I'm not sure with my scores where I should apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kadify

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just took the Dat today (ugh this is literally the worst test in history) and got decent scores, nothing crazy good but also not exceptionally bad either.

AA 20 | OC 20 | GC 20 | Bio 18 | RC 21 | QR 22 | Pat 25

And I have my entire applicaiton done, I was just waiting to take the DAT to send it since I didn't want to pay to send it if i didn't do well and these are the schools I have listed

UCLA
USC
UCSF
UoP
UC (denver)
Arizona State
Temple
Nova
UF
Lecom
Harvard
UoMaryland
NYU

I know I might need to adjust my list since i'm pretty sure at least 2 of the schools really wouldn't consider me with only a 20 AA...

Any advice? I know it's great to have a reach school, and tbh Harvard has been SUPER accomodating with me since i'm applying without a GPA, as has NYU, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to apply?

Additionally, is it worth it to mention in my personal statement I've only taken 1 bio course (genetics) and is thus partially the reason why I scored so low in that section? (Not that I did that much better in the chemistries though...)

Members don't see this ad.

I am a little confused when you say "since i'm applying without a GPA" and "I've only taken 1 bio course". Are you applying this cycle and how do you not have a GPA? No one can give you any advice if you don't provide a GPA.

I don't have a gpa. I go to NCF, the honors school of florida, and similar to cornell we have pass/fail grades so... no GPA. And I only took 1 bio class. I'm a chemistry major and sort of didn't pace myself very well and took way too much chemistry compared to biology to try and finish in 3.5 years. I'm applying this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh okay. I would honestly call the schools and ask them if they accept pass/fail grades as I have no idea how they assess your academic performance in that scenario. Is NCF considered a community college or not (some dental schools don't accept CC credits)? Lastly, I believe you will need some more Biology credits to fulfill most of the schools prereqs, but I am guessing you will do those this fall?

I've called all of the schools and they've all said they'll consider me, I might need to provide more supplementary info later, but they definitely will consider me and no it's actually one of the higher ranked schools in the US as far as I know. A pass is equivalent to an A at most schools, or at least a high B.

Oh and yes I plan on taking more biology, like one course. I've taken up to biochemistry 2 so all of the schools said most of the bio credits I'm missing I can substitute my chemistry courses for but I still need to take anatomy and maybe a molecular/cell biology course.

My school doesn't offer traditional courses, I took gen bio but learned next to nothing so really the only course I count as a bio course was genetics.

Lol my school sounds so podunky when I describe it's unique teaching methods hah! It's really a good school and I'm glad I went there.

I think as long as there is official proof of these grade equivalents (pass=A/B), you should be okay. In terms of your DAT, you got average-ish scores for entering students...I don't see a need for a re-take unless your academics are low.

I've seen postings about this school before at some point. You should be fine with those DAT scores and with the biochem classes and extra bio class. Some of the schools on your list are a reach, and you should have no problem with others; looks like a good list.

Thanks so much for the advice guys! Question: if I do apply and decide I want to retake the exam in 3 months to try and boost my science scores, would it still be considered for this cycle? If I already submit with these scores now?

^ I agree. I am questioning Harvard, UCLA (unless you are CA resident) and UCSF. Others look good, maybe add Boston, MWU-IL, MWU-AZ, and Western.

Thanks so much for the advice guys! Question: if I do apply and decide I want to retake the exam in 3 months to try and boost my science scores, would it still be considered for this cycle? If I already submit with these scores now?
I believe there is an academic update in late fall? I believe you would still be considered, but take note that most interviews are sent out before this update period so getting an interview with your new scores is really pushing it...

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA that bad for out of state students? I'll look into the others though! Hopefully I get accepted to a school in a warmer climate though haha

... I've only taken 1 bio course (genetics)...
As long as you can fit in those 2 basic biology courses and some elective bio courses and finish them before matriculation you'll be fine. Just try to pass them all since it'll be a heavy load to get all those bio credits in. Never heard of a college that is only pass fail tho...

Also add Columbia since you are going after big name schools.

I believe there is an academic update in late fall? I believe you would still be considered, but take note that most interviews are sent out before this update period so getting an interview with your new scores is really pushing it...

Oh alright. I wouldn't really be doing it for any other reason than maybe if I don't get accepted to my dream school, UoP I could apply again next year as a transfer

Do I need that many bio courses? I thought most schools didn't reall have many required bio classes? I was sort of hoping to take like 2 bio courses and an english course and then work on my thesis this year. I don't know I'd be able to fit a whole lot more bio than that in there...

Is Columbia in reach for me? I don't really know much about that school.

As long as you can fit in those 2 basic biology courses and some elective bio courses and finish them before matriculation you'll be fine. Just try to pass them all since it'll be a heavy load to get all those bio credits in. Never heard of a college that is only pass fail tho...

Also add Columbia since you are going after big name schools.

I don't know about Columbia..they usually go for very high DAT scores (21-22 min.), but if money isn't an issue you can go for it!

Eh... Maybe I shouldn't? I know with the nature of having no grades I'll be at a slight disadvantage and on top of that being a point or two under might be like an auto-reject from them? Money isn't a huge issue but I don't want to just apply to everyone just for the sake of it either.

1. Don't rely on transfers in dental school (very unlikely to go through).
2. Look up the prereqs for the schools on their websites. Most require around 8 or more semester hours of biology and 6-8 semester hours of English.
3. Apply to Columbia if you like, but as you said, you most likely will be at a slight disadvantage in terms of not having a GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Do I need that many bio courses? I thought most schools didn't reall have many required bio classes? I was sort of hoping to take like 2 bio courses and an english course and then work on my thesis this year. I don't know I'd be able to fit a whole lot more bio than that in there...

Is Columbia in reach for me? I don't really know much about that school.
Columbia is a reach for everyone because their averages scare everyone. Columbia Dental School uses a pass/fail system for grading so maybe that would work in your favor as your school and theirs use a P/F system. Don't take my word tho, call and ask them.

Although you don't need more than the 2 basic biology courses, it is recommended that you take biology electives in research techniques or anatomy. The research classes show you have good manual dexterity and an understanding of how to conduct yourself in a lab. Almost all schools have student research so showing you have some interest in applying for research positions is great since most staff at dental schools perform research and are more than likely on the admissions committee. As for anatomy classes, that is pretty self explanatory. If you mention that you plan on taking these classes it can make you more competitive than someone who just took the bare minimums.

Do bio lab classes count for bio credit hours? I did take bio labs thus far.

Columbia is a reach for everyone because their averages scare everyone. Columbia Dental School uses a pass/fail system for grading so maybe that would work in your favor as your school and theirs use a P/F system. Don't take my word tho, call and ask them.

Oh wow I had no idea! I'll definitely give them a ring. Maybe they'll be more accepting of my grading situation.

Also as far as research, I have tons of research hours, as well I just today was accepted for a chemical lab defense companies intern position (dunno if I can somehow put that in my application or not) but is it really necessary to have lots of bio specific research time? I have chemistry for sure, and then I took genetics lab but that's it thus far, unless I take molecular bio lab/anatamy lab.

I have zero research and a lot of applicants do as well, so do not worry so much about this. However, you do need lab experience (different than research experience). This is usually offered as a lab course and yes, they do count for Biology credit hours.

I have zero research and a lot of applicants do as well, so do not worry so much about this. However, you do need lab experience (different than research experience). This is usually offered as a lab course and yes, they do count for Biology credit hours.

Oh well then cool at least I have the minimum requirements in the bio section for most schools unless they have specific class requirements *wipes brow*

Just FYI there is no "Arizona State" dental school, there is either MWU-AZ or ASDOH.

Oops I meant ASDOH I think.

Not true! Have you seen the stats on here?

What do you mean?

Oh well then cool at least I have the minimum requirements in the bio section for most schools unless they have specific class requirements *wipes brow*

Oops I meant ASDOH I think.

What do you mean?

Check each school's site for Biology requirements..some are specific. It literally takes 2 min to check each site online.

And what @Glimmer1991 is saying is that there are a lot of people on SDN with GPA/DAT that meet and even surpass Columbia's stats. In other words, I am sure Columbia has no trouble pickin' stats they want ;).

Ah yeah that makes sense. I know everything on my list i meet except ASDOH, I need 2 anatomy and physiology classes which I am starting this semester. I'm going to check all of the schools everyone is recommending for me though!