I'm really old and have no clue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jl9999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here are my stats:
-I have 2 bachelors degrees, 1 in Psychology and 1 in Biology. The crappy part is my original performance as an undergrad was lousy to say the least. 2 F's, 2 D's and ton of C's as well as academic probation. I graduated by the skin of my teeth with a degree in Psychology. Years later I came back to school with some actual seriousness this time and spent 3.5 years full-time to get my bachelors in Biology. I got all A's except for one B( 1st semester in O-Chem). So long story short...
-Overall GPA: 2.9ish
-Science GPA: 3.95
-MCAT: took twice, 29N(9V, 10B, 10P) then a 33R(11,11,11) on the retake
-almost 4,000 hours working as a CNA
-1 year research experience, posters, presentations but no publications
-2.5 years holding a night study class for O-chem as well as general Zoology
-2 years volunteering in a nursing home with different activities, bingo, games, etc.
-some awards during my second degree for academic stuff
-no shadowing

So here's the thing, I already applied this year to medical school and didn't even get an interview :( I applied to:
-UVM
-BU
-Tufts
-Dartmouth
-UCONN
-Albany
-Rochester
-Maryland
-Georgetown

I know there are some holes in my application (first MCAT, grades from previous degree, no shadowing and I didn't apply until early to mid october) but not even a single interview was a bit surprising. I realize that my grades from my first degree were horrible but they were also anywhere from 10-13 years ago (I'll be 33 in July) and I figured I redeemed myself. I know neither of my MCAT's were amazing and nothing about my resume "jumps off the page" but then again I didn't feel like I over-reached for most of my schools. Obviously I was wrong. So at this point, besides getting some much needed shadowing and applying in June I have no clue what else to do. Do I just need to seriously lower my sights? because I would love to be a doctor but I don't want to be in my 40's still at this. I really appreciate any responses

Members don't see this ad.

Reading this I am not surprised one bit you didn't get an interview. You absolutely need shadowing experience. Shadow, apply early, apply broadly and to many schools, apply DO as well. Your list was too few and too high.

+1 to what the others have said.

I would recommend you also try to get the 2.9 to a 3.0. That could screen you out of quite a few schools without someone even looking to see that that was 10 years ago and since then you have done great.

If that's not really possible, I'm sure with grade replacement you could retake 1 or 2 of those F's and get it at or above 3.0 and apply DO. You would get into a DO school for sure (with some shadowing).

Edit: As long as you are verified in June, I say you can take up to two weeks on secondaries. You don't want them to look rushed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your problem is the lack of patient contact experience; you've got plenty of that. Rather, you aimed too high and you're getting autoscreened out. You need to aim for those schools that will look at and favor your 2nd degree and not the collective. They're out there. Suyggest contacting some admissions Deans to see if you're competetive.

Do NOT apply to public schools outside your own state.

You'll get far more love from DO programs as the AACOMAS grade replacement policy will great boost your GPA.

-2 years volunteering in a nursing home with different activities, bingo, games, etc.
-no shadowing

So here's the thing, I already applied this year to medical school and didn't even get an interview :( I applied to:
-UVM
-BU
-Tufts
-Dartmouth
-UCONN
-Albany
-Rochester
-Maryland
-Georgetown

I know there are some holes in my application (first MCAT, grades from previous degree, no shadowing and I didn't apply until early to mid october) but not even a single interview was a bit surprising. I realize that my grades from my first degree were horrible but they were also anywhere from 10-13 years ago (I'll be 33 in July) and I figured I redeemed myself. I know neither of my MCAT's were amazing and nothing about my resume "jumps off the page" but then again I didn't feel like I over-reached for most of my schools. Obviously I was wrong. So at this point, besides getting some much needed shadowing and applying in June I have no clue what else to do. Do I just need to seriously lower my sights? because I would love to be a doctor but I don't want to be in my 40's still at this. I really appreciate any responses

So here are my stats:
-I have 2 bachelors degrees, 1 in Psychology and 1 in Biology. The crappy part is my original performance as an undergrad was lousy to say the least. 2 F's, 2 D's and ton of C's as well as academic probation. I graduated by the skin of my teeth with a degree in Psychology. Years later I came back to school with some actual seriousness this time and spent 3.5 years full-time to get my bachelors in Biology. I got all A's except for one B( 1st semester in O-Chem). So long story short...
-no shadowing

-UVM
-BU
-Tufts
-Dartmouth
-UCONN
-Albany
-Rochester
-Maryland
-Georgetown

If AMCAS calculates 2.9 as your cGPA, you may be getting screened out of many of those schools before your application even hits the desk of a member of the admissions committee. Although you did redeem yourself, the computer that screens out applicants doesn't know that. I'd assume many schools have a 3.0 cut off. One of my state schools barely makes the top 50 and it has a 3.2 requirement. Then again, you see statistics of students with GPA's like yours get into schools so it's surely possible.

You spent many years going to college, studying, getting two bachelors degrees, improving a hell of a lot, and then it seems you just went and applied to 10 random schools without putting much thought into it. You have done all that work, reward yourself by MAKING A SOLID SCHOOL LIST. Consider every school in the country, including DO, and slowly knock off ones that don't meet your stats/interests until you have a solid school list of 15+ schools. Once you have done this, then apply early to those schools.

If AMCAS calculates 2.9 as your cGPA, you may be getting screened out of many of those schools before your application even hits the desk of a member of the admissions committee. Although you did redeem yourself, the computer that screens out applicants doesn't know that. I'd assume many schools have a 3.0 cut off. One of my state schools barely makes the top 50 and it has a 3.2 requirement. Then again, you see statistics of students with GPA's like yours get into schools so it's surely possible.

You spent many years going to college, studying, getting two bachelors degrees, improving a hell of a lot, and then it seems you just went and applied to 10 random schools without putting much thought into it. You have done all that work, reward yourself by MAKING A SOLID SCHOOL LIST. Consider every school in the country, including DO, and slowly knock off ones that don't meet your stats/interests until you have a solid school list of 15+ schools. Once you have done this, then apply early to those schools.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Is trying to stay in the New England area really that unreasonable? It wasn't a random list, I like the northeast, all of my family and friends are here, and I would prefer to stay here. So am I completely wasting my time by trying to apply to allopathic schools in general? I didn't realize the grades from years past could completely kill my entire application. I appreciate your responses

If BU and Tufts didnt' give you any love, then MD is not viable, except maybe at NYMC or Rosy Franklin. BUT, you do have UNECOM in your backyard, and Touro-Harlem and NYCOM reasonably close by.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Is trying to stay in the New England area really that unreasonable? It wasn't a random list, I like the northeast, all of my family and friends are here, and I would prefer to stay here. So am I completely wasting my time by trying to apply to allopathic schools in general? I didn't realize the grades from years past could completely kill my entire application. I appreciate your responses

Regarding applying to allo schools, you're not necessarily wasting your time, but you are going to have to apply to schools out of the NE region as well. Look for schools that are generous to OOS applicants, have matriculant stats close to yours (minus the cGPA), and don't pre-screen or are willing to give your app special attention (upon contacting them and explaining your situation to Deans/addcoms) in the pre-screening process due to your situation. I would also consider DO especially if staying in NE is really important. And as mentioned by others, possibly try and bump that cGPA into the low 3.0's if its feasible.

Based on your clinical experience shadowing is debatable - though there are those that may disagree; but it definitely wouldn't hurt. Quoting SurvivorD.O., "Getting into medical school is indeed a lot like completing a recipe. Like leaving out the yeast, it is unlikely that your application will rise to the top without certain components. You must get out of the McDonald’s mindset that more is better. Think like a gourmet chef and complete your recipe with only the finest, high-quality ingredients!" i.e., its quality not quantity, so if your clinical experience and volunteering really has been great and you can expound upon it to describe how its changed you and only furthered your desire to pursue medicine then really, you should be okay in that territory.

Lastly, although I can definitely see the burden in your situation you should really be proud of yourself, you've really made a HUGE accomplishment and shown your true colors academically.

The saying, "Beggars cannot be choosers" comes to mind here.

33 is not old.

Repeat of what was said above. Get some shadowing, use grade replacement for DO schools to get your GPA above a 3.0, and you should be good to go.

dsoz

Yes, you've had an excellent turn around, but with a 2.9, MD is not going to happen. It has nothing to do with shadowing. You have to raise it to a minimum of 3.0, and even then, as a non-URM, don't be surprised if you don't get in. I would strongly recommend the DO route.

Hello will you like attending a Medical school in the caribbean. You can try my school St. George's University in Grenada. Well I am suppose to start Pre-Med term 1 in August 2013. They are not as harsh on you as the other schools. My boyfriend had an arrest and couldn't get into any school's in the use but they gave him a fair try and he is doing really well. Try them and see

Hello will you like attending a Medical school in the caribbean. You can try my school St. George's University in Grenada. Well I am suppose to start Pre-Med term 1 in August 2013. They are not as harsh on you as the other schools. My boyfriend had an arrest and couldn't get into any school's in the use but they gave him a fair try and he is doing really well. Try them and see

OP avoid the Caribbean like the plague. With some minor tweaks, you've got a solid shot at DO schools. Don't give up and good luck!

OP avoid the Caribbean like the plague. With some minor tweaks, you've got a solid shot at DO schools. Don't give up and good luck!
Even now there might be DO colleges that would take him. Look at the underdogs thread. There have been a few <3.0 that have gotten in with a high MCAT. If the OP wants this route, he should follow it. My recommendation to be on the safe side is to figure out how many retakes to get a 3.0. Apply this year with planned retakes listed to give confidence to ADCOM that you'll matriculate with a 3.0+

If BU and Tufts didnt' give you any love, then MD is not viable, except maybe at NYMC or Rosy Franklin. BUT, you do have UNECOM in your backyard, and Touro-Harlem and NYCOM reasonably close by.

Wat. I disagree with this conclusion.

Don't be surprised most of the schools didn't get back to you, OP!
Your school list can be much, much better! Albany, Tufts, and Rochester should've given you another look, but your app submission in mid-October probably did you in.

If you're willing to give this another shot, I suggest you do like Red October said.

Browse this (a few years old). Look for an updated one.

http://www.washington.edu/uaa/advising/downloads/gpamcat.pdf

Add school with lower acceptance stats, and a few state schools that actually accept a decent number of out of state applicants. Not any others, regardless if they're in the northeast or not. Up your number of schools to 15-20.

Get your entire app ready to go by the first week of June.

Get your school list ready early, and go on the school-specific threads on here to get the secondary prompts. Write these essays AHEAD OF TIME! (Super important)

Do the above and you'll get the best shot you could possibly have. In the meantime, keep improving your app. Take a few undergrad courses to bump your GPA to a 3.0. Do some shadowing.

You don't say what state your in that resume would probably get you into some States medical schools look arround especially at some of the schoolsvwith strong regional biasis and consider moving there if possible to establish yourself. It is done and those schools tend to have a smaller pool. Remember once you have the Md moist places don't care where the degree is from

this is all really great advice, I appreciate it. I live in Maine so all I have is UNE. I'll certainly try some DO schools this coming year. I figured I would get auto-rejected by some schools but also figured that if my app actually made it in front of a human beings eyeballs perhaps my previous academic lousiness wouldn't bear as much weight, oh well, lesson learned.

4ad90b08_Not-sure-if-serious2.jpeg

OP, don't consider Caribb's. Apply more broadly. NE and CA kids get the shaft; lot's of applicants, proportionally enough spots.