's technically what I'm signed up for?

2) I'm currently in the process of trying to get a volunteer spot somewhere to do some coaching/recreational teaching for kids.

3) I also work two jobs. One is with a non-profit with heavily service-oriented goals (Not sure if the nature of my work is a factor).

4) would like some feedback as to where I should head from here. I have an open summer coming up, and I certainly don't want to waste it.
1) Some would split out the time spent shadowing and list it separately. Hopefully, with time you will be permitted more direct patient interaction. Be helpful and willing, and more opportunities should come along. If not, you may need to explore another venue like hospice, nursing home, or clinic environments. Stick with it though, as you'll want more than a year of this type of activity on your application (1.5 years being about the average).

2) Sounds good. Also consider, scouts, Big Brother/Big Sister, after-school programs, summer camps.

3) Depends on your role. Is this an avenue for leadership?

4) Eventually shadow a few types of doc, including office-based primary care. About 50 hours is average; but 60-80 hours is a good goal. Teaching (coaching/tutoring/TAing/mentoring), leadership, nonmedical community servce, and research are all good to strengthen an application. Maybe a summer research gig would be a good goal. This is the time to apply to labs toward that purpose. If things work out, you might continue on during the school year as well. A year of research is about the average, but even a summer's worth helps your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buttermellow, there is a pre-med club here, but I wouldn't be able to join it until near the end of the semester. I'm not really involved in clubs at school really, because my week is generally full from working. I think I'm going to apply for the pre-med one though anyway.

I really wasn't even considering it anymore, but you made me give it more thought, and I figure it could only help. Thanks!

Catalystik, I'll follow your form:

1) I was thinking of either splitting the time in half (shadowing/volunteering), or stating the same amount of hours as both, but say that they were generally interchangeable (which is completely true). I find this situation tricky. I looked at free clinics last winter, and couldn't find any honestly. Most of the "free clinics" are organizations where doctors say they'll admit X number of patients free of charge for a given period of time. Not sure what I can do with that besides trying to get into contact with the doctors.

2)I was in Boy Scouts from second grade until my senior year of high school and engaged in hundreds upon hundreds of hours throughout my scouting career. I was extremely active and held top senior positions for my last three years. I am hesitant though to list any of these as they all happened before I entered college. If it means anything, I left because I left my home state to go to college.

3)My official title is an intern, but I do regularly have assignments that are essential to the well-being of the company (it's very small). Also, if it means anything, I was asked by board members to organize and run (literally everything) a county-wide spelling bee for schools. If that does constitute leadership, that would only count as one role for a limited time, and I feel that would be not enough.

4)Shadowing different types of doctors is what I had in mind. Just one more question. Research isn't something that interests me at this moment. Is this going to hurt me?

I apologize for the length. Thank you for reading the suggestions, however.

1) If you are always shadowing that implies that a physician is 100% of the time in the room with you. If this is so, make it clear in the description, as well as making clear in what ways you personally assisted. You could, alternatively estimate the relative % time with each type of activity and say that in the description.

2) If you get involved with a local troop, maybe as a badge teacher, eg, you would have a good excuse to mention all your previous scout invovlement in the description.

3) It would be leadership if you manage a goup of people and coordinate their efforts. If you do all the work yourself, it's a project. Even if it's brief, it's better than nothing.

4) If you are extra strong in another area, the lack of research would have less negative impact. Keep in mind that about 60% of applicants list research. Schools vary in their emphasis on research, but for some schools, 70-95% of acceptees had research. For others, 45% had it. The MSAR has this data. You might minimize research strong schools on your application list.