Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

I'm only applying to 5 Chicago schools--is that bad?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Tofurkey, May 3, 2004.

1. Tofurkey

Tofurkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello,

Because my spouse is committed to working in Chicago for two more years, this year I am only applying to 5 Chicago schools--Rush, UIC, Loyola, NWern, and U of C. I can't apply to Finch because we can't afford a second car and we can't move up to where Finch is. I wonder if this will screw me in terms of no acceptances--I know 5 is a VERY small number, but if I don't get in anywhere this year next year (for 2006) we can move anywhere so I will apply all over the country.

I'm an IL resident, too, which should help. But based on my stats, can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,

T

post-bacc GPA (science) 3.7; UGPA: 3.4; no MCAT yet, humanities major. Great EC's and probably mediocre LORs with two or three good ones.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.ImCute

Dr.ImCute Member
    5+ Year Member

I would also apply to CCOM just in case too.

but you have a good profile, and the advantage of being a resident of the state. you should be able to get in somewhere! gluck :luck:

4. Woatalk

Woatalk Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Given the fact that you are an in-state applicant, I feel you will have a pretty good shot of getting into at least one of these schools....considering you score somewhere around a 28 or higher on the CATs. Good luck,
    WOATALK

5. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

how about you apply all over the country this year and defer once you get in (if you get into elsewhere-not one of those 5 of course)? i think its worth it for you not to limit yourself. trust me, i did something like this (worse to be honest)...while it worked out, it easily could not have and i would have to reapply and this way i lost lots of opportunities, which sux.

6. LaurieB

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    If you do well on the MCAT, you have a good chance of getting in to one of those schools. You may also want to apply to SIU as an option out of Chicago. Much can change in a year and you might want to keep your options open.

That said, I had only wanted to apply to Chicago schools and the UW when I started this application process and my advisor encouraged me to keep other options open. As it turned out, I could have applied to the 7 schools on my initial list and done fine. It's a gamble.

Good luck!
    Laurie

7. jjmack

jjmack Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student, Resident [Any Field]
    It's a gamble, but if you know you want to stay in chicago go for it. I was dumb enough to apply to a school I don't really want to go to and now it's my only acceptance. Goold luck.

8. MNgrrl

MNgrrl Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As LaurieB said, it's a gamble. I applied to 4 schools last cycle, and wasn't accepted. In hindsight, I wish I would have applied to more the first time around. This time, I applied to 16, and have fared much better. So I guess my advice would be that if you have a pretty stong MCAT and a good personal statement, you'll probably be OK, since Chicago has a wide range of schools, and some have preference for IL residents. In my own (admittedly bias) opinion, I would lean towards applying to other schools as well, and you could always defer if you need to wait a year for your. You never know what going to happen in med school admissions, so I don't think it would hurt to apply to a few others as well.

Good Luck!

9. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    this really hinges on your MCAT. Your only "good shot" is UIC since its public. Otherwise, its a crapshoot.

10. medicomel

medicomel Purveyor of short posts.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In regards to UIC -- what's up with the weird behavioral sciences requirement? I will be applying in the next year, and as a poor post-bac who has just completed her science pre-reqs, I can't afford to take any more classes. I'll be shelling out money for Kaplan and apps/etc. in the next year or so.

I took Intro Psych, another random seminar Psych course, and then a Soc course during my undergrad, but none of them were "in sequence."

Does being a humanities major offset this deficiency, or should I just scrap UIC altogether?

Any advice on this? I'm an Illinois resident, by the way...hence the concern.

11. Bones2008

Bones2008 waiting for retirement
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They don't know that your two psych courses weren't in sequence, so just put those down. It's a stupid requirement, anyways.

12. medicomel

medicomel Purveyor of short posts.
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks a lot! I'll do just that, fellow Dukie! :D

13. skypilot

skypilot 2K Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Let them know that you have to be in Chicago. Some schools will be more interested if they know that you are likely to attend.

14. yasmeensak

yasmeensak The Y
    7+ Year Member

15. Yeah, wait are you taking the August MCAT or are you waiting for April scores?

Definitely write at least one line in your personal statement that will show them you are 100% committed to staying in Chicago. I kind of wish I would have mentioned something about my desire to go to NYC in mine, but I wanted to keep my more local options open too. If you are sure, say something though!

And if you want to take the apply to more schools and defer a non-Chicago school route... check with those schools to see if they allow deferals at all and if not, don't bother applying of course. I think this route is more practical, and your husband could hopefully arrange his work affairs to transfer to the given city at the given time...

16. LaurieB

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I'll second that - I was worried about the behavioural sciences requirement so I called and a guy in the admission's office told me that they are very flexible in accepting courses for the requirement. I used two terms of study abroad to fullfill my requirement.

17. Xega

Xega Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    As someone else said, just apply everywhere you would be likely to go and defer for one year. You have a good reason and most schools will grant you a one year deferrall. That is probably your best bet.

18. rmp

rmp Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

19. dara678

dara678 Hello Kitty Fan
    7+ Year Member

20. Tofurkey

Tofurkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello all,

Thank you for your helpful responses. With regard to the people suggesting Finch, I thought Finch is 2 hours by car away from downtown Chicago--may I ask what El line and how long does it take to get there? If I can get there by public transportation then I'll apply there--I was under the impression that Finch was closer to Wisconsin than to downtown Chicago (where I live.)

Also, with regard to the deferral option, the thing is is that I'm taking the August MCAT for the first time this August. I figured that maybe it would be prudent to know my scores before applying all over the country this year--thus I thought, why not just save that for next year if I don't get in this year. Also, my first choice really is Chicago, so if I don't get in in Chicago this year I'd like to reapply for next year with the intent on changing whatever it is about my app that they didn't like this year. Also, my husband and I won't know what cities will be better for us to apply to until he gets further along in his residency training here. So I think it's best for me not to defer.

I will mention the Chicago thing in my pers. statement--thanks for the advice!

Any other advice on my situation? I personally feel I have the best chance at Rush due to the fact that they seem to like non-trads the most out of all the Chicago schools--does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Tofurkey

21. Xega

Xega Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You could also add some schools in October when you get your scores back and by then you may know more about which cities would be good for you.

22. CoffeeCrazy

CoffeeCrazy Wide awake and jittery
    5+ Year Member

I grew up on the North Shore and now live downtown Chicago. You'd have to take the Metra up to North Chicago, which would be about $120/month. I'm not sure if Finch is *right* next to a train station or not. Check www.metrarail.com.

Anyway, the train will take you about 75 minutes from downtown Union station. It's not a horrible commute... some people can study on the train so it's better than driving.

My $0.02... I think you should also apply to Finch. If it ends up being your only option, then you can consider the commute and possibly moving somewhere between Finch and Chicago. Even if you live up in Skokie (your husband can take the Metra or the Skokie Swift into the city) it'd be a lot shorter of a commute for you.

23. dara678

dara678 Hello Kitty Fan
    7+ Year Member

Hey Tofurkey --

I looked it up on Mapquest. From Evanston, which is where I live, Finch is about a forty minute drive. If you don't live in the North Shore, it's pretty far ... but again, I think you should keep it as a last option. You never know with med school applications, and I personally wouldn't pay the hundreds of dollars to AMCAS again (it's like, what, a hundred or something base fee?) for the next year. Just keep your options open ... and if you get into another school besides Finch, that's great, right?

And I think they call it Chicago Med now ... don't they? (At least, that's what a fourth year at Finch insisted on calling it when I talked to him)