I'm really afraid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparkles

To and Fro
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore in undergrad. I had a 3.9 GPA going into this semester (fall 2001)... Well I got TWO C's, 1 B and 2 A's (one C was in organic chem). My GPA is now around 3.6. Do I still have a shot at med school or did I pretty much ruin it???

Members don't see this ad.

No you didn't ruin your chances, but be prepared to explain to the admissions committee what happened that semester. Just work hard to bring it back up and you'll be fine. I'm sure anyone in this forum knows someone who got in with a few C's on their record.

Well I probably don't have a prayer in the world. Most people that get in don't have C's all over the place.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think 2 C's in a semester constitutes "C's all over the place". If you continue to get C's, you'll have something to worry about, but if you pull it together, you'll be fine. You're only halfway through your sophomore year, after all.

I think what you really need to do--and I'm not saying this to be mean or make fun--is calm down a bit. If you really start stressing, it's only going to hurt you.

Sparkles,

I don't think having 2 C's qualifies as having C's "all over the place". It isn't the end of the world... just suck it up and try harder next semester. Don't be so hard on yourself and don't give up that easily -- you're only a sophomore so you have lots of time to improve. You don't have to be perfect to get into med school.

Good luck! :)

If you learn anything from reading these boards is that there is no magic formula or combination to getting into med school. Go kick some @ss in ochem next semester.

Spring semester, my junior year. I got two Cs (one in sociology, one in pathogenic bacteriology) plus another C in english 101 my freshman year. I graduated with a 3.67, and I got accepted to med school regardless of those Cs. I did, however, take the initiative of explaining why I received those grades my junior year. I think they like a candidate who will take initiative, bring up the bad grades him or herself, and explain.

Thank you all so much. I does however ruin my chances to get into a top 10 school though and I realize that. It just really upsets me because I'm smarter than that.

you're still going to be a doctor, right? If you go to a top 10 or not, it really doesn't matter. You'll get a good education. Kick butt on USMLEs and get a top residency, that's more important.

I think people have been known to get into top 10 schools with a couple of C's on their transcripts. A defeatist attitude could do more harm than those C's. So chin up, and just resolve to work harder in the future. And Joseph is right -- if you really want to be a doctor, top 10 doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things! I've only got a 3.5 GPA, and even though I took the August MCAT and got only a 30M, I've had 2 interviews already, with 6 more scheduled, and 1 acceptance which more than makes up for my 2 rejections! (BTW, my first interview was with a top 10 school, my rejections were from top 20 schools, and my acceptance is from a non-top 50 school.)

Okay, I have to think hard about this since it's been 6 months since I graduated! I had a C+ in Orgo I, a B- in Cell Bio, a B- in Lin Alg, a B- in PChem II. Hmm, I've been accepted to med school and I would think B-'s and C's all over the place didn't hurt me. One semester I got all B's and had a whopping 3.0! Granted, only 2 of my 7 interview offers were at top 50 schools, but I'm going to be a doctor anyway.

Sparkles - You have not ruined your chances. I have too many Cs to count on both of my hands. All I can say is to take the required courses and to take courses and do activities that you are genuinely interested in. The application process is so inefficient and people literally spend years on doing stuff so they look good to the admissions committee. Do the best you can in school, and be persistent to your goal of being a doctor, if indeed that is what you want - you will be fine.

One other thing - try not to get caught up in the "top 10" thing or in the prestige of the schools. You will find as you get older that there are other things besides going to Harvard. Like they say - who knows where their doctor went to medical school - no one.

It's been 6 years out of college for me, and I have a master's degree (1996), but in undergrad I had 3 D's (all in bio) and 2 C's (also in bio). After 12 credits of retake work last year, my science GPA was 3.03 (overall undergrad was 3.2 ish) and I have been accepted. My MCAT scores alone got me a second look. They can overcome a lot, but you have to really work at studying for them. Good luck!

Chin up Sparkles!! - I had 2 D's (physics I and bio lab), then I had 6 grades in the C range (gen chem, bio and calc). I had about a 2.5 science GPA. I then did a two-year Part time post bac and got a 3.45 GPA. As of now, I have 2 acceptances. You can definitely still succeed! Whatever you do, don't give up! I believe that my emphasis on staying dedicated and motivated - which I talked about in my personal statement - really was influential in getting me all my interviews. Also, MCATs I think are heavily looked at if you're GPA is somewhat shaky - and you have plenty of time before that rolls around. Also, med schools LOVE upwards grade trends.

I got 6 C's in one year... 3 in one quarter. Granted they were all engineering classes... but it defintely did not look good. I turned things around.... in my last four quarters... I got a 3.96. I did very well on the MCAT. Make a long story short... I got six interviews so far(2 top 20s), 1 acceptance (George Washington).... and and confident that I will hear more. Like the others says... a few C's are no big deal, they love upward trends, everyone has bad semesters (even those Harvard people), and the MCAT can say alot. Dont sweat it... and dont give up... that is what looks really really bad. Good luck.

Originally posted by Sparkles:
•My GPA is now around 3.6. Do I still have a shot at med school or did I pretty much ruin it???•••

•Well I probably don't have a prayer in the world. Most people that get in don't have C's all over the place. •••

•Thank you all so much. I does however ruin my chances to get into a top 10 school though and I realize that.•••

If you know what your chances are at "top 10" schools, and that you don't have "a prayer in the world" at getting accepted, haven't you answered your own questions in this thread?

I'm guessing that you just wanted to hear some other people tell you about their experiences. If so, then I'll tell you that I did very similarly to you my second year, but it took an even worse spring semester to make me realize how far my GPA had fallen. I now have 2 acceptances, and it can be done. :)

Hi Sparkles,

I wouldn't worry too much about the C's. Just do better next semester and do well on your MCATs. If you're able to pull up your grades, this will show admissions committees that you are persistent and learn from your mistakes. I just had my Columbia interview, and my interviewer asked in a really stern tone, "Why did you get a C in finance your junior year?" Then he laughed and said, "Just joking...everyone is allowed one or two C's." I don't think 2 C's will ruin your chances of getting into any medical school. Also, if you do really well on the MCAT, this will show admissions committees that you're capable of handling the work. Anyhow, don't get too down and good luck.

EC

Ditto everyone else.....one thing thou, and its already been touched on, lose that cruddy defeatist attitude. A few Cs won't kill ya, just don't let it happen much/any more. Just FYI...its been my experience/my opinion that though the "TOP 10" look for GPA/MCAT they tend to look at the people too.

sparkles, don't sweat it. you're only a sophomore and your gpa is actually pretty decent. as a sophomore, you still have so much time to improve, but as it is, you can get into pretty much any school, especially with a competitive mcat.
i got some c's early on in my first year, made up for it big time the two following years, and then got some c's again my senior year. my gpa is still ok, and i can explain the c's. so i'm trying not to worry too much about it. stay cool, trust me..someone who spends this much time worrying about it at your stage in the game, will most likely get in to a very nice school.

Sparkles, a few C's won't kill you, as everyone else has said... Don't be too paranoid, like my friend. She made straight A's/A+'s (mostly A+'s) throughout her undergrad and for the first time this semester (she's a senior) she got an A- and an A (versus A+'s) in a couple math courses and she was concerned that this has ruined her chances at grad school in physics. I don't know if this is supposed to make you feel better, but my point is, don't take school too seriously like my friend there... You will never be too satisfied with your GPA/MCAT because there will always be someone who comes along who will be better than you.

Sparkles,

Many people have C's and still matriculate into medical school. An even greater percentage of those people have received C's in Organic Chemistry. Don't sweat this so much. One thing you need to realize (and fast!) is that failure (even if this is not a failing grade, so to speak) does occur, and you will fail again in your life. You need to handle such things with a realistic and positive attitude...A "my life has ended because Harvard might reject me" sort of outlook is just not going to cut it. You may not even end up being top of your class in medical school. However, if being a doctor is really important to you, it won't matter so much whether an ivy accepts you or whether you graduate first or fortieth in your class. The accomplishment and the honor of practicing medicine will speak for itself.

MNS