I'm registered for the 5/27 MCAT, but considering 6/17... advice please!

vanasme

7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2009
45
2
141
Status
I've found myself in quite the predicament. I'm currently registered to take the MCAT on May 27th. This date, however, is not so great for a couple of reasons:

1. It's in a state that's a three hour drive away (there wasn't a single testing spot open closer to where I live)
2. It's starts at noon instead of 8am (I'm definitely a morning person so this is a pretty big problem)
3. It's only 2 weeks after my last final (which doesn't give me much time to dedicate SOLELY to the MCAT.

My other option is to take it June 17th. I could take it near-by, it's a morning test AND it's almost 5 weeks after my last final. The downside, however, is that the application for med school opens at the beginning of June and in an ideal world, EVERYTHING would be done the day the application opens so that it can be submitted asap. Even if I took the MCAT in the end of May, my file wouldn't be "complete" until my MCAT score was released - somewhere around the end of June. Then I have to wait for my university's committee to write my letter (which could take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks after they receive my MCAT score). So with the May test date, I wouldn't be complete at schools until mid July - a month and a half after the application opens. If I took the MCAT on the June 17th test date, I wouldn't be complete until the end of July or beginning of August - about 2 months after the application opens. Schools will most likely be interviewing before I even have my application complete if I take the June 17th MCAT :(

I don't know what to do. I know I'll have a better MCAT score and better grades if I take the June 17th date, but I REALLY want to be considered in the "early applicant pool." If I take the June 17th date, I'm definitely pushing it. If, however, I rock the MCAT and get all As this semester as a result of me pushing the test back a couple of weeks, it would most likely be worth it.

I'm so confused. Everyone tells me something different. Some people say I'm pushing it by even taking the end of May test, but other people say that June 17th is perfectly fine - they're all "credible" people, so I don't know who to trust! I really want to take the June 17th test, but something in my gut is telling me I should just suck it up and take it at the end of May. I think I'm just nervous that my pre-health committee will take forever getting my committee letter written, which will delay my application more than anything else. If I KNEW FOR SURE that they could have it done in a week after they get my MCAT score, I would definitely take the June 17th test, but if it takes up to three weeks, I can't afford to take the test in June. I find it unacceptable that it would take three whole weeks for them to write me a one page letter, but me pestering them about it isn't exactly going to encourage them to write my letter in a more timely matter.

So what do I do?! If everything is in except the committee letter by mid to end of July (versus end of June), am I putting myself at a huge disadvantage? I've worked REALLY hard this year and managed to pull my science GPA up quite a bit (from a 3.4 to a 3.6) and I'd really hate to blow it now. What if I just submit my application while my school is writing the committee letter and then just update it when the committee letter is finished... would this even work?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! :eek:
 

gymtanlaundry

Removed
Jan 22, 2010
66
0
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I've found myself in quite the predicament. I'm currently registered to take the MCAT on May 27th. This date, however, is not so great for a couple of reasons:

1. It's in a state that's a three hour drive away (there wasn't a single testing spot open closer to where I live)
2. It's starts at noon instead of 8am (I'm definitely a morning person so this is a pretty big problem)
3. It's only 2 weeks after my last final (which doesn't give me much time to dedicate SOLELY to the MCAT.

My other option is to take it June 17th. I could take it near-by, it's a morning test AND it's almost 5 weeks after my last final. The downside, however, is that the application for med school opens at the beginning of June and in an ideal world, EVERYTHING would be done the day the application opens so that it can be submitted asap. Even if I took the MCAT in the end of May, my file wouldn't be "complete" until my MCAT score was released - somewhere around the end of June. Then I have to wait for my university's committee to write my letter (which could take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks after they receive my MCAT score). So with the May test date, I wouldn't be complete at schools until mid July - a month and a half after the application opens. If I took the MCAT on the June 17th test date, I wouldn't be complete until the end of July or beginning of August - about 2 months after the application opens. Schools will most likely be interviewing before I even have my application complete if I take the June 17th MCAT :(

I don't know what to do. I know I'll have a better MCAT score and better grades if I take the June 17th date, but I REALLY want to be considered in the "early applicant pool." If I take the June 17th date, I'm definitely pushing it. If, however, I rock the MCAT and get all As this semester as a result of me pushing the test back a couple of weeks, it would most likely be worth it.

I'm so confused. Everyone tells me something different. Some people say I'm pushing it by even taking the end of May test, but other people say that June 17th is perfectly fine - they're all "credible" people, so I don't know who to trust! I really want to take the June 17th test, but something in my gut is telling me I should just suck it up and take it at the end of May. I think I'm just nervous that my pre-health committee will take forever getting my committee letter written, which will delay my application more than anything else. If I KNEW FOR SURE that they could have it done in a week after they get my MCAT score, I would definitely take the June 17th test, but if it takes up to three weeks, I can't afford to take the test in June. I find it unacceptable that it would take three whole weeks for them to write me a one page letter, but me pestering them about it isn't exactly going to encourage them to write my letter in a more timely matter.

So what do I do?! If everything is in except the committee letter by mid to end of July (versus end of June), am I putting myself at a huge disadvantage? I've worked REALLY hard this year and managed to pull my science GPA up quite a bit (from a 3.4 to a 3.6) and I'd really hate to blow it now. What if I just submit my application while my school is writing the committee letter and then just update it when the committee letter is finished... would this even work?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! :eek:


take it in June. late june, even. better to get a good score late than a sh*tty score early.
 
Sep 20, 2009
117
0
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I've found myself in quite the predicament. I'm currently registered to take the MCAT on May 27th. This date, however, is not so great for a couple of reasons:

1. It's in a state that's a three hour drive away (there wasn't a single testing spot open closer to where I live)
2. It's starts at noon instead of 8am (I'm definitely a morning person so this is a pretty big problem)
3. It's only 2 weeks after my last final (which doesn't give me much time to dedicate SOLELY to the MCAT.

My other option is to take it June 17th. I could take it near-by, it's a morning test AND it's almost 5 weeks after my last final. The downside, however, is that the application for med school opens at the beginning of June and in an ideal world, EVERYTHING would be done the day the application opens so that it can be submitted asap. Even if I took the MCAT in the end of May, my file wouldn't be "complete" until my MCAT score was released - somewhere around the end of June. Then I have to wait for my university's committee to write my letter (which could take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks after they receive my MCAT score). So with the May test date, I wouldn't be complete at schools until mid July - a month and a half after the application opens. If I took the MCAT on the June 17th test date, I wouldn't be complete until the end of July or beginning of August - about 2 months after the application opens. Schools will most likely be interviewing before I even have my application complete if I take the June 17th MCAT :(

I don't know what to do. I know I'll have a better MCAT score and better grades if I take the June 17th date, but I REALLY want to be considered in the "early applicant pool." If I take the June 17th date, I'm definitely pushing it. If, however, I rock the MCAT and get all As this semester as a result of me pushing the test back a couple of weeks, it would most likely be worth it.

I'm so confused. Everyone tells me something different. Some people say I'm pushing it by even taking the end of May test, but other people say that June 17th is perfectly fine - they're all "credible" people, so I don't know who to trust! I really want to take the June 17th test, but something in my gut is telling me I should just suck it up and take it at the end of May. I think I'm just nervous that my pre-health committee will take forever getting my committee letter written, which will delay my application more than anything else. If I KNEW FOR SURE that they could have it done in a week after they get my MCAT score, I would definitely take the June 17th test, but if it takes up to three weeks, I can't afford to take the test in June. I find it unacceptable that it would take three whole weeks for them to write me a one page letter, but me pestering them about it isn't exactly going to encourage them to write my letter in a more timely matter.

So what do I do?! If everything is in except the committee letter by mid to end of July (versus end of June), am I putting myself at a huge disadvantage? I've worked REALLY hard this year and managed to pull my science GPA up quite a bit (from a 3.4 to a 3.6) and I'd really hate to blow it now. What if I just submit my application while my school is writing the committee letter and then just update it when the committee letter is finished... would this even work?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! :eek:
Your ugrad won't write your committee letter until after you get your MCAT score??

I say take it later..MCAT >> early application in terms of importance. You'd rather have a solid MCAT score and be not-so-early than an okay MCAT score and be early, in my opinion (going on the assumption that you will get a better score in the later test date).

I would take it in June, but be sure to fill out your primary before it opens so you can submit it on the first day and get verified, and then the only thing amcas is waiting on is your MCAT score and committee letter..I don't think you need those 2 to be verified.

I'm in the same predicament, only I'm waiting to see if I got a research position, and then decide.

----

And just for future reference, you could have easily posted 2-3 sentences about this instead of your paragraphs, people are more likely to give advice if they don't need to read all that much ;) Definitely learned that in the time I've been lurking...
 

mwalker394

Person
Feb 8, 2010
101
0
0
Status
Medical Student
I agree with everyone above. Take it later. Firstly, it's not THAT late to apply first thing in August. I was out of the country my entire junior year, so I had to take the August 6th MCAT; I couldn't submit my app until September 9th or something. But I'll tell you what, I sure wasn't prepared for the MCAT at the beginning of the summer so I'm glad I waited and got a really great score rather than applied early with a completely average one. Secondly, if taking the early MCAT could hurt your GPA, you'd be crazy to do it. An application submitted later with a strong GPA and MCAT will FAR outweigh an app submitted June 1st with completely mediocre stats.
 

mdquestion

5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2009
157
0
91
Status
Assuming your committee gets on things quickly, you'll have your letter by August. Just plan to submit your primary app quickly (even without your MCAT score). Heck, you could submit June as long as you specificy that you're scheduled to take the test. That way...you get your secondaries in early July. Can fill them out while the committee writes your letter. And by August when they're done....you'll be complete everywhere.

August complete dates are pretty normal...and actually still pretty early.
 

cher25

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
734
21
251
Status
Attending Physician
I took the MCAT June 18 last cycle and got multiple interviews and acceptances. The schools don't even start look at applications until July/Aug. As the previous poster stated, it would be better to take it in June and get an optimal score than take it in May and risk getting a crappy score.
 

starl3tte

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
321
2
141
Status
Medical Student
I also vote for late June. Last thing you want is to be unhappy with your May score and rush to re-take this beast.
 

vanasme

7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2009
45
2
141
Status
Thanks for the advice... It looks like I'll change my registration date tomorrow morning. If anyone else wants to put in their two cents, you're more than welcome!