IM shelf exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anradam

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:
I screwed up 5 questions on the NBME that I shouldn't have for the MSIII year. The rest of the test went ok but not great. I am trying to figure what raw mark I need in order to get 70 on the NBME scaled score. Can anybody help?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding of the test was that each question was worth one point and the test was out of a hundred. Could be mistaken though. My school tends to curve the grading of the test according to averages from our class too.

I too am a CC-III, who took the IM shelf a while back. I didnt even get to the last five questions (as these were half a page long and had answer choices A-U, I choose T for one never in my life did I expect to fill that in on a standerdized test). Anyhow I thought I was going to do miserable but actually ended up doing quite well, so you too should be fine if you fealt the least little bit confident about the other questions. By the way superman does a good score on the shelf help with anything other than the rotation grade i.e. do residency programs see this score?

Members don't see this ad :)
My shelf exam scores were included in my Dean's letter. I do not know if this is common to my school or just for me.

My school includes the shelf exam scores in the dean's letter only if it is >80th percentile. So some people might have a few of their scores listed but not the others that they didn't do well on.

Originally posted by 1996
My school includes the shelf exam scores in the dean's letter only if it is >80th percentile. So some people might have a few of their scores listed but not the others that they didn't do well on.

I dont think my dean's letter list those scores specifically. But my IM clerkship director mentioned "did extremely well on the final exam" on my comment.

I believe my school does the same thing. However I cant decide wether that is a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose it would be good if you blew the test but bad if you got a 79 percentile wich is still very respectible.

Hi guys:
I ended up getting 80 and am quite relieved. JMatt, thanks for reassuring words.

Adam