I'm really confused...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sully21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying to about 7 MD schools and 1 DO school. I have a 3.75 gpa with alright EC's. Everything is pretty much in line except for my MCAT - which I am taking on June 18- about a week from now. I just finished getting everything in my application done - including LORs. What I am confused about is when to submit that application. In practice tests I have been getting between a 27-33 on the MCAT. I will for sure apply to my home state school, but a couple of my reach schools I would only apply to if I got a 30+

Do I submit my application now with no schools listed, just my home school listed, or all of them listed? Or should I wait until about July 20 when I get my mcat scores and then choose which schools? After my application is amcas verified, how long would it take for a school to get my application if I added a new school once I get my mcat scores back? I hope someone out there understands the amcas side of the application processing because I sure don't. Thanks for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm applying to about 7 MD schools and 1 DO school. I have a 3.75 gpa with alright EC's. Everything is pretty much in line except for my MCAT - which I am taking on June 18- about a week from now. I just finished getting everything in my application done - including LORs. What I am confused about is when to submit that application. In practice tests I have been getting between a 27-33 on the MCAT. I will for sure apply to my home state school, but a couple of my reach schools I would only apply to if I got a 30+

Do I submit my application now with no schools listed, just my home school listed, or all of them listed? Or should I wait until about July 20 when I get my mcat scores and then choose which schools? After my application is amcas verified, how long would it take for a school to get my application if I added a new school once I get my mcat scores back? I hope someone out there understands the amcas side of the application processing because I sure don't. Thanks for any help!!
Since there is a wide variation in your potential MCAT score, I'd suggest you go ahead and submit now, listing your state school only, and get your transcripts verified. After you receive your score 7/20 and know how competitive you are, add aditional schools as appropriate, and pay for them. The new schools will get your entire application within one business day.

To save further time, you'll be able to access the secondary essay prompts here on SDN and you can start working on them during the month you are waiting. Then, when you formally receive the secondary application, your turn-around time will be a day or two, so you''ll be considered by the school adcomm ASAP.

Thanks strat! That seems like a great answer. I guess another small question I have - I keep reading everywhere and its pretty much standard knowledge to apply to a lot of medical schools especially if your worried about getting in. Well, my home state is very loyal to residents, and I think that I by far have the best chance of getting in here. I'm going to apply to a couple of schools that I would really want to go to besides my home state, but other than that, is there really any point in me applying to other "safety" schools that I would choose after my home state? I think even those safety schools would be harder to get into than my residence state school, and my state school is probably 3rd or 4th on the list of where I would choose to go. So is there any reason to apply to more than those 4 schools plus a DO school?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, my home state schools are very loyal but i didn't get into them but i got into a couple of other good ones (altho i would totally stay for a cheaper education and a chance to train alongside my neighbors). you never know, so don't assume. apply broadly and hope to have your own pick

Thanks strat! That seems like a great answer. I guess another small question I have - I keep reading everywhere and its pretty much standard knowledge to apply to a lot of medical schools especially if your worried about getting in. Well, my home state is very loyal to residents, and I think that I by far have the best chance of getting in here. I'm going to apply to a couple of schools that I would really want to go to besides my home state, but other than that, is there really any point in me applying to other "safety" schools that I would choose after my home state? I think even those safety schools would be harder to get into than my residence state school, and my state school is probably 3rd or 4th on the list of where I would choose to go. So is there any reason to apply to more than those 4 schools plus a DO school?

It really boils down to two considerations: how many schools you can afford to apply to and how exceptional of an applicant you are. First and foremost, everyone is limited by their financial capability. But beyond that, the deciding factor is how your application looks. If you get a 30 on your MCAT and you can afford to apply to more schools, then most people would recommend it. If you get a 33 on your MCAT, then you can certainly get away with less. A final consideration is your selection of schools, but since you're being conservative with your choices, you should be able to keep your list smaller than it would be if you included 5 or more "reaches" like some people do.

I only applied to five schools (not being into SDN yet at the time) that were a match or a safety and was successful, but if I hadn't been, I'd have kicked myself around the block for applying to so few schools and having to go through the application process again. Being a frugal person, I understand where you're coming from. It's your choice, but also your risk, if you apply to a small number of schools. At the least, consider applying to two more DO schools.

Someone may have mentioned it already, but you MUST apply to at least one school in order to submit AMCAS.

Many people in your position use this as a strategy to save $ by applying to one school and wait to see how competitive their MCAT is, and if it sucks, to pull the plug...frankly, I really don't understand that logic...if you are taking the MCAT in a week or so, you should have a fairly good idea already of the MCAT range you will likely score in, based on the free AAMC practice tests...and you should have a pretty solid list of target schools already in mind...

OTOH, the reality is that you do have time before choosing additional schools to apply to, so better to take your time now and build your list up to the optimal mix of schools, but I am not sure I would wait until I got my MCAT score back in mid July to do all of this...