I'm pre-med, but haven't completed prereqs & have a low GPA. Where can I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhittyMD17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who may be able to give sound advice or has been through a similar situation.
So, I recently got my B.S. in Community Health (or public health). Early in my undergraduate career I was on a pre-med track but after not performing as well as I wanted in Bio, Chem 1, and Organic Chem 1 I became discouraged and dropped pre-med and continued with my major classes. During undergraduate, I decided maybe nursing would be a better route for me. Not because I think it is an easier route, but because it didn't require me to take the organic chem and other science courses as a pre-requisite. After I graduated I applied to a nursing program, but I was advised to move my application to the next semester (there were issues with my recommender and due to the amount of seats left and the amount of applications to be reviewed, admissions advised that for better chances). In the mean time, I continued doing my research on different professions, as well as getting some field experience (both clinical and non clinical -- the non clinical experiences were in the field of public health mostly health education). After speaking with different people, doctors and nurses, current medical students and current nursing students, I gravitated more towards medicine. I believed it would give me the challenge and knowledge base that I want. In the future, I would also like to do work abroad and I felt like the type of training and knowledge I would need to make a difference would be found in the medical field rather than nursing. I definitely do not undermine the education and impact of nurses, I have many nurse friends who are doing great things in their workplaces.

I have taken General Biology, General Chemistry 1, Organic Chemistry 1, and Microbiology. My sGPA is ~2.4 and my cGPA is ~2.9

So basically my question here is where can i go from here with the stats that I have? Should I do a post-bac program? Where will take my low GPA? or Is there Masters programs where I can finish my prereqs along with upper level science courses?

I kind of want to retake the 4 classes I've taken to improve my grade, but I dont know if that is a good idea. Will medical schools average the grades together? Or take the higher score?

Thanks for any help that your able to offer me!

Members don't see this ad.

u would need an act of god to fix that GPA. MD schools are completely out of the question. I heard DO schools do grade replacement but i am not sure. @Goro has a guide or whatever to DO school grades. Read that

I have a question for anyone who may be able to give sound advice or has been through a similar situation.
So, I recently got my B.S. in Community Health (or public health). Early in my undergraduate career I was on a pre-med track but after not performing as well as I wanted in Bio, Chem 1, and Organic Chem 1 I became discouraged and dropped pre-med and continued with my major classes. During undergraduate, I decided maybe nursing would be a better route for me. Not because I think it is an easier route, but because it didn't require me to take the organic chem and other science courses as a pre-requisite. After I graduated I applied to a nursing program, but I was advised to move my application to the next semester (there were issues with my recommender and due to the amount of seats left and the amount of applications to be reviewed, admissions advised that for better chances). In the mean time, I continued doing my research on different professions, as well as getting some field experience (both clinical and non clinical -- the non clinical experiences were in the field of public health mostly health education). After speaking with different people, doctors and nurses, current medical students and current nursing students, I gravitated more towards medicine. I believed it would give me the challenge and knowledge base that I want. In the future, I would also like to do work abroad and I felt like the type of training and knowledge I would need to make a difference would be found in the medical field rather than nursing. I definitely do not undermine the education and impact of nurses, I have many nurse friends who are doing great things in their workplaces.

I have taken General Biology, General Chemistry 1, Organic Chemistry 1, and Microbiology. My sGPA is ~2.4 and my cGPA is ~2.9

So basically my question here is where can i go from here with the stats that I have? Should I do a post-bac program? Where will take my low GPA? or Is there Masters programs where I can finish my prereqs along with upper level science courses?

I kind of want to retake the 4 classes I've taken to improve my grade, but I dont know if that is a good idea. Will medical schools average the grades together? Or take the higher score?
Thanks for any help that your able to offer me!

Yes, med school average grades. Only AZCOM for at least this cycle, is still using grade replacement, AFAIK.

Read this: