IM residency suggestions for speaking Spanish + conducting research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

immaxf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know which residencies have a reputation for having many research opportunities (I'm interested in ID) as well as a particularly high proportion of Spanish-speaking patients. I imagine that some of the teaching hospitals in NY, Florida, and Texas, for example, would meet these criteria, but I'd appreciate a more definitive answer from residents/attendings who have first-hand knowledge as I begin to think about where I want to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious to know which residencies have a reputation for having many research opportunities (I'm interested in ID) as well as a particularly high proportion of Spanish-speaking patients. I imagine that some of the teaching hospitals in NY, Florida, and Texas, for example, would meet these criteria, but I'd appreciate a more definitive answer from residents/attendings who have first-hand knowledge as I begin to think about where I want to apply.

University of Barcelona
Autonomous University of Madrid
Universidad de Navarra
Columbia University

maybe

Texas tech - El Paso, TX
Jackson Memorial - Miami, FL

El Paso and Miami have the largest Spanish speaking populations in the country, as well as significant migrant traffic with some very interesting ID pathology.

I am actually from El Paso, interested in ID as well. I interviewed at both places. Send me a PM if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
not sure why you didn't mention CA

it's not as hard to land a community spot in Cali as it is to attend school there
some of the community/county places with Spanish patients you can see some cool ID stuff, as often they don't get care, so will come in with more advanced TB, HIV, syphilis, on and on.

Miami is good for this too.

Keep in mind Cuban Spanish is going to be slightly different from central American Spanish that you see more of in TX, AZ, and CA.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Agree! If you are looking for Spanish speaking patients and lots of unique pathology then you should be looking at County hospitals in Florida, Texas, and especially Southern California (particularly Los Angeles).

Also add southern california (Los Angeles) to your list. When you're choosing a program (regardless of NY, FL, TX, CA), make sure you take a close look at the hospitals they rotate at. A program based primarily at a county hospital is what you're looking for (more spanish speakers, generally more advanced pathology).

I can also vouch for the University of Southern California in LA. A large amount of the patient population is Hispanic and you'll find amazing pathology especially from an ID and Heme/Onc standpoint. Many patients fly straight from other countries to LA and immediately go to LAC+USC hospital for a workup. They often present with very late stage disease that isn't normally seen. You'll likely see things there that most people rarely see in a lifetime! Plus it's a new hospital, so it doesn't look like the other County hospitals around the country.

Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami is another County Program you should check out (although Cuban Spanish is different than the traditional Spanish people learn).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users