IM resident in <3 Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noodles90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Doc!

I have been a silent observer of SDN, this is my first official conversation..wanted to reach out to everyone...even if its your two cents, its worth a mill. Im an IM resident interested in radiation oncology.

Background:
IM resident at a community program. A US IMG. Step 1 - 231 and Step 2 -219).
Ive always been fascinated by imaging/radiology but at the same time wanted a clinical/patient oriented career hence started with IM, but if I knew about Rad Onc before would have pursued that instead...

I already know that my chances are close to none, but I want to give it an honest shot.

What Ive done so far:
Professional trainee: Worked with a neurology for a year in UT houston and mapped ROIs in MRI of intracerebral hematomas with MRICron, working on a methods paper.
Observing a Rad onc here (in btw residency) for a few months.Will have a 2 week Rad Onc rotation inhospital.
Have a few posters in oncology related research- accepted at state research competitions.
First author for an ASCO poster and part of a few publications in ASCO.

Disadvantages at the moment:
No Rad Onc specific research
Community program: not much exposure.
Only one away rotation in for HEM-ONC ( Rad-Onc is not available)

From the info Ive gathered, I will need a Phd and much more Rad Onc related research.
Ive looked through every single Rad Onc program in the country and of 92 programs about 10-12 have IMGs (acc to Frieda).
I will be applying to Hem Onc starting nxt year but what are my chances if I take a year off and take part in Rad Onc research? I also dont want to exhaust my time in this if my chances are close to none..
Will programs even take a look at my application?

Please provide me with your valuable opinion guys..Thank U!

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea how competitive you will be. Or if you can get in at all.

However if I were you and I really wanted to give it a shot I'd pass my IM boards. Then do a year or more of rad onc specific research. Make sure you get a couple first author publications and a letter of recommendation from a rad onc attending. You could moonlight as an attending on the weekends to pay for your life expenses. It would be a lot of hard work.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, hoping to do the same. Thank you noisyrope, appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)