IM residency programs geared towards specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Linus2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about this the other day and thought I would get people's views on this. I've heard there are a few IM programs that gear their residents towards specializing as opposed to becoming hospitalists. Any ideas as to which programs do that?

Members don't see this ad.

Was thinking about this the other day and thought I would get people's views on this. I've heard there are a few IM programs that gear their residents towards specializing as opposed to becoming hospitalists. Any ideas as to which programs do that?

I didn't know certain programs did this, but I thought that was the whole point of categorical vs primary care.

Sorry I meant Categorical programs. I've heard the Ohio State residency program leans more towards setting up residents for fellowships as opposed to hospitalists.

Because the hospitalist is a relatively new career in the U.S., MOST university-based categorical IM programs will prepare you well for and provide mentorship for fellowship applications.

From my experience on the interview trail, very few categorical programs have hospitalist "tracks" (U of Colorado, UPMC come to mind).

If you want to obtain a fellowship, highly rank university-based programs that offer fellowships in your desired field. That is the best way to gain connections, meaningful letters of recommendation, learn about the field, etc.

(Of course graduates of community programs can obtain fellowships but it is more difficult)