I'm "on hold" for MSTP at Einstein, protocol?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicsMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been on hold at Einstein since I interviewed in Oct. I was told my application was competitive and to just wait a while, but pretty soon it will be 2 months. I sent my thank you emails to my interviewers after my interview, they all know it is my first choice and I love the program and school. Will writing a letter to the program director help? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely! I would, and alot of MSTPs like it when you tell them how much you love the school. Just to give you the standard disclaimer: Make sure it really is your first choice and that you will definately go there if accepted.

I'll probably be writing a similar letter to Duke soon...

Yes, write a letter of intent, explaining that the program is your first choice, why it is, and tell them you'll withdraw all other applications and decline other acceptances if they give you an offer. It can't hurt, and can only help. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK,
also, I would really love to go their med school as well, if I don't get into MSTP there. Would it be appropriate to say that in a letter of intent to MSTP?

Originally posted by physicsMD
OK,
also, I would really love to go their med school as well, if I don't get into MSTP there. Would it be appropriate to say that in a letter of intent to MSTP?

No, do not say that if they do not accept you MSTP you will go there MD anyway - it will show you might not be dedicated to pursuing both degrees, and it may hurt your chances at MSTP admission. I do not know the specifics of their admissions process - does the MD program decide on you separately? If so, perhaps you could also send your letter of intent to the MD office, but at this point, don't say "I will come there MD if I am rejected MSTP." If you are rejected MSTP, then after the fact is another story.

I am also "On Hold" for Einstein. I really like it there as well. It's a frustrating wait. Did you interview Oct 18th?

Yup,
I interviewed in Oct. I don't know if I agree with the above post. When I was talking to the MSTP admissions dean at Sinai she said that if they are holding an applicant and they would really like to go to the school regardless of MSTP or MD, they would give thier app to the MD admissions committee so they could review the applicant. She didn't make it sound as if it would be viewed on negatively by the MSTP committee, it's just that at that point your app would be pulled from the MSTP. I think at Einstein though, if you are "on hold" MSTP the MD admissions reviews your app in the meantime, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?