IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stepvictory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i worked really hard for step 1 ,but surprisingly i got a lower score than my nbme scores.i got 215 in step 1

i m an IMG ,what are my chances for IM residency .

i m feeling too low now ,pls advice .thank you so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hey i worked really hard for step 1 ,but surprisingly i got a lower score than my nbme scores.i got 215 in step 1

i m an IMG ,what are my chances for IM residency .

i m feeling too low now ,pls advice .thank you so much

No one can tell you what your chances are.
You're done with Step 1, move on and do your best with the rest of your application (Step 2, USCE, US LORs).
Apply broadly (100+ programs).

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply broadly. You probably won't get any interviews from the following programs: OHSU, NWU, the big 4 NY programs, any UC programs, the top notch programs, etc. You'll get decent interviews from solid mid-tier programs

Apply broadly. You probably won't get any interviews from the following programs: OHSU, NWU, the big 4 NY programs, any UC programs, the top notch programs, etc. You'll get decent interviews from solid mid-tier programs

Your advice I guess shd be directed to an AMG.
As an IMG...even scores >230 doesnt guarantee interviews from solid midtier programs.

It is an OK score...not bad.
However it isnt only about scores....though u shd try and score higher(as that is how IMGs are scoring in general)....u shd get some USCE, publications, LORS from US faculty...these are equally decisive.
And yes apply to over 100 programs. This is what being an IMG means

Your advice I guess shd be directed to an AMG.
As an IMG...even scores >230 doesnt guarantee interviews from solid midtier programs.

It is an OK score...not bad.
However it isnt only about scores....though u shd try and score higher(as that is how IMGs are scoring in general)....u shd get some USCE, publications, LORS from US faculty...these are equally decisive.
And yes apply to over 100 programs. This is what being an IMG means

i saw in NRMP ,the average of independent applicants is 212 while that of AMGs is 222 ,that means IMGs on average get lower than AMGs .Still IMGs get matched ,the scores in SDN blur the reality . SDN makes me feel anything below 230 sucks ,i wish its not like that in the real world .

i saw in NRMP ,the average of independent applicants is 212 while that of AMGs is 222 ,that means IMGs on average get lower than AMGs .Still IMGs get matched ,the scores in SDN blur the reality . SDN makes me feel anything below 230 sucks ,i wish its not like that in the real world .

The problem with the charting outcomes is that it doesnt have data for the many IMGs that take pre match positions. A lot of high scoring IMGs get positions out of the match. Dont be obsessed with the matching outcomes. Just try and score the highest possible becos for an IMG even with >230 u can end up with some 6 interviews only. Anyway I scored around what u scored for step 1 and 2 and I matched. But let me be frank with u...it is a brutal process....and if u getting satisfied with your scores becos of some statistics....it will be a problem later on. Anyway it isnt only about scores...make sure you get USCE and US LORS...I found that to be very fundamental to stand out among other IMGs

But let me be frank with u...it is a brutal process....and if u getting satisfied with your scores becos of some statistics....it will be a problem later on. Anyway it isnt only about scores...make sure you get USCE and US LORS...I found that to be very fundamental to stand out among other IMGs

Thanks .i understand ........u r an IMG right ? sorry for dumb question.

Thank you very much for making me realize the reality.

I know this is probably a bit early (still waiting for the WAMC thread) and I know how the regulars probably hate these sort of threads too...but can anyone give me some advice regarding where I stand?I'm an IMG, I haven't a clue, got no-one else to talk to and don't even know what mid/lower/high-tier programs are!

University of London student-Graduating this July, entering the 2013 match.
Step 1: 234
Step 2CK: 257
CS: Pending in May
Going for IM
Class ranking: Final class ranking to come out soon. Say within the top 20-30 of my year. Have distinctions in the last three years out of four (probably equal to Honors for the year overall). Got an academic excellence prize with a nice cash sum.

Will have 2x Sub-Is in IM done (one through UCLA and one through Columbia) with letters from each and have a UK letter as well.

No publications, no research.
Likely going to need an H1B (put in a GC lottery application as a crap shoot)

I mean, just based on that (and a presumed CS pass) what should I be aiming at? Anywhere I can find a breakdown of where programs sit in the tiers?

I know this is probably a bit early (still waiting for the WAMC thread) and I know how the regulars probably hate these sort of threads too...but can anyone give me some advice regarding where I stand?I'm an IMG, I haven't a clue, got no-one else to talk to and don't even know what mid/lower/high-tier programs are!

Going for IM
Class ranking: Final class ranking to come out soon. Say within the top 20-30 of my year. Have distinctions in the last three years out of four (probably equal to Honors for the year overall). Got an academic excellence prize with a nice cash sum.

Will have 2x Sub-Is in IM done (one through UCLA and one through Columbia) with letters from each and have a UK letter as well.

I mean, just based on that (and a presumed CS pass) what should I be aiming at? Anywhere I can find a breakdown of where programs sit in the tiers?

Being an IMG, the advice above still applies. Check the multitudes of other threads about program rankings to get an idea of high/mid/low.

Being an IMG, the advice above still applies. Check the multitudes of other threads about program rankings to get an idea of high/mid/low.

Will do. I'll have a read of the 2012 WAMC and try to get an idea.

Going for IM

You're definitely an above average IMG.
Doesn't matter though with regards to how you aim: apply broadly, have high hopes, and modest expectations.

You're definitely an above average IMG.
Doesn't matter though with regards to how you aim: apply broadly, have high hopes, and modest expectations.

Cheers :thumbup: yeah I am under no illusions ;)

Going for IM

U are a strong candidate. Very vew IMGs do subinternships...so this will make u stand out. And beeing from Uk has a somewhat advantage. Your scores are good
Limiting yourself to H1B...automatically means that at a place like Columbia u have zero chance. If u limiting yourself in terms of Visa then u have to apply very very broadly!!!!

@stepvictory..yes I am an IMG