IM residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tritz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Roughly, what scores (boards/class rank) are required to match to a top tier internal medicine program (one that would facilitate getting a competitive fellowship).

Members don't see this ad.

Most students who match at top tier IM programs (Harvard, UCSF, Hopkins) are AOA, have board scores 230+. Of course there are many who are able to match without those qualifications, doing research and publishing, or having very good LOR's help too.

Could someone help me with this? I am a second year and I am starting to think about my options. I just don't know how to go about it.

I am ultimately looking to practice in Sports Medicine. I am also looking into either non-invasive cardiology, general internal medicine, or family practice.

Now, let me know if I have this right...

If I were to choose n-i cardio, would my path be:

internal med residency
cardio specialty
sports med specialty
sports med fellowship

What is the right order of events?

Which one would be the specialty, and which one would be the subspecialty?

Is there a cardiology residency, or is that through internal med?

And is it possible to get a cardiology residency without doing research in cardiology?

And is there any information on programs in New York?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dr_almondjoy_do
Could someone help me with this? I am a second year and I am starting to think about my options. I just don't know how to go about it.

I am ultimately looking to practice in Sports Medicine. I am also looking into either non-invasive cardiology, general internal medicine, or family practice.

Now, let me know if I have this right...

If I were to choose n-i cardio, would my path be:

internal med residency
cardio specialty
sports med specialty
sports med fellowship

What is the right order of events?

Which one would be the specialty, and which one would be the subspecialty?

Is there a cardiology residency, or is that through internal med?

And is it possible to get a cardiology residency without doing research in cardiology?

And is there any information on programs in New York?

In order to become a non-invasive cardiologist, you would have to do a 3 year internal medicine residency, then a 3 yr cardiology fellowship. There is not cardiology residency. For sports medicine, you have a lot more options. You can actually do a sports medicine fellowship after family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics, orthopedics, or even general surgery. I'm sure that there are other residencies that sports medicine fellowships are available for too that I am missing. It is possible to get a cardiology fellowship without doing any cardiology research, but it's probably easier if you do have research experience. Cardiology is very competetive right now, and you have to be a very strong resume with people who are willing to write strong letters of support to get in. You apply for a cardiology fellowship at the beginning of your second year of your internal medicine residency.

Thanks, ckent,

But now I have MORE questions....

How does one get time to do research while in med school? I am past that MSI - MSII summer break, and I don't know about spending a year off to do research next year unless it is an AMAZing opportunity. How often is that done?

Would I be able to complete the sports medicine fellowship first and then to the cardiology, or would that be frowned upon? And how often do you see people take on more than one specialty? I did some research online, and I can't seem to find any that did both n-i cardio and sports med. I do know it exists, but I just don't know...

And how competitive is it? Would you have an applicant/acceptance ratio?

And by the way, your sticky was the most helpful so far IMO in the history of SDN! I wish more moderators would post FAQs..

Originally posted by dr_almondjoy_do
Thanks, ckent,

But now I have MORE questions....

How does one get time to do research while in med school? I am past that MSI - MSII summer break, and I don't know about spending a year off to do research next year unless it is an AMAZing opportunity. How often is that done?

Would I be able to complete the sports medicine fellowship first and then to the cardiology, or would that be frowned upon? And how often do you see people take on more than one specialty? I did some research online, and I can't seem to find any that did both n-i cardio and sports med. I do know it exists, but I just don't know...

And how competitive is it? Would you have an applicant/acceptance ratio?

And by the way, your sticky was the most helpful so far IMO in the history of SDN! I wish more moderators would post FAQs..

You have many oportunities to do research. Depending on the med school, at some schools, I've heard that ~10-40% of classes take extra years to do research/do other things. Other times to do research include doing research electives during fourth year and during residency. I don't know why you would want to do sports medicine and cardiology. I guess that you could have a cardiology clinic that did stress tests on people who want to do sports, but I think that doing both would be a mistake as most people who need cardiologists should not be playing sports. I do not have an applicant/acceptance ratio, but usually only the best people at university IM programs get accepted into cardiology. Glad that you liked the FAQ!

Ckent,

I have to respectfully disagree with you on the sports med/ cardio issue...

Unfortunately, that is the common misperception that many practitioners have about physically active people. There actually is a prevalence of heart disease in even professional athletes that often goes unnoticed because people do think that a physically fit body contains a physically fit heart. By the time we realize someone shouldn't be working out, they are dead!

Being a leading cause of death in both sexes and hitting at any age, people should really start looking at heart disease differently.

There is also a rise in sudden cardiac arrest in college athletes and younger. Often born with slight heart deformities, a young person can enter a Division I athletic program, work themselves to a high level of physical stamina, then drop from a heart attack or stroke because of insufficient perfusion or a deformity. This gets overlooked a lot.

Then you have the weekend warrior that decides to enter a 5K run or play touch football not realizing that they could really strain their heart and have all types of problems that wouldn't even present as a heart problem. They often blame it on the food they ate or the stressfull week at work.

But if there is anyone out there that is currently doing a sports medicine fellowship and can inform me on the content, I would appreciate it. I would like to know that there is some type of emplasis on cardiology, but I wonder how much being that they are for one year.

I don't see 4 years doing specialization as being so bad (3 cardio and 1 sports med). Surgery is as long as that or even longer! Is what I would learn as an internal med resident enough to cover the cardio part? And how much research would constitute as enough? Months? Years?

I know I'm asking alot, but I need to know! Sorry!

Thanks! You have helped me once again!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: