I'm not sure if I can go to medical school anymore.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkeyes77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been recently searching through NIH websites regarding US Citizenship / Permanent Residency. I found this website: http://www.naahp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=3312
I had no idea that medical schools could do this up until this point. My parents and I are in the process of obtaining a green card. I have a I-485 Adjustment of Status, work permit and EAD and have been in the US for 17 years legally; I came here at the age of 3. I got really scared today after finding out that my chances of attending a top US med school is ruined. However, I'm not completely sure they are. Does the I-485 Adjustment of Status count as permanent residency even w/o GC? I also read that non permanent resident applicants can apply for MD/PhD w/o too much of hassle as given to those only applying for MD. I really need someone to verify this. I feel so stupid now thinking about how I potentially have wasted so much time and effort doing those stupid pre-reqs.

A little info:

Currently a Junior @ University of California, Berkeley
Major: Chemical Engineering
cGPA: 4.00, sGPA: 4.00
MCAT: 42R - 15 PS, 14 BS, 13 VR

200 hours of volunteering at local hospital
90 hours of shadowing with 6 different types of doctors
200 hours of working with blind and special needs children
Researched in 4 different labs for 2.5 years (3 Science, 1 Psychology); 5th in Polymers
Author of 4 Publications in Psychology, Physiology, and ChemE;
Math, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics paid tutor for 3+ years.
Teaching Assistant for Chemistry and Physics for 4 semesters
Chess Team for 3 years
Volunteered in India at blind kids' missionary for 2 summers - total of 12 weeks
Secretary of Tau Beta Pi
Golden Key Officer
President of Active Minds
Secretary of American Institute of Chemical Engineers
Karate for 2 years
Swim Team for 6 years - quit last semester
Internship at FERMILAB for 3 weeks

I took the GRE as well as the MCAT and have a near perfect score on both exams.

If it matters, I'm an Asian Indian.

So here are my options:

1. Just apply to medical schools even though I'm going to get crushed by most schools.
2. Apply for MD/PhD and not get NIH funding - basically 50K/ 8 years
3. Basically quit any chances of MD and just apply for MS in ChemE at MIT, Stanford, Berkeley etc...

I would like some insight on this please. I don't know what to do. If the I-485 doesn't count then I might have to just quit all aspirations of becoming an MD and just stick with engineering. I really can't believe medical schools would put such a lame restriction such as this even on those who have been living in the US for such a long time and will continue to live here after obtaining a GC.

Apparently, Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, Baylor, U Chicago, and Duke accept a small number of "international" students. If I'm considered international then I wil have a very small chance of getting in. Don't know whether it is worth the time and effort ...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been recently searching through NIH websites regarding US Citizenship / Permanent Residency. I found this website: http://www.naahp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=3312
I had no idea that medical schools could do this up until this point. My parents and I are in the process of obtaining a green card. I have a I-485 Adjustment of Status, work permit and EAD and have been in the US for 17 years legally; I came here at the age of 3. I got really scared today after finding out that my chances of attending a top US med school is ruined. However, I'm not completely sure they are. Does the I-485 Adjustment of Status count as permanent residency even w/o GC? I also read that non permanent resident applicants can apply for MD/PhD w/o too much of hassle as given to those only applying for MD. I really need someone to verify this. I feel so stupid now thinking about how I potentially have wasted so much time and effort doing those stupid pre-reqs.

My Stats:

Researched in 4 different labs for 2.5 years (3 Science, 1 Psychology); 5th in Polymers
Chess Team for 3 years
Volunteered in India at blind kids’ missionary for 2 summers - total of 12 weeks
Secretary of Tau Beta Pi
Golden Key Officer
Karate for 2 years

So here are my options:

1. Just apply to medical schools even though I'm going to get crushed by most schools.
3. Basically quit any chances of MD and just apply for MS in ChemE at MIT, Stanford, Berkeley etc...

I would like some insight on this please. I don't know what to do. If the I-485 doesn't count then I might have to just quit all aspirations of becoming an MD and just stick with engineering. I really can't believe medical schools would put such a lame restriction such as this even on those who have been living in the US for such a long time and will continue to live here after obtaining a GC.

Apparently, Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, Baylor, U Chicago, and Duke accept a small number of "international" students. If I'm considered international then I wil have a very small chance of getting in. Don't know whether it is worth the time and effort ...

Try Caribbean. If you really are a smart guy with those stats (and not trolling), then you can get a good residency after a Caribbean medical school once you destroy that USMLE.

Try Caribbean. If you really are a smart guy with those stats (and not trolling), then you can get a good residency after a Caribbean medical school once you destroy that USMLE.

I'm not "trolling". I don't think I would want go to Caribbean schools. I just emailed my college counselor about this situation and am waiting to hear back :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not "trolling". I don't think I would want go to Caribbean schools. I just emailed my college counselor about this situation and waiting to hear back :(

Then just wait it out until you get your papers. (not sure how long it will take). But if it becomes unsuccessful and you go to a Caribbean school, then you may get to be a doctor in your country too.

In the mean time, improve your EC's. A person with your stats really should be able to get into medical school. Try schools that accept international.

Then just wait it out until you get your papers. (not sure how long it will take). But if it becomes unsuccessful and you go to a Caribbean school, then you may get to be a doctor in your country too.

In the mean time, improve your EC's. A person with your stats really should be able to get into medical school. Try schools that accept international.

I'm trying to get a job as a hospital scribe. I'm not really sure what other things I could do to strengthen ECs. We eventually have to get our papers successfully finished. Until then we are still legal residents because of an I-485. But what I am not sure of is whether or not the I-485 can be used in place of a green card and I could be treated fairly as other applicants would be.

I'm trying to get a job as a hospital scribe. I'm not really sure what other things I could do to strengthen ECs. We eventually have to get our papers successfully finished. Until then we are still legal residents because of an I-485. But what I am not sure of is whether or not the I-485 can be used in place of a green card and I could be treated fairly as other applicants would be.

Don't sweat it man, and keep applying and concentrate. You should be considered a resident( because unless you've committed a crime you will get your green card).
Concentrate on your application and good luck!

Guy links an application competitive for a top tier MD/PHD and folks are like "go Caribbean." Love this website sometimes.

I wouldn't stress, you should be able to get your green card and even if you don't you'll get into a US MD school with those stats (with or without a green card).

Medical schools like harvard and boston university dont matter if u r international student or not, and there are some other schools that cosider international as any other US citizen.
I read that in their websites.

Dnt give up dude

Suggest talking to an immigration lawyer instead of an anonymous forum.

A little info:

Chess Team for 3 years
Volunteered in India at blind kids’ missionary for 2 summers - total of 12 weeks
Secretary of Tau Beta Pi
Golden Key Officer
Karate for 2 years

So here are my options:

You'll get in anywhere XD

I hope you take the time to kindly leave SDN and never post again.