yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
i'm not ready and i'm so depressed about it. i'm going to be applying this year and if i take them in august my application will be held up.
i'm totally stagnant at this point..can't work at all..just caught up in my thoughts..annoyance at my self for not being ready at this point.
is anyone else in this position?
please help:(

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2004
Southeastern, Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
yalla22 said:
i'm not ready and i'm so depressed about it. i'm going to be applying this year and if i take them in august my application will be held up.
i'm totally stagnant at this point..can't work at all..just caught up in my thoughts..annoyance at my self for not being ready at this point.

Hey don't worry about it, alot of us are in the same boat. I don't feel ready in the least. I have a full load of classes to worry about to up my GPA and this exam to study for as well. Being on break now, I am catching up on about - oh - 40 some chapters in Kaplan. I don't want to take it in August either for the same reason. But I am just taking whatever this free time I have and plowing through this material (of course allowing some fun times at night :laugh: ) Just hang in there are study as hard as you can... are you in a prep course? You still have 5 weeks, plenty of time to learn this material, and hey at least it will now be fresh in your head compared to this who started studying a year ago! Good luck, you can do it, just don't give up!!!:) :thumbup:

|
|
|
|
V :luck:

medicomel

Purveyor of short posts.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
a stone's throw away from reality
www.google.com
Status
Attending Physician
i don't feel ready either. just when i thought i have a grip on acids and bases, i discovered that i've forgotten the major hormones. just keep on going, trying to keep as much of what you reviewed alive by going over flashcards.

and when you're bored, pull out a verbal passage and have at it.

good luck to us all. :scared:

SpeedRacer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
hey, my friend gave me some good advice about a week ago. just think about how much time five weeks really is. that is a ton of time if you utilize it well. the only thing you're doing by worrying is wasting that time. you still have time now! if it were 2 wks you'd probably be in trouble. but take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. just sit and think....aaaahhhh...i have five whole weeks. mmmmm....tasty.
oh also, make a schedule and stick to it. certain # of chapters a day, etc. so that you're taking practice tests by a certain time. good luck.

yalla22 said:

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
the bay
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I am working 40 hours a week and trying to pull this off. It is doable. Just have to keep at it. Otherwise, come July, you will be back to complaining about the same thing.

diosa428

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status
FrogE7 said:
I am working 40 hours a week and trying to pull this off. It is doable. Just have to keep at it. Otherwise, come July, you will be back to complaining about the same thing.

I agree with this, you don't want to be studying in July. Also, if worst comes to worst and you bomb, you can always take them again in August - that option doesn't exist if you wait until August to take them the first time. Make a study schedule, and stick to it. I found that once I had something in front of me to follow, I started using my time much more efficiently.

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Status
FrogE7 said:

same here... but working four 10 hr shifts so I have 3 days off a week to study..

Looking to call in sick a few days before the test so I can relax and take some practice tests!

A full load in college is no piece of cake either, though.. everyone stay focused! You still have a lot of time left!

=)

Future MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Lebanon, TN
Status
I struggle with the feeling that I'm not ready too :scared: , but you know what ;) ? You'll never know unless you go for it :thumbup: The advise here is golden :idea: Just get busy and bust that MCAT wide open :mad:
Keep telling yourself, "33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, 33, ..."

GuzzyRon

Son of the Son of Man
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Under the shadow of the Almighty
Status
Attending Physician
yalla22 said:
Don't be depressed, yalla. I don't feel prepared either. I spent about 9 hours sometime in January studying genetics alone. And another 3 hours or so a few days later revising everything I've read. And so imagine how depressed and disappointed I was when I got stuck on 2 - 3 genetics questions on my diags. I am beginning to question my A's in Biology, Chem, Orgo and Physics. Even though I feel so ******ed at this point, but the last thing I'm going to do is to give up. I know there are many people in medical school right now who are just as smart as me or maybe even worse. So, I'm not going to let anything steal my confidence and make me throw in the towel...I'm gonna keep pushing until time is called on April 16th :)

NontradICUdoc

Why so Serious?????
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia Area
Status
Attending Physician
First off, relax. As was mentioned before you still have 5 weeks. I am certainly not ready for the April test so I am going to have to wait for the August test. Then again, I have a career, am in a Master's program, writing a thesis, and have a family.

If you need to take it in August so be it. Did you ever see "Dead Poets Society"? Change your point of view.

Do not think that you application will be held up and you will not get in. Do you really think that if you do poorly on the April exam that you will have a fighting chance? Or would you rather your application be held up a little and then be truly prepared and have a good score?

Also, the way that I am thinking is, yeah some spots have already been given in the rolling admission schools, but at the same time, those that applied and did not have the right combination were already removed from the pool thus reducing the application pool that you are competing against.

You want to make a great first impression, if you put off the test and give yourself 6 more months to study and rock the test, don't you think you would feel better about yourself and the schools would look more favorably on your application?

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I was studying for physiology last night with 2 friends in my MS1 class, and we figured out that we all took the *AUGUST* 2003 MCAT at the same site.

August MCAT is not the kiss of death. Getting a crappy score because you didn't have enough time to study is the kiss of death.

"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run" (with apologies to those who don't like country music)

DrMojorisin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
While I agree you shouldn't take the MCAT in april if you arent getting at least about a 27 on the AAMC review material, you still have plenty of time to accomplish that. 9s and 10s on april MCAT will get you into most med schools. They won't hurt you if you decide to retake in august for a better med school.

To put things in perspective, the first time I took the MCAT way back in undergrad, I only studied 1 week. I was a 3.3 student (3.2 science). I had a drug abuse problem at that time. I only got a 27 on ACT, so I am not some master of standardized tests. I got all 9s on that MCAT. Which would have been good enough for the med schools I was going to apply to, but I wasn't ready in other ways, obviously, at that point.

So don't give up on yourself or april MCATs yet!!! I know you see a lot of ppl talking about 2 months of 5 hour a day studying and 35+ scores on here, but these ppl don't really exist in significant quantites in application pools. They are outliers. I know ppl who've gotten into med school with 22s on the MCAT, and the average is only 30 or so at most schools, which means half the people admitted don't even score a 30. Instead of worrying about switching to august, just focus on maximizing your efficiency in the next 5 weeks. That is more than enough time to score 30+. Even 35+. If you wanted a 45, well then you're just insane anyway. You don't need that good a score to get in, and once you're in the MCAT no longer matters. Lets face it, its really not even relevant to how good a doctor you will make. Its just a way to discriminate (and yes it gives a big advantage to the wealthy with better prep materials/options and more prep time).

Daichi Katase

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
Status
nah....45 is too high. I was going for 43. Long ways to go. :smuggrin:

cliff MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2004
Status
You shouldnt be depressed. I just started studying a couple of days ago. Just look at it this way, when the time comes and you are not ready, dont show up at the test center. I read something on the aamc site that you can get a refund if you did not take the test. Dont give up without figthing.

DrMojorisin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
At the very least you should study hard til the last week, take a full length AAMC, then decide. If you decide not to at that point, you'll still be much more ready in August. Its way too early to consider cancelling. Who knows, you may even be able to pull a 43 still :)

americanidiot

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
I think the biggest mistake people make is to think that they do not know the material. You took all the classes you need to ace this exam. What your classes have distinctly NOT taught you is how to manage an eight hour multiple choice bonanza like the MCAT.

That said: I would not read any more textbooks.

I would only take practice passages, score your answers, commit yourself to understanding answers, and MOST importantly, evaluate mentally how you approached the passage. Did you get nervous at unfamiliar material? Did you get scared by a longer-than-average passage? Did you struggle with your memory of formulae? These are questions that will yield the most fruitful gains if corrected. Board exams are board exams - they test how well you take the exam than how much you actually know. Many people ace this exam without having a super thorough knowledge of the subjects because they are very familiar with how they themselves think and how to apply their individual intellect to an individual problem. Know thyself.

run_4ever

waiting........
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2005
Status
americanidiot said:
I think the biggest mistake people make is to think that they do not know the material. You took all the classes you need to ace this exam. What your classes have distinctly NOT taught you is how to manage an eight hour multiple choice bonanza like the MCAT.

That said: I would not read any more textbooks.

I would only take practice passages, score your answers, commit yourself to understanding answers, and MOST importantly, evaluate mentally how you approached the passage. Did you get nervous at unfamiliar material? Did you get scared by a longer-than-average passage? Did you struggle with your memory of formulae? These are questions that will yield the most fruitful gains if corrected. Board exams are board exams - they test how well you take the exam than how much you actually know. Many people ace this exam without having a super thorough knowledge of the subjects because they are very familiar with how they themselves think and how to apply their individual intellect to an individual problem. Know thyself.
I think this is sound advice and I am now working solely on passage-based problems and sample tests. However, the only thing I might add is that for me there was a significant amount of time between taking some of the pre-req's and sitting for this exam. For those who have been out of school for a few (or more) years, a certain amount of review is essential to doing well. Make sure you have a pretty good command of the topics, and then work those problems.

Chachie2682

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Chicago
Status
MeowMix said:
I was studying for physiology last night with 2 friends in my MS1 class, and we figured out that we all took the *AUGUST* 2003 MCAT at the same site.

August MCAT is not the kiss of death. Getting a crappy score because you didn't have enough time to study is the kiss of death.

"You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run" (with apologies to those who don't like country music)
I agree! I took August MCAT, was accepted by november.