Im really dumb.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilovewaiting

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

There's probably a typo/grammatical error in most letters. Don't stress about it, it won't affect your chances.

you no never be doctor now, woot

Members don't see this ad :)
remarkal3le said:
Murphy's Law is a bitch. If it's one typo, it probably won't kill your chances. The dean is so busy he might just skim it.

...unless the letter reads "You are not my number one choice". That pesky "not" could be a pretty nasty typo.

Ilovewaiting said:
Im an idiot.

Don't worry about this. I had a typo in my personal statement, two in my activities list and several in my secondaries. It didn't hurt me one bit. If you read the acceptance (or waitlist, rejection, etc) letters schools send out, they also have typos in them. I have detected at least one typo in the material I've been sent from each school I've applied to. Word processors force a lot of these typos with that silly autocorrect function. So, it shouldn't be a problem unless it is a blatant error like: "I is liking to go to you're school." :laugh:

nmnrraven said:
Don't worry about this. I had a typo in my personal statement, two in my activities list and several in my secondaries. It didn't hurt me one bit. If you read the acceptance (or waitlist, rejection, etc) letters schools send out, they also have typos in them. I have detected at least one typo in the material I've been sent from each school I've applied to. Word processors force a lot of these typos with that silly autocorrect function. So, it shouldn't be a problem unless it is a blatant error like: "I is liking to go to you're school." :laugh:

Also don't forget that while we put our heart and souls into these correspendences, they likely get looked at for a minute or less by the adcoms. A typo noticed on the fourth reading by one of us may never get noticed by the adcom.

May I ask--what was the typo?

Acceptable typos

Dear Commitee on Admissions,

The University of Timbuktoo is my top choice for ... etc.

Unacceptable typo:

Accidentally writing the WRONG school in your email.

So dont worry about it too much, unless you made that unacceptable mistake... :scared:

crazy_cavalier said:
Unacceptable typo:

So dont worry about it too much, unless you made that unacceptable mistake... :scared:

That's the one that really scares me. I like triple checked all my stuff to make sure I had the right names everywhere, but still felt anxious about it.

Ilovewaiting said:
The mistake was:

" ..and I wanted to write to write you an email to reiterate my interest in XXX."

Im not sure how this happened.

Good ole' "cut and paste" i bet.

crazy_cavalier said:
Acceptable typos

Dear Commitee on Admissions,

The University of Timbuktoo is my top choice for ... etc.

Unacceptable typo:

i almost did that last month when i copied and pasted a paragraph into another school's letter and forgot to change the name. I realized it after i had put it in the envelope, which i immediately tore up. that would've sucked

Ilovewaiting said:
The mistake was:

" ..and I wanted to write to write you an email to reiterate my interest in XXX."

Personally I don't think repeating to write is bad but referring to the med school as XXX is in poor taste :D

Ilovewaiting said:
The mistake was:

Sounds like a fun school!

;)

slothavenger said:
Personally I don't think repeating to write is bad but referring to the med school as XXX is in poor taste :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

sounds like a case for a road trip to intercept that letter. =)

Ilovewaiting said:
The mistake was:

Remember: 2 "writes" DO make a wrong!!

(Sorry -- I couldn't resist.)

pretty sure it won't hurt ya, but yeah, I know what you mean - I triple-proof my letters before sending them.

Apparition said:
There's probably a typo/grammatical error in most letters. Don't stress about it, it won't affect your chances.

I also had a typo in one of my LOIs that I noticed when I was reading a copy of a letter I had JUST mailed, I had 3 people read it, I had thrown an extra "an" in a sentance where it didn't make sense. I was worried about it at first, but I (and 3 others) didn't notice it on the 1st or even 2nd time reading through it...

so it's probably not a big deal, especially not at this point if you've already made the big cut! ;)

Don't worry... :oops: