I'm not sure how I can overcome this.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisismyacct

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sophomore here. I got terrible grades last year and so far it isn't looking so good this year either. I only managed a 2.50 last year and so far this year I only have 1 A and the rest are C's.

I just feel like I won't be able to succeed. It's just this feeling in my gut and my gut is usually right. I just can't consistently study, can't focus in class, and everyone else seems to get everything flawlessly. I have my second orgo exam tomorrow and I'm probably S.O.L for that.

My prerequisite grades so far are as follows:

• bio 1: B-

• bio 1 lab: C+

• bio 2: B

• chem 1: D

• chem 1 lab: C-

• chem 2: D

• chem 2 lab: B-
I think the best case scenario for this semester could be:

• Microbiology: B

• orgo 1: C

• orgo 1 lab: B
That's clearly not good enough. I just feel like its too late to switch my career plans and even if I were to switch idk what I would do instead. I'd also feel like a disappointment since I would be letting myself and my parents down.

Basically what I'm asking is:

• 1. Anyone else ever feel like this?
  • 2. Should I just say screw it and change my major, career plans, etc.?
  • 3. advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Well if nothing changes then yes you're fighting an unlikely and uphill battle. Two options are available to you. If a healthcare field requiring these pre-reqs PA, DPT, OD, Dentistry, Medicine, Pharm is important to you(as in you can't see yourself not doing something in this arena) then you need to self-reflect about why you aren't performing the way you want.

Laziness? Can't help you there, these things require sacrifice of time and effort.
Motivation? Too flimsy. You want to change your mindset to one of discipline rather than waiting for the odd time you feel like studying
Method? As in method of studying, ask your peers, go to your learning center at school, talk with your professors about the strategies they recommend. Maybe you need to focus less on really understanding the why and instead hammer out practice problems first before you can go back and match it to the reasons. For chemistry maybe you simply need to see the light that is Chad's videos, Pushing Electrons, Organic Chem as a Second Language, Khan Academy.
Health? Sometimes ppl need therapy/medication to mitigate learning disabilities and that's okay.

Keep in mind you can slow down and take one pre-req per semester and get most of them done that way. Doing well is more important than doing them or doing them quickly.

Other option. You're a sophomore who isn't even in your second semester. A change in major/career is perfectly fine and there is plenty of time to do it. You may find you're better suited to a different discipline or you may find yourself so horrified with everything else that you come back to your current path. Don't worry about letting your parents or outsiders down. In the end you're left with yourself and what makes you happy. Take one semester and try a comp sci course, a intro business course, communications even (there's a pattern here and it's skills that are marketable in a wide variety of fields). You have all the time in the world to pick a field, focus on gaining the skills that will make it easy to join whichever field you eventually decide upon.

One method that I at one point resorted to was studying in increments of 15-20mins followed by a 5 min break. During the study periods I made myself refrain from answering phone calls, texts, surfing the web. Those 15 mins were 100% about the material. It was what it took at the time to do well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
When I was struggling early on in undergrad I quickly got help from my school's tutoring center. I was getting C's on 1st exams and then turned it all around and ended up getting A's. It was a lot of work, probably spent about 5 hours there everyday, but I eventually figured stuff out on my own and was fine sophomore, junior, and senior years. If you really want it, you can do it. If you're heart isn't in it I would start to evaluate what you would like for your future if it isn't dentistry.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't mean to be a d*ck when I say this, but whatever you are doing to study is clearly not working. I want you to be supercritical of yourself and honestly evaluate how you prepare for your tests. From anecdotal experience, I have come across many friends who brush off poor test performances with, "oh man, the material is just too hard! I studied for over 10 hours at the library every day and still failed!" Yet, they fail to realize that they wasted 7 of those 10 hours talking to friends, eating, web browsing, etc. There is a difference between hours spent at the library and hours spent studying. Once you can differentiate between the two, you can really see whether or not you are putting in enough effort.

Reactions: 2 users
The world isn't over bud. Do your best and then keep working hard at it. This is a journey and a learning process. Maybe things don't come naturally to you and you need more time at it. Figure out your routine and identify the weak spots and aim to strengthen them.

You will need to take postbacc courses and/or a Masters to help offset this. I wouldn't expect to continue as a traditional student and I think you've realized that as well.

Sophomore here. I got terrible grades last year and so far it isn't looking so good this year either. I only managed a 2.50 last year and so far this year I only have 1 A and the rest are C's.

I just feel like I won't be able to succeed. It's just this feeling in my gut and my gut is usually right. I just can't consistently study, can't focus in class, and everyone else seems to get everything flawlessly. I have my second orgo exam tomorrow and I'm probably S.O.L for that.

Look, I'm going to be honest and you need to be as well. The reason we feel we won't do well is because we have not prepared. If we are prepared, we may not feel ready but we tend to believe it will be okay at worst. Outside of that, I always told my students that their attitude determines their altitude. Once you start thinking you won't succeed, that definitely becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. This is in general

Onto your statements. If you can't study in class, you can't focus, and you think everyone else is just magically absorbing the material, there's no way you'd survive studying for the DAT let alone be able to take the rigors of dental school. Why can't you study? Why can't you focus? Most smart students are smart because they've put in the work when they are in class, but more importantly, when they are out of class as well. Very VERY few people are Will Hunting but as soon you believe everyone must be Will Hunting, you automatically set yourself up for failure.

You're a guy with no cardio, you don't practice walking, jogging, let alone running yet you go to these marathons everytime and seem to place near the bottom. Those guys are who are finishing in 2.5-3 hours, they've put in the work. They don't just get to where they are. You have to be willing to put in the work if you want to be a marathon runner. You can't say "I'm tired, I don't want to jog"....if you don't want to jog, that simply means you don't want to be a marathon runner. Realize that now and find something else IF THAT IS TRULY THE CASE.

• I just feel like its too late to switch my career plans and even if I were to switch idk what I would do instead. I'd also feel like a disappointment since I would be letting myself and my parents down.

• 3. advice?

Is it too late? Dude, realize you are a young buck. There are a bunch of us who are in our late 20s, 30s, and even some in their 40s choosing this route. It's rarely ever "too late" and you are not alone. You are talking a change in your educational path, don't worry, most students do and most adults will go through 10 or more jobs in their lifetime.

If you want to become a dentist, those grades won't stop you BUT if you "CAN'T FOCUS, CAN'T STUDY", honestly, I would not be going to school the traditional route and college isn't for me if I truly felt that way. Nearly all of the student's I've met who say those 4 words, it's due to laziness, lack of motivation, and a way out.

Talk to your classmates who are doing well and see if they can offer you any advice. This is a learning process, so continue to work hard but be patient with yourself. I'll be completely honest with you, but most people don't learn how to study until they reach medical or dental school. I was in medical school for a year, then decided to change career paths. Even though it didn't work out for me, it really taught me how to study. It was very difficult from the beginning, but I continued to find ways to improve and manage time more wisely. Ask around to see if there are any old exams floating around (these will become more rare once you reach graduate school but an excellent study tool if you can get your hands on them). Lastly, consider doing a 1 year masters program after undergrad if you need further GPA boosting.

I'll be completely honest with you, but most people don't learn how to study until they reach medical or dental school. I was in medical school for a year, then decided to change career paths. Even though it didn't work out for me, it really taught me how to study. It was very difficult from the beginning, but I continued to find ways to improve and manage time more wisely.

That's something very useful, if you have any specific tips please do share.

Well if nothing changes then yes you're fighting an unlikely and uphill battle. Two options are available to you. If a healthcare field requiring these pre-reqs PA, DPT, OD, Dentistry, Medicine, Pharm is important to you(as in you can't see yourself not doing something in this arena) then you need to self-reflect about why you aren't performing the way you want.

Laziness? Can't help you there, these things require sacrifice of time and effort.
Motivation? Too flimsy. You want to change your mindset to one of discipline rather than waiting for the odd time you feel like studying
Method? As in method of studying, ask your peers, go to your learning center at school, talk with your professors about the strategies they recommend. Maybe you need to focus less on really understanding the why and instead hammer out practice problems first before you can go back and match it to the reasons. For chemistry maybe you simply need to see the light that is Chad's videos, Pushing Electrons, Organic Chem as a Second Language, Khan Academy.
Health? Sometimes ppl need therapy/medication to mitigate learning disabilities and that's okay.

Keep in mind you can slow down and take one pre-req per semester and get most of them done that way. Doing well is more important than doing them or doing them quickly.

Other option. You're a sophomore who isn't even in your second semester. A change in major/career is perfectly fine and there is plenty of time to do it. You may find you're better suited to a different discipline or you may find yourself so horrified with everything else that you come back to your current path. Don't worry about letting your parents or outsiders down. In the end you're left with yourself and what makes you happy. Take one semester and try a comp sci course, a intro business course, communications even (there's a pattern here and it's skills that are marketable in a wide variety of fields). You have all the time in the world to pick a field, focus on gaining the skills that will make it easy to join whichever field you eventually decide upon.

One method that I at one point resorted to was studying in increments of 15-20mins followed by a 5 min break. During the study periods I made myself refrain from answering phone calls, texts, surfing the web. Those 15 mins were 100% about the material. It was what it took at the time to do well.

I think my problems might be I'm kinda lazy and I rely too much on motivation. Like when I actually want to study I study really well but because I don't do it consistently, I'm unable to recall the information well on the test. Like I'll see a question and be like "I remember studying this but I just can't remember." I think this problem can be remedied by maybe studying consistently (ex: studying 1 hour everyday instead of 3 hours 2x a week).

I'll check out those resources for chem.

Healthwise I actually went to the doctor and told them lately I haven't been able to focus, I'm thinking about getting tested for ADHD.

I don't mean to be a d*ck when I say this, but whatever you are doing to study is clearly not working. I want you to be supercritical of yourself and honestly evaluate how you prepare for your tests. From anecdotal experience, I have come across many friends who brush off poor test performances with, "oh man, the material is just too hard! I studied for over 10 hours at the library every day and still failed!" Yet, they fail to realize that they wasted 7 of those 10 hours talking to friends, eating, web browsing, etc. There is a difference between hours spent at the library and hours spent studying. Once you can differentiate between the two, you can really see whether or not you are putting in enough effort.

Haha don't worry, you're not rude at all. I think the problem is consistency and lately I've been getting more and more distracted while studying.

My prerequisite grades so far are as follows:

• bio 1: B-

• bio 1 lab: C+

• bio 2: B

• chem 1: D

• chem 1 lab: C-

• chem 2: D

• chem 2 lab: B-
I think the best case scenario for this semester could be:

• Microbiology: B

• orgo 1: C

• orgo 1 lab: B
That's clearly not good enough. I just feel like its too late to switch my career plans and even if I were to switch idk what I would do instead. I'd also feel like a disappointment since I would be letting myself and my parents down.

• 3. advice?
I've felt the exact same way you felt up until spring quarter of my junior year. Grade-wise I was a bit better off overall but C's and pass/fail were not uncommon on my transcript. You have one more year than I did to showcase yourself. For me, it took a personal experience in dentistry to see that I really wanted to do this. I prioritized my time better and was more motivated to study. I think if you could find that kind of motivation shadowing or volunteering then no doubt you can make it happen.

Look, I'm going to be honest and you need to be as well. The reason we feel we won't do well is because we have not prepared. If we are prepared, we may not feel ready but we tend to believe it will be okay at worst. Outside of that, I always told my students that their attitude determines their altitude. Once you start thinking you won't succeed, that definitely becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. This is in general

Onto your statements. If you can't study in class, you can't focus, and you think everyone else is just magically absorbing the material, there's no way you'd survive studying for the DAT let alone be able to take the rigors of dental school. Why can't you study? Why can't you focus? Most smart students are smart because they've put in the work when they are in class, but more importantly, when they are out of class as well. Very VERY few people are Will Hunting but as soon you believe everyone must be Will Hunting, you automatically set yourself up for failure.

You're a guy with no cardio, you don't practice walking, jogging, let alone running yet you go to these marathons everytime and seem to place near the bottom. Those guys are who are finishing in 2.5-3 hours, they've put in the work. They don't just get to where they are. You have to be willing to put in the work if you want to be a marathon runner. You can't say "I'm tired, I don't want to jog"....if you don't want to jog, that simply means you don't want to be a marathon runner. Realize that now and find something else IF THAT IS TRULY THE CASE.

Is it too late? Dude, realize you are a young buck. There are a bunch of us who are in our late 20s, 30s, and even some in their 40s choosing this route. It's rarely ever "too late" and you are not alone. You are talking a change in your educational path, don't worry, most students do and most adults will go through 10 or more jobs in their lifetime.

If you want to become a dentist, those grades won't stop you BUT if you "CAN'T FOCUS, CAN'T STUDY", honestly, I would not be going to school the traditional route and college isn't for me if I truly felt that way. Nearly all of the student's I've met who say those 4 words, it's due to laziness, lack of motivation, and a way out.

Why can't I study? I think it might be laziness and I don't do it consistently. No idea why I can't focus, I was never like this before, no problems in HS.

That's something very useful, if you have any specific tips please do share.

I posted this in another thread but I used a 4-5 pass system:

1st pass = preview
2nd pass = lecture
3rd pass = next day review
4th pass = weekend review

I used an excel sheet and listed out all of my lectures for each class and put an "x" next to each lecture I reviewed. I found that even when I felt completely overwhelmed by the workload, I could take some confidence in knowing I was exposed to the lecture material a certain amount of times. I did everything to keep my confidence up and I think that played a big part in my performance on test day. If you aren't sick of seeing the material by then, you need to go back and make sure you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I think my problems might be I'm kinda lazy and I rely too much on motivation. Like when I actually want to study I study really well but because I don't do it consistently, I'm unable to recall the information well on the test. Like I'll see a question and be like "I remember studying this but I just can't remember." I think this problem can be remedied by maybe studying consistently (ex: studying 1 hour everyday instead of 3 hours 2x a week).

Healthwise I actually went to the doctor and told them lately I haven't been able to focus, I'm thinking about getting tested for ADHD.
It might not be laziness, it might be lack of interest in the field. I would be lazy also if I did not like something and was just doing it for the sake of it. I think you may need to check if you are really passionate about healthcare.
Best wishes.

I posted this in another thread but I used a 4-5 pass system:

1st pass = preview
2nd pass = lecture
3rd pass = next day review
4th pass = weekend review

I used an excel sheet and listed out all of my lectures for each class and put an "x" next to each lecture I reviewed. I found that even when I felt completely overwhelmed by the workload, I could take some confidence in knowing I was exposed to the lecture material a certain amount of times. I did everything to keep my confidence up and I think that played a big part in my performance on test day. If you aren't sick of seeing the material by then, you need to go back and make sure you are.

I like this strategy. After that next day review did you really not do anything until the weekend?

I like this strategy. After that next day review did you really not do anything until the weekend?

I normally have 4 classes a day so there's always something to review. So basically each day I'd look at 12 lectures: 4 from the previous day (next-day review), 4 from simply attending that day's lectures and 4 for the next day (preview).

Saturdays I'd spend all day reviewing 20 lectures in detail. Sunday I'd do questions. It's a very strict schedule and I'm sure it won't be that bad for you since you're still in undergrad but keep that in the back of your mind for the future. Hope that helps!

I normally have 4 classes a day so there's always something to review. So basically each day I'd look at 12 lectures: 4 from the previous day (next-day review), 4 from simply attending that day's lectures and 4 for the next day (preview).

Saturdays I'd spend all day reviewing 20 lectures in detail. Sunday I'd do questions. It's a very strict schedule and I'm sure it won't be that bad for you since you're still in undergrad but keep that in the back of your mind for the future. Hope that helps!

that makes more sense

I don't think it's a lack of ability. As someone who's been on both ends of the spectrum (of laziness and hard work) I understand the feeling of not wanting to do work. personally I hate the library, people socialize and don't get work done. I study on my own and reinforce with other people that I KNOW are smart and do well also. I've never gotten under a 3 being lazy (I feel like I deserve to do worse lol) and I've gotten 3.8s working hard so I've been up and down. I can't stand reading stuff and staring at slides. rewrite your slides in your own words and do tons of problems; hasn't failed me yet if I actually started on time and stuck to it.

My oldest son was premed when he started college. Science and math did not work out for him. He switched to political science which he liked, and after graduation went to law school. He is 31 now doing M&A and probably makes lots more than me. I like what I do, and he clearly likes what he does. Not becoming a physician was not a disappointment for me or him. Do what you like and you will never have to work a day in your life. Follow YOUR dream. Your parents will line up behind your success.

Reactions: 1 users

I would check to see if the problem is deeper than that. It sounds like you are not actually sitting down to study because you may feel like you are fighting a huge uphill battle, and it is overwhelming. It could be anxiety. Do you feel overwhelmed? Does looking at the course material make you feel like you know nothing about what is going on? And then do you find yourself trying to distract yourself with something else? Do you feel backed into a corner the night before the exam, so you do your best to cram? Like you said, when you actually do put the time and effort itln, you do well, right?
These are all questions to consider. It sounds like your intelligence is not the issue, and you can handle it. But really think about those questions and see what resources are available at school. Tutoring maybe? Or you can try making a very strict schedule for yourself. 3 hours 2x a week won't cut it. Honestly, an hour a day won't cut it either.
Like others have said, this indy your 3rd semester. Your GPA has lots of room to grow because you don't have many credits. Lighten your course load next semester so you can do well and build some confidence.

Lots of people have been in your position. Don't doubt yourself. Find the root of the issue and I'm sure you can overcome this. The fact that you recognize it is a great sign. You can do this!

I would check to see if the problem is deeper than that. It sounds like you are not actually sitting down to study because you may feel like you are fighting a huge uphill battle, and it is overwhelming. It could be anxiety. Do you feel overwhelmed? Does looking at the course material make you feel like you know nothing about what is going on? And then do you find yourself trying to distract yourself with something else? Do you feel backed into a corner the night before the exam, so you do your best to cram? Like you said, when you actually do put the time and effort itln, you do well, right?
These are all questions to consider. It sounds like your intelligence is not the issue, and you can handle it. But really think about those questions and see what resources are available at school. Tutoring maybe? Or you can try making a very strict schedule for yourself. 3 hours 2x a week won't cut it. Honestly, an hour a day won't cut it either.
Like others have said, this indy your 3rd semester. Your GPA has lots of room to grow because you don't have many credits. Lighten your course load next semester so you can do well and build some confidence.

Lots of people have been in your position. Don't doubt yourself. Find the root of the issue and I'm sure you can overcome this. The fact that you recognize it is a great sign. You can do this!

Wow that first paragraph is pretty spot on. I'll sit down, look over my assignment or whatever and If I don't get it immediately I'll go to something else.