I'm only applying to one DO school (TCOM). Will I be fine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

invisibleman023

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.4c 3.1s ((TMDSAS calculated)) 35MCAT Top 10 UG + TX-Res + ORM

Enrolling in SMP this fall too to increase GPA.

Pretty standard ECs:

-Engineering major
-upward trend
- 3 research publications
-Volunteering experience domestic and international
-Shadowing experience domestic and international
-Leadership in several clubs

My reasoning is Texas will favor me due to my IS status (at least be more forgiving than OOS medical schools) and be the cheapest option for me. Also, since TCOM is included in TMDSAS, I didn't have to fill out the DO application service.

Would it be a waste to apply to other DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

applying to only one school is a terrible idea, no matter what your stats/ECs are.

Reactions: 1 users
Why gamble? The interview process is a crapshoot...don't try to save a couple hundred bucks to potentially burn a cycle.
Add another 5 schools on, if you still want the thrill of living life on edge. I wouldn't apply to less than 12, (I applied to 17, with a lower MCAT and SAME gpa as you.) NO love from 2 instate schools.

GL

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to look at TCOM's class profiles. They consistently have GPAs above 3.5. Though your MCAT is really strong, it's pretty risky to assume they'll call on you. You'd have to have something special in your application that really intrigues them, and some really good indication that you're interested in osteopathic medicine. In Texas, all the schools have their picks of the litter essentially. TCOM is only an exception because of the lower MCAT scores. More than likely, you'd be a better fit for them with a low MCAT, high GPA, not the other way around. Further, since they appear to look a little less discriminatingly at MCAT, they have the flexibility to look at ECs. I don't think TCOM is a good safety school because of these reasons, and applying to TCOM is like applying to other TMDSAS schools. Applying to other DO schools across the country is a whole other animal. For one, you've got grade replacement, which for your GPA, may be an enormous boon. The tradeoff is that you're getting further into the cycle, and likely the schools are going to become flooded with MD applicants 'backing up' with DO applications.
Though TX will favor you due to in state status, there is no shortage of really solid candidates in the state.

Depends. I'm assuming you are also applying to MD schools. If you are applying to DO schools as back up and don't have the intention to go at all, then don't apply to anymore. If you are somewhat interested in going, adding a few more wouldn't hurt.

3.4c 3.1s ((TMDSAS calculated)) 35MCAT Top 10 UG + TX-Res + ORM

Enrolling in SMP this fall too to increase GPA.

Pretty standard ECs:

-Engineering major
-upward trend
- 3 research publications
-Volunteering experience domestic and international
-Shadowing experience domestic and international
-Leadership in several clubs

My reasoning is Texas will favor me due to my IS status (at least be more forgiving than OOS medical schools) and be the cheapest option for me. Also, since TCOM is included in TMDSAS, I didn't have to fill out the DO application service.

Would it be a waste to apply to other DOs?

Your stats seem pretty good to me for Texas. I would apply to all TX schools, not sure about UTSW and Baylor, though. That MCAT is a huge plus. Are you doing the UNT SMP? I'm not too impressed with how many students get into TCOM after completing the program but if someone with your stats were to do well in the program and maintain a 3.7 GPA, i think you have a good shot at TCOM and other TX schools. I would still apply to TX schools while in the program. Good luck!

Depends. I'm assuming you are also applying to MD schools. If you are applying to DO schools as back up and don't have the intention to go at all, then don't apply to anymore. If you are somewhat interested in going, adding a few more wouldn't hurt.

I probably should've clarified but this is essentially my sentiment. I applied to 25+ MD schools (including all in Texas) and just one DO. My AMCAS GPA is calculated to a 3.4 cumulative and 3.3 science.

I probably should've clarified but this is essentially my sentiment. I applied to 25+ MD schools (including all in Texas) and just one DO. My AMCAS GPA is calculated to a 3.4 cumulative and 3.3 science.

Now that is a different story.

im-watching-you.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Your stats seem pretty good to me for Texas. I would apply to all TX schools, not sure about UTSW and Baylor, though. That MCAT is a huge plus. Are you doing the UNT SMP? I'm not too impressed with how many students get into TCOM after completing the program but if someone with your stats were to do well in the program and maintain a 3.7 GPA, i think you have a good shot at TCOM and other TX schools. I would still apply to TX schools while in the program. Good luck!

We had between 40 to 50 students from medsci get into the 2018 class. It seems to fluctuate every year depending on how strong the applicants from medsci are.

We had between 40 to 50 students from medsci get into the 2018 class. It seems to fluctuate every year depending on how strong the applicants from medsci are.

I believe it also depends on how strong the applicants stats were before medsci as well, right? How hard is it to maintain a high gpa in the program?

Even if your stats are higher than the mean, it does not mean you will be fine. I had a friend who had stats above the norm for MD school, and only applied to my state school. It took him three tries to get in. He could have gotten in the first try if he applied broadly. Don't make the same mistake.

FYI: His younger brother got in before he did into the same school. It felt really awkward knowing this...

Your TMDSAS sGPA is problematic, but you know this already.

Short answer: no
Long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Reactions: 2 users
So OP is applying to 25 MD and 1 DO school. Sounds good to me though GPA is on the lower side. I would assume you're trying to get out of doing AACOMAS?

Admissions is random enough you aren't guaranteed at TCOM. You'd probably have some probability <20% of not getting in anywhere IMHO. If you apply to 8 DO schools I'd say you would basically have to mess it up to not get in anywhere. You seem like a somewhat unique candidate so I'm not sure of these #s but they seem about right to me

I believe it also depends on how strong the applicants stats were before medsci as well, right? How hard is it to maintain a high gpa in the program?

True. Most of the people I know had about average stats with a high master's gpa. I think it really depends on the person on how difficult it is to maintain a high gpa. Met some hard working people who struggled a lot and met other's who seemed to breeze through the program without much struggle.