• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

bball25

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Guys lets make a list of all the things that really make this process suck...I think this will help with a lot of venting and frustration some applicants may be experiencing at this time. I will go first...

I'm tired of..
-schools telling me a date they will notify me of a decision and that date coming and going with no notification of any sort!!

About the Ads
K

kurlyque

... of schools telling me a decision has been made and then not telling me what that decision is. Then weeks later still not having heard anything.

arsenewenger

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2006
Washington
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
tired of white students blaming me for not getting into thier top choice school even though i did not apply there?

tired of white students thinking i got into med school with 2.2GPA and 15 MCAT.

xylem29

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
good god man...it has to be the waiting...the anticipation...the disappointments...it is a roller coaster ride...

Rubyc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The waiting!!, i want it to be over with me in a medical school of course

Nomemory

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The obsessive compulsive behaviors I've unwittingly adopted since this process started.

The agony of a life in limbo.

The ache of hoping and anguish of despair.

The longing for that ONE school to say, "we choose you".

All the could'ves, would'ves and should'ves that haunt me during that quiet time before I fall asleep--that quiet time when I wonder, "has it all been a waste?". That quiet time when I get that stinging in my eyes and wonder, "will I get in?".

The utter frustration of not being able to make myself love the thought of any other profession.

The fear of checking my mail. The fear of having to settle. The fear of staring down the barrel of my dreaded Plan B. :scared:

samwise2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The obsessive compulsive behaviors I've unwittingly adopted since this process started.

The agony of a life in limbo.

The ache of hoping and anguish of despair.

The longing for that ONE school to say, "we choose you".

All the could'ves, would'ves and should'ves that haunt me during that quiet time before I fall asleep--that quiet time when I wonder, "has it all been a waste?". That quiet time when I get that stinging in my eyes and wonder, "will I get in?".

The utter frustration of not being able to make myself love the thought of any other profession.

The fear of checking my mail. The fear of having to settle. The fear of staring down the barrel of my dreaded Plan B. :scared:

but you have the cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutest dog!!! :)

About the Ads

Anjlprincezz

10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The emotional anguish you put yourself through during the waiting, in between the stalking of the mailman and compulsive e-mail/status page checking...

FemalesCANTDriv

LMAO
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Where I go to school
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Let's all make a pact that if any of us ever sit on an admissions committee, we will make decisions within a reasonable amount of time for interviewees. No more of this ridiculousness!

TheRealDrDorian

Dr. Acula
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The fact that applying to med school starts in July, and you don't know anything for sure until April / May, whereas friends who apply to graduate programs / Law school apply by December, and find out in February!

premed2007

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2006
Washington DC
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The fact that applying to med school starts in July, and you don't know anything for sure until April / May, whereas friends who apply to graduate programs / Law school apply by December, and find out in February!
yeah I feel ya this app process has been taking an eternity it seems like, yet when I speak to friends who are applying to other grad programs, they applied recently and are already getting acceptances. and some programs have no interview process, just send in the app and wait for the response maybe a month later!

for me it is the waiting knowing that the decision date is approaching and compulsively checking my mailbox and email. the waiting is the worst aspect of the whole process.

12loser12

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The hardest part for me is the fear of letting down my friends, family, girlfriend, and others who expect me to get in. It's so much more stressful when they assume because I interview somewhere I'll get in there. How do I tell them I'm not good enough?

sheepunite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The hardest part for me is the fear of letting down my friends, family, girlfriend, and others who expect me to get in. It's so much more stressful when they assume because I interview somewhere I'll get in there. How do I tell them I'm not good enough?

quoting stats is always a pretty intelligible way to put across your chances at any given school. "yeah, i was lucky to interview, but only 1 in 10 actually makes it in." or 1 in 100, whichever's your poison

Nomemory

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
quoting stats is always a pretty intelligible way to put across your chances at any given school. "yeah, i was lucky to interview, but only 1 in 10 actually makes it in." or 1 in 100, whichever's your poison

Yeah but even that doesn't work sometimes. Friends and family tend to think you are one in a million. They often times don't understand that there are thousands of applicants just like you and thousands of applicants that have worked just as hard to earn that coveted spot in med school. Yeah we're all unique in some way...but we're often times more alike than we are different.

I know for my own family, the stats become meaningless because they're unable or unwilling to view me or the process in an objective fashion. Shrugs. :oops:

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
USA
doctajay.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I hate spending close to $4,000 to get to this point, and a school waitlisting me with a letter that cost them $0.39

I hate waiting. I hate it.

I hate the fact that when I took the MCAT, the test was 8 hours long and it took me 2 months to get my scores.

I hate deposit fees (Meharry's was $300)

I hate secondaries that ask crap they could have read on AMCAS

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.