IM residency for an IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nbsm14692

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-US IMG with
Step 1: 267
Step 2 CK: 265
Step 2 CS: passed
YOG: 2016 (Applying for Match' 17)
Top 1% of my medical class
1 month clinical elective; 1 month clinical observership; 6 months of research electives in the US
6 pubmed indexed publications (2 from the US, the rest from my home country).
What are my realistic chances of getting an IM residency in one of the Top 10-20 programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Should move this to the IM residency subforum what are my chances thread if you want more attending input.

Chances with a 267 & 265? As good as they can be for an IMG. Your scores will certainly get you past any screen. If the program has taken IMGs in the past they will probably look at you.

Honestly? Apply to 100+ IM programs in US and just be happy when you match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances with a 267 & 265? As good as they can be for an IMG. Your scores will certainly get you past any screen. If the program has taken IMGs in the past they will probably look at you.

Honestly? Apply to 100+ IM programs in US and just be happy when you match.
Certainly hope so. It's still stressful though. I'll be giving up residency here to join in the US. Don't want to do that unless it's a substantially better school...

Certainly hope so. It's still stressful though. I'll be giving up residency here to join in the US. Don't want to do that unless it's a substantially better school...
They wont look at your 267 thesame way they look at a medical student your already doing a resid
Did you obtain your scores while in residency....

Last edited:
They wont look at your 267 thesame way they look at a medical student your already doing a resid

Did you obtain doe's scores while in residency....
No. I meant I am being offered a residency position here right now. So my options are either taking that up or declining it and going to the US for clinical experience.
The scores are all as a med student.

the top 20 programs will want research and you'll also be limited by those who are willing to put up with visa issues. you have some research, it's up to programs to see how much they want you vs an american student.

are you from Europe/Canada or somewhere in Asia? Your odds are much higher if you went to a European school than an Asian school (eg pakistan, india).