I'm REALLY bad at standardized tests. How can I prepare for Step I during MS1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted444768

Any recommended books that can give me a boost? I know that most will say to just focus on my classes but I do think I'll need extra help and time to prepare for the exam. Im starting MS1 this fall and its traditional not systems, in case anyone was wondering

Members don't see this ad.

Just focus on your classes.

but nooo im a special snowflake!!!

Here's the deal: learn what you are supposed to learn in class. No cramming things the night before the exam; you actually have to learn them. When it comes to actual Step 1 study time (which is never in MS1), it'll be easier to reload the material into the front of your memory.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can use the search function and read the hundreds posts identical to yours.

Make anki flashcards before every test, then when you have time off during 1st year you can review older material as well. The books that prepare you best for shelf are the ones which will prepare you best for your class exams - BRS and pretest for each subject.

If I had to do it over again: I would buy the year long subscription to Uworld and do each block, like cardiology when I was on cardiology block during my second year. That way much less rushing through Uworld and it would be more of a review. Don't worry about it until MS2

Just focus on your classes.

but nooo im a special snowflake!!!

guys this post is a few hours old so obviously it doesnt apply to me. how can I really get ahead of my classmates and smash step 1 btw I have a 38 mcat and graduated from duke with a 3.9 if that matters

if OP is REALLY bad at standardized tests, I suppose he wouldn't be in med school :rolleyes:

guys this post is a few hours old so obviously it doesnt apply to me. how can I really get ahead of my classmates and smash step 1 btw I have a 38 mcat and graduated from duke with a 3.9 if that matters

Key to success in med school is knowing background info - if you only got a 38 you should really review classical physics, E&M, orgo, verbal - whatever you were weak in.

If I had to do it over again: I would buy the year long subscription to Uworld and do each block, like cardiology when I was on cardiology block during my second year. That way much less rushing through Uworld and it would be more of a review. Don't worry about it until MS2

Wasting the highest quality USMLE prep questions on studying for MS1 blocks doesn't make any sense. Sure, burn through Kaplan Qbank during MS1, but don't waste UW.

OP, sign up for firecracker. Start doing it with your MS1 classes and don't fall behind on your daily cards. Prep for Step 1 when you get dedicated prep time at the end of MS2.

don't prepare for step 1 in your first year.

How much pathology do you know? Zero. How much of Step 1 is based on pathology? Damn near 70%.

Memorize this book:

41mY1gcUQCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and write notes in your first aid to make it look like this:

first-aid-example.jpg

Then you will do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
This makes me wonder, do people that rock their Step 1 exam sell their annotated FA at a premium?

I feel like making the notes themselves is much of the studying, especially since you won't know what they are talking about half the time

I feel like making the notes themselves is much of the studying, especially since you won't know what they are talking about half the time

Makes sense. Hear the same bolded line in regards to flashcards...speaking of which, any thoughts on those for preclinical years?

Thoughts for those were literally posted in THIS thread a couple posts above yours. Anki = flashcards.

Yeah, I saw that up there. Maybe I sounded redundant; however, I was trying to pick yehhhboiii's mind on the topic.

Of course, your opinion is welcome also...

Yeah, I saw that up there. Maybe I sounded redundant; however, I was trying to pick yehhhboiii's mind on the topic.

Of course, your opinion is welcome also...

oh
i'm only an ms1 so i don't know much
i'm kinda old fashioned so i like to write notes although i've switched over to the computer notes on pdf thing which is a lot more convenient since it's easier to organize. but i've also found that making paper note cards helps me keep my thoughts more organized so i bought 10 packs of 100. i've been using them to review the topics are difficult for me to grasp. i don't keep them after the exam is over though. i tried netter's anatomy cards and microcards but they didn't help much so i stopped using them pretty quickly although they would probably be useful if you commute. i stuck to lecture notes which got me honors in most of my classes so far

basically i just write down what seem to be the core concepts and the key facts to know for the topics i'm not familiar with so i can review them enough times before the test. i used to waste a lot of time going through all of the lecture notes multiple times before i realized that i don't need to look at the things i know more than once.

i have heard good things about firecracker but haven't used it myself. i tried anki for a week and it didn't really appeal to me.
hope this helps

Last edited:
oh
i'm kinda old fashioned so i like to write notes although i've switched over to the computer notes on pdf thing which is a lot more convenient since it's easier to organize. but i've also found that making paper note cards helps me keep my thoughts more organized so i bought 10 packs of 100. i've been using them to review the topics are difficult for me to grasp. i don't keep them after the exam is over though. i tried netter's anatomy cards and microcards but they didn't help much so i stopped using them pretty quickly although they would probably be useful if you commute. i stuck to lecture notes which got me honors in most of my classes so far

i have heard good things about firecracker but haven't used it myself. i tried anki for a week and it didn't really appeal to me.
hope this helps

Thanks for the insight. It was helpful. :thumbup:

oh

basically i just write down what seem to be the core concepts and the key facts to know for the topics i'm not familiar with so i can review them enough times before the test. i used to waste a lot of time going through all of the lecture notes multiple times before i realized that i don't need to look at the things i know more than once.

hope this helps

I did the same thing with notecards for most of my classes. Probably threw away thousands of notecards since I tossed them after my tests too.

Don't you love it when people in school are like, 'I'm a bad test taker.' You mean you're stupid. Oh, you struggle with that part where we find out what you know? --tosh

all jokes aside, you have to lose the attitude. if you made it into med school you aren't a bad test taker. instead of approaching it negatively you need to shift your frame to mind into a more motivational perspective. stop saying you are a bad test taker. instead, say you need to work harder on standardized tests.

all the review materials in the world aren't going to help you if you are a negative nancy. first get your head straight, then we'll talk specifics.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Hear the same bolded line in regards to flashcards...speaking of which, any thoughts on those for preclinical years?

I made a ton of flashcards during M1/M2 for flashcardable concepts/topics. Worked out tremendously for me, and I think most of their utility probably is in the actual process of making them.

Your mileage may vary.

I did the same thing with notecards for most of my classes. Probably threw away thousands of notecards since I tossed them after my tests too.

Thanks.

I made a ton of flashcards during M1/M2 for flashcardable concepts/topics. Worked out tremendously for me, and I think most of their utility probably is in the actual process of making them.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks.