I'm screwed. Accepted by MD school, but my AP credit NOT accepted?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Okay I messed up. In high school I took AP Chem and got a 5, so my college gave me college credit for both semesters of inorganic chemistry. Then I find out that for minimum requirements, this MD school does NOT accept AP credits for their two semester inorganic chemistry requirement:

"The Committee on Admissions usually recognizes undergraduate credit given for advanced placement courses when it is indicated on a transcript. However, for the specific minimum requirements, advanced placement credits are not generally acceptable. Upper level coursework may be used to fulfill the course requirements."

My question: I took biochem and one semester of Inorganic chem lecture + lab. Can I slide by this as justification, since key words are "not generally acceptable" and "upper level coursework may be used to fulfill" which is giving me hope that they usually give leeway to accepted students? Am I being paranoid and once accepted, they won't be sticklers on one requirement and block my matriculation?

Otherwise I guess I need to call the school. If they don't accept my AP credits, then I need to ask if they accept community college over the summer.

Just when I thought I was in, they pull me back out.

Members don't see this ad.

yea, you absolutely should call the school to get clarification on your situation. Also, if you already took one semester of inorganic chem lecture + lab, i dont see why you cant just take the other semester of inorganic chem + lab next spring or find out if the course is offered in a early summer session before matriculation.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm actually wondering about this too. I placed out of my school's gen chem using AP credit and took orgo freshman year. Will this be a problem? I'm applying next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, if they accept community college but not AP credits, there is a sketch thing you can do where you claim AP credit at a community college and then transfer it over to your state/private university. A potential solution? I know people who did this bc our state school wouldn't accept X grade on an AP exam, but the community college would.

Definitely call to clarify. Also, see if your university offers extension courses (like, night classes or remote) or self-paced learning for chem 1 and 2. Self-paced learning = you can start right now and work on it whenever, which would mean summer course scheduling wouldn't potentially conflict with med school classes starting.

If your university DOESN'T have extension courses/self-paced learning, google around for a state/private university that does and will transfer the grade to your home university. These courses are usually significantly cheaper than tuition and you could do them remotely from your home state.

Nobody pulled anything, you didnt check MSAR for the schools you applied to.
Can you not sign up for the gen chem over the spring? You mentioned you took one semester already.

Reactions: 6 users
And I know there are some options online. AGAIN make sure your school takes online gen chem! You could buzz through it on,ine through UNE or whatever (im sure there are more options) and you could be done my Feb-March

Am I being paranoid and once accepted, they won't be sticklers on one requirement and block my matriculation?

Acceptance is always conditional on you completing any remaining requirements..... literally every school does this unless they don't have requirements (in which case there is likely a GPA requirement). You need to call them and ask what they want you to do, but you need to be prepared for the likely outcome of you needing to take another semester of inorganic chem.

Reactions: 2 users
Just call admissions (today). Worst case scenario is you need to take theses classes anywhere you can find a seat in the spring (or take one in the spring, one in the summer before whenever this MD progams deadline is).

Reactions: 1 user
Okay I messed up. In high school I took AP Chem and got a 5, so my college gave me college credit for both semesters of inorganic chemistry. Then I find out that for minimum requirements, this MD school does NOT accept AP credits for their two semester inorganic chemistry requirement:

"The Committee on Admissions usually recognizes undergraduate credit given for advanced placement courses when it is indicated on a transcript. However, for the specific minimum requirements, advanced placement credits are not generally acceptable. Upper level coursework may be used to fulfill the course requirements."

My question: I took biochem and one semester of Inorganic chem lecture + lab. Can I slide by this as justification, since key words are "not generally acceptable" and "upper level coursework may be used to fulfill" which is giving me hope that they usually give leeway to accepted students? Am I being paranoid and once accepted, they won't be sticklers on one requirement and block my matriculation?

Otherwise I guess I need to call the school. If they don't accept my AP credits, then I need to ask if they accept community college over the summer.

I agree with gonnif. You have time to take a semester of chemistry Spring term.
Regarding your phrase (in bold above) I am pretty sure that biochem was also a pre-requisite course, so you would not be able to count biochem as filling both the biochem and the chem requirement.

Yeah agree with everyone that calling the school is the best way to resolve this. You are likely not completely screwed.

Call the school and see what you need to do. If its a problem, you can complete the two courses as summer classes at basically any school. Congrats on the acceptance!

This is NOT a solution. The issue isnt if s college will give course credit for AP. It is that medical schools will NOT ACCEPT any prereq course credit that was earned by AP.

But the OP has already discussed the 2 solutions
1) taking advanced chem course in place if AP earned credit
2) take an actual CC class (NOT online)
3) request waivier

The med school can force you to defer if you do not fill prereqs. Additionally, though extremely unlikely, they could rescind your acceptance and you would have recourse.

And if you wonder why schools are so strict on this, it has little to do with you but rather how the school gets accredited/reaccredited. the school has been accredited including its admissions policy, process and applicant reqiurements. It gets reaccredited based mostly on adhering to thesw approved policies. Thus it makes students follow them

1) They wouldn’t know unless you told them.
2) the extension at a state university is still a perfectly valid solution if they don’t want to pay full tuition. It appears on transcripts as in residence, from either state or private school, even if it is online. Many offer in person classes too. This is a cheap solution and, if their med school doesn't accept community college, could be great if they do not currently live by a non-community college and/or wouldn't be able to register for Spring classes in time. Definitely helpful if they've already graduated and would have to reapply for admission.

Last edited:
2) the extension at a state university is still a perfectly valid solution if they don’t want to pay full tuition. It appears on transcripts as in residence, from either state or private school, even if it is online. Many offer in person classes too. This is a cheap solution and, if their med school doesn't accept community college, could be great if they do not currently live by a non-community college and/or wouldn't be able to register for Spring classes in time. Definitely helpful if they've already graduated and would have to reapply for admission.

It is really easy to apply to be a non degree seeking student though, both at 4 years and CCs. I speak from experience from my own DIY post bac. Your suggestions are way to high risk. OP has an MD acceptance. He should do whatever is necessary to ensure it is not jeopardized.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

How would they not know? OP would still have to submit the transcript from the CC if that was the route they took. (My school literally marked on my transcript where my transfer credits came from, so, you’d have an issue not submitting that transcript..)

What does your acceptance letter say? Does it specifically say you are responsible for completing all prereqs etc before matriculation?

This is NOT a solution. The issue isnt if s college will give course credit for AP. It is that medical schools will NOT ACCEPT any prereq course credit that was earned by AP.

But the OP has already discussed the 2 solutions
1) taking advanced chem course in place if AP earned credit
2) take an actual CC class (NOT online)
3) request waivier

The med school can force you to defer if you do not fill prereqs. Additionally, though extremely unlikely, they could rescind your acceptance and you would have recourse.

And if you wonder why schools are so strict on this, it has little to do with you but rather how the school gets accredited/reaccredited. the school has been accredited including its admissions policy, process and applicant reqiurements. It gets reaccredited based mostly on adhering to thesw approved policies. Thus it makes students follow them

Only 695 days until the next election....and your point is what? That Trump will win again. Democrats will continue to prioritize illegal immigrants over our own homeless citizens including veterans and middle class. Yes, gonnif, Trump Derangement Syndrome is real.

My point for the purpose how prereqs and AP work for the thread here were made in the content of my previous posts. Anything else is simply a statement of facts

Typically those who count down are looking forward to something, most likely that you are hoping Trump doesn't get re-elected. There is an agenda behind that statement.

Only 695 days until the next election....and your point is what? That Trump will win again. Democrats will continue to prioritize illegal immigrants over our own homeless citizens including veterans and middle class. Yes, gonnif, Trump Derangement Syndrome is real.
Ummm... u having a bad day? o_O
Seriously though brah, this is the wrong forum to discuss your drama. Maybe start your own thread?

OP, just call the school and do whatever they want you to do.
And congrats :highfive::soexcited:

Ummm... u having a bad day? o_O
Seriously though brah, this is the wrong forum to discuss your drama. Maybe start your own thread?

OP, just call the school and do whatever they want you to do.
And congrats :highfive::soexcited:

If they've accepted you, why call the school. Don't ask question. You're in. Time to party.

I'm having a great day.....btw.

Typically those who count down are looking forward to something, most likely that you are hoping Trump doesn't get re-elected. There is an agenda behind that statement.
trolldar.gif~c200

Orangepants troll spotted! And reported. For the rest of you:
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Okay I messed up.
You are over-reacting, this is a non-issue. If you must, call the school but wait until after everyone's locked in to one school each (whatever that date is these days). At worst you're going to take a semester of gen chem at the cheapest and easiest place you can find either in the spring or the summer. Relax. And congratulations.

How would they not know? OP would still have to submit the transcript from the CC if that was the route they took. (My school literally marked on my transcript where my transfer credits came from, so, you’d have an issue not submitting that transcript..)

To answer this, my CC doesn't write whether the class was claimed via AP or not. Even if you submitted the CC transcript, it wouldn't be marked anywhere. This is personal experience and may not apply everywhere. I acknowledged pretty early it is a sketchy solution, but it isn't terribly difficult. Gonniff makes a fair point that it could bite you later.

However, I'm really not seeing the downside of taking an extension course. For the people seemingly unfamiliar with extension courses, they are IN RESIDENCE and would count for this person as a pre-req at their medical school. I know that my undergrad required enrollment for the Spring semester back in October for non-degree seeking students, December 1st for returning students. If I didn't have a pre-req and only found out now, I could not register for standard classes and would look to enroll in an extension course. I took biochem this way, it factors into my GPA and is listed as any other semester course. They typically cost $400-800, which is significantly cheaper than tuition for one course at my institution, as you avoid many fees (e.g. the gym).

The obviously correct answer is to just call the school. If you need the course and have any trouble registering for the regular semester, consider extension programs. They're legit.

Last edited:
To answer this, my CC doesn't write whether the class was claimed via AP or not. Even if you submitted the CC transcript, it wouldn't be marked anywhere. This is personal experience and may not apply everywhere. I acknowledged pretty early it is a sketchy solution, but it isn't terribly difficult. Gonniff makes a fair point that it could bite you later.

However, I'm really not seeing the downside of taking an extension course. For the people seemingly unfamiliar with extension courses, they are IN RESIDENCE and would count for this person as a pre-req at their medical school. I know that my undergrad required enrollment for the Spring semester back in October for non-degree seeking students, December 1st for returning students. If I didn't have a pre-req and only found out now, I could not register for standard classes and would look to enroll in an extension course. I took biochem this way, it factors into my GPA and is listed as any other semester course. They typically cost $400-800, which is significantly cheaper than tuition for one course at my institution, as you avoid many fees (e.g. the gym).

The obviously correct answer is to just call the school. If you need the course and have any trouble registering for the regular semester, consider extension programs. They're legit.

Ahh, I see. Well, my cc did mark things as AP, so youre right that it isnt universal.

I think this is the OP with a different user name.
Nope, different guy, probably the orangepants troll, the way he went after gonnif. I do love the smacking sound the Banhammer makes...kudos the mods for their hard work.

We're in the middle of what I perceive as SDN's second troll season (there are three of them). Waiting to hear from schools seems to push people over the edge.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Nope, different guy, probably the orangepants troll, the way he went after gonnif. I do love the smacking sound the Banhammer makes...kudos the mods for their hard work.

We're in the middle of what I perceive as SDN's second troll season (there are three of them). Waiting to hear from schools seems to push people over the edge.

I thought the full moon did that.

I think this is the OP with a different user name.
I had to go back and re-read the entire thread to figure out how his comment fit into anything being discussed :lol::lol::lol:

Some people have too much time on their hands. :uhno:

@Goro aka gorotard That's because it's one of SDN's more infamous trolls, attempting a comeback. Reported.

Aww...shucks....you made me blush....never been called "infamous"

I must decline the compliment because whom ever you are referring to is most certainly not me. You are mistaken.

Troll season....wow....you are deranged. You should seek help for that and trump derangement syndrome....yeah....it is a real thing

@atomi

You must be an incredible pathetic excuse of a physician or future physician.

You make so many assumptions about my finances and they are all false. 850...that is fair....it was a typo....my score was 776 last night on my free annual check. I have ZERO credit card debt and never have and never will. I don't like starbucks, I can make better coffee at home. In fact, the city I'm doing residency doesn't even have an overpriced coffee place.

Only a deranged lunatic like you could turn a sincere (and real) situation into a discussion about paying taxes on ebay. Check yourself into the luny bin...lol

Accept first and then make sure meets the requirements....that is real logical.
Schools do not check for prereq fulfillment as part of the admissions process. These are check after acceptance during pre-matriculation