1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

I'm sick of talking about medicine..how bout them Sox? (red, that is)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KeithKow, Jul 27, 2000.

1. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

just thought i'd switch things up a bit...lets talk some baseball, or anything really. so how bout them red sox? i'm a diehard fan from boston and can't live without visiting fenway a few times over the summer, excited about going next week. not too happy with our so-so performances though. and how bout them white sox? where the hell did they come from? the cubs are my national league team, so i'm crying about them too.
    and, um, yeah i'm really going nowhere with this but who cares, i needed to get away from all this med school crap, its stressing me out already and i'm on summer break, for God's sake!
    keith

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Medication

Medication Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

It's all about the white sox this year ,kid... they're hot and all, but i don't see them getting deep into the playoffs 'cause of their youth. My 2 cents...

(P.S.- the cubs have been hot lately, they're still a longshot, but they could make a push for that wildcard spot.)

4. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

i don't know man...although i'm no white sox fan, i can't help but think they'll get to the series. they've got so much offense. but i see what you're saying, you need experience and composure under the pressure of the playoffs. and then, if my red sox get in, can they handle us? we took 2 out of 3 last weekend. but our lineup is so unstable, and we're not picking up any players for the run, which is ridiculous. our biggest trade is going to be for rico brogna, not exactly a move that'll give us a leg up on everyone all of a sudden. the only way we make it, i'm afraid, is to win the AL east, and its damn close. my dream: red sox and cubs in the series (i'm cheering for the sox, of course).
    so are you from south chicago, being a sox fan and all?

5. Listen, gentlemen; permit me to shed some light on the situation:

(1) The Red Sox are right where they belong in the AL-East rankings: behind the Yankees.

(2) Here's your 2000 World Series matchup: NY-Yankees vs. NY-Mets. (Yanks in 6).

The White Sox, you say? *snort* Well... I just don't know what to say about them.

6. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

yankees fan...do i really need to say anything in response, or does it say enough that this person is a yankees fan, and thus an idiot?

yankees suck.

7. whitesoxfan2000

whitesoxfan2000 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm a die hard white sox fan and I hope they go all the way this year. But I don't think they will unless they make some changes in their pitching staff. James Baldwin is not a number one starter. The Sox bullpen is shaky. But their offense is unstoppable.

8. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

pedro blanked you guys last sunday..we would have gotten our asses kicked if he wasn't playing. but indeed, incredible hitting over there on the south side. see, we kind of have the opposite: no bats, decent pitching (really right now the only reliable pitcher we have is pedro). very shaky situation in boston.

9. MTY

MTY

wow, i see many east coast baseball fans here. how about some west coast teams here!! i'm a big s.f. giants fan. as far as i know, they are not making any trade by the end of this week. (the trade deadline) i assume owner cohen doesn't want to spend extra money on purchasing more players. hopefully, the new pac bell park can bring up the payroll.
    again, congrat to giants for catching up the diamonbacks and currently at 1st place.

any diamonbacks or dodgers fans here?

10. Methuselah

Methuselah Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Keithkow, being as I was raised in Mass., I want to go on record: NO NEW FENWAY! As for how the boys are doing...we need to find a way to clone Pedro & Nomar, and we'll have a shot!

11. Smile

Smile Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The key to any winning team is pitching and defense and that is no secret. You can have all the offense in the world but w/o strong starting and relief pitching you are going to go nowhere in a short postseason series. The Indians in 95 and 99 had the strongest offense baseball has seen in years but their pitching failed them. Why have the Braves and Yankees been so dominant in their leagues for so long? Because they built their teams around pitching and defense.

As for the Red Sox, you only have one pitcher. Pedro can't pitch in every game in the playoffs. Another problem this year is you aren't scoring any runs. You desperately need a big bat, and while Rico Brogna may be on your team by next week, he is not your answer.

As much as I hate the Yankees, they are once again going to represent the AL in the World Series. Sorry Sox (both teams) fans!

12. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    World Series:

Red Sox vs Mets

My two favorite teams.

At least until the Phillies win the pennant.

------------------
    Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
    [email protected]
    University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
    "D.O. Wannabe"

13. Nanook

Nanook Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

First, whoever thinks the Mets are making it to the series have obviously not seen them play the Braves! They have a mental block on the beating them, just as the Braves do on the Yanks.

Second, we are sick of seeing the Yanks. They are a *bought* and *paid for* team. They start losing some games, so what do they do? Go out and buy more players, as if they didn't already have the highest payroll in baseball! They should have just sucked it up and tried to win on their own, even though it might take some effort. I guess it was the Yanks' only answer to getting spanked by the White Sox.

Third, I have just this to say: GO SOX! (of either color!) No new Fenway!!

And *always* root for the underdog!

14. Rock

Rock Member
    10+ Year Member

YOU GUYS ARE KIDDING RIGHT?? COME ON, ADMIT IT YOU KNOW THAT THE TORONTO BLUE JAYS ARE GOING TO WIN IT ALL....TO STATE THE OBVIOUS:..

1) DAVID WELLS (DO I HAVE TO SAY ANYMORE)
    2) 5 BATTERS HITTING MORE THAN 20 HOME-RUNS
    3) TERRIFIC MANGEMENT

ETC....

YES EVERYBODY, THIS YEAR THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS ARE GOING TO BE :

'THE TORONTOOOOOOOOOOO BLUE JAYSSS'

15. whitesoxfan2000

whitesoxfan2000 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

MTY, how is that new ball park in san francisco?

16. psi1467

psi1467 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The White Sox, are playing well, but as said before not enough pitching. Nor enough defense.
    The Blue Jays are pretty tough also, and I'm a huge Wells fan. But after that, there pitching is too young and inconsistent.

17. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm sorry, but the blue jays may have fine individual stats, but what are the team stats? they can't pull away from the red sox or the yankees. all 3 teams seem pretty much in the same situation right now. its so damn close...plus, canadians can't play baseball, everyone knows that (just kidding).
    what scares me is the yanks pick up of danny neagle, could be the difference maker.
    i hate the yankees so much, do you realize that everyone is bored with them except for those in new york who think they are just the coolest? yankees can bite me.

red sox just picked up rolando arrojo and some others today in a 7 player trade with the rockies. i don't know much about him, i'm hoping his stats are just a result of hitter-friendly coors field, cause wasn't he an all-star not long ago? if anyone knows something about arrojo, let me know.

and i agree, i love fenway and will definately be crying when it goes. i don't know if you heard but as of teusday the new one is a done deal, its going to be built. but to be honest, they really have the best plan for this..the new park is going to be gorgeous, just an updated version of the same park. i'll put a link to the plans if anyone wants it. going to fenway on friday before i go to school on sunday, will be the last time this season. i'm just going to take in every moment i'm in there and appreciate them before it goes..alot of memories, and i'm only 20!

and yeah, for the giants fan, hows the new ballpark? it looks pissah on tv, i'd love to take in a game there.

18. Medication

Medication Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I see toronto making the AL championship series, either vs. the Yanks or the Mariners. Despite this, I kinda have a feeling that the D-Back's or the Cards are gonna take it all the way, especially since the D-Back's just got Schilling. Imagine a 5-game series in which Schilling and the "Unit" start four games...Damn..

19. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    despite the talent that the red sox have, they couldn't help being swept by- guess who- the MINNESOTA TWINS earlier this week. guess we gotta be proud of something! you're next, yankees.

sorry, i'm still living in '91. it's easy to do when 3/4 of your roster contains names you never heard of a year ago.

20. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

you are correct sir, the twins spanked us. and the talent here is definately getting thin, we need a few more nomars and pedros.
    and yes, the thought of the "unit" (that nickname is so funny) and schilling on the same rotation is scary.
    just a thought: is there anyone uglier than randy johnson?

21. s-pish

s-pish Member
    10+ Year Member

Anyone want to discuss NFL or should that start another thread? It's not too early discuss predictions. (Dallas is coming back strong this year, by the way)

I can't talk about baseball because the Texas Rangers are doing extremely poorly, and even if they did get into the post season (not very likely at all), they would just face the yankees (god, i hate new york) and will be swept by them.

Notre Dame football probably won't do well either.

I wish I had one sports team that has done well recently besides the Dallas Stars.

sorry to change the topic from baseball.

22. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    s-pish, the cowboys will continue to struggle as long as they keep having the vikings in their schedule. how could they be coming back strong? do they have a lot of young talent? i hope so, because they are an aging team fading quickly. no more michael irvin- i guess the NFL is short one felon. hopefully the dallas secondary has studied some tape over the off-season so that they can think of SOMETHING to stop minnesota's receivers.

and yes, the rangers are struggling, i think the twins are even better than them. i will give you the stars, even though y'all stole them from minnesota.

notre dame football- it's gonna be ugly. gonna have to hit those tailgaters early this year so we can enjoy the games a little. 0-4, 0-5, who knows how bad it could get! can't wait!

23. s-pish

s-pish Member
    10+ Year Member

mvalento-
    You forget that the cowboys now have Joey Galloway plus the "Rocket" Ismail and one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the league. Who's going to stop them?

Granted, the defense will be hurting since Deion left. Besides, who do the Vikings have as QB? Randy Moss and Chris Carter are not going to be very useful without a QB to throw to them.

24. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

ugh...notre dame alas has a rough schedule ahead of them, and i am in pain already. all i have to say is nebraska...ouch.
    mvalento, do you go to ND? well, if you do, so do i...how bout them apples. and how bout fr. walter? i really hope they can make a bowl game for senior year, i'm just looking for one of those miracle seasons...
    dallas still sucks by the way, and the stars piss me off...how can you take a team from MINNESOTA?!? thats the biggest hockey state we have. i am very happy they are getting a team this year...despite the fact they are called the "wild".
    people here in boston seem to think the patriots are going to be ok this year, but really i think its going to be ugly. our entire offensive line is destroyed, our most experienced player on the line is 2nd year Damien Woody. i'm scared.
    so, it looks like all losers for me too...it sucks, i never win. the red sox are my only chance. can you guys imagine being losers since 1918? it sucks...
    hopefully the fighting irish and arnaz battle will pull through for me.

25. s-pish

s-pish Member
    10+ Year Member

KeithKow-
    another reason why you probably hate the Dallas Stars is because they beat Colorado in the Western Finals and Bourque wasn't able to get a chance to win the Cup. Boo hoo, I'm crying on the inside.

Arnaz Battle better learn to throw the ball or we won't be able to beat Rutgers (now that would really be embarrassing).

26. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    keithkow- yep, i go to notre dame. so does s-pish, if you can't tell. he's actually one of my roommates and is still bitter that the vikings manage to spank dallas every year. like clockwork, pishko- i hope we play you guys a few times this year to pad our schedule a little. by the way, it does not matter that deion is out, our receivers seemed to have little trouble with him last year. dallas' quarterback may be accurate but he is also 45 years old. or getting there.

another voice of reason on my side for the stars leaving minnesota, probably the biggest hockey state, except for massachusetts, maybe. keithkow, one of our roommates is also from your area so we know how it goes with you pats fans! kidding. anyway, ND also has to be concerned with michigan state, texas A&M, purdue...the list goes on and on. all this AND doherty leaves. what an offseason!

as far as father walter is concerned, he is probably still laughing from the list of schools i sent to him, esp. stanford, which he told me would be 'impossible' to get into when i spoke to him for the first (and last) time.

27. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

i still haven't sent crap to walter because i'm still waiting on my goddamn transmittal notification. i am a victim of AMCAS ineptitude, they delayed my applicaiton for 2 weeks because of supposed payment problems that weren't there...dammit.
    he's sure to laugh when i let him know i applied to harvard though! even though i know its almost impossible, its still in-state for me so i said what the hell, i'll never know if i don't try.
    pish, 2 words: MARTIN BRODEUR. now shut up about the stars.
    and don't worry about Ray, he'll get his. yeah, that did upset me...in boston you would have thought the Avalanche was our home team during the playoffs because we love Ray so much. actually, looking at the bruins i wish they really were...
    f doherty, he's an ass. brey will do just fine. i think we were just caught in an illusion with him, the players really did all the work, we were just excited to see someone else besides MacLeod. i just hope the excitement carries over from last year.
    well, its comforting to know that there are other ND men out there.
    later.

28. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

oh God...i just thought about that Rutgers comment..man would that suck.

29. s-pish

s-pish Member
    10+ Year Member

KeithKow - sorry to hear about the delay in your TN form. it will probably come pretty soon. I just sent mine to fr. walter today, and he will also get a good laugh when he sees duke on my form. From the looks of it, fr. walter will probably be laughing all summer when sees what schools ND students are applying to.

I roomed with same guy from Mass. that mvalento was mentioning, and I remember a lot of furniture was broken last year when the red sox lost in the playoffs.

mvalento-I just looked up the cowboys' schedule, and they play minnesota on thanksgiving. that will be fun.

30. MTY

MTY

the new ball park is great. so far i havent' heard any complaints about it. most of the right field home run ball flew to the ocean, then you see some people would train their dogs to catch those balls in the water.

even ferries bring passengers to the nearby dock to see the game. it's awesome.

so far, all the tickets are sold out, it's pretty hard to get a ticket unless you are in for the 500 daily lotto tickets.

31. Medication

Medication Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Responding to an earlier rhetorical question,
    as far as the diamond goes, i concur,there is simply no one quite so ugly as randy johnson (hell, it might contribute to his dominance). In sports overall, however, the ugliest athlete by FAR (IMHO) is Sam Casell (point guard) hand down...no contest..

32. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

s-pish...tell me about it, my friend lived next door to me and is from NY, a diehard yankee fan. there was so much trash talking that it consumed our whole hallway. many notes were left on white boards, and screen savers were changed. we watched the games together in our collective social room and would just yell the whole time, to our dormmates' amusement. and yes, i did break a chair when we lost. we're intense, what can i say?
    i remember when we beat cleveland to advance, it was a wednesday night before a sunny boyd physiology test. i could barely study i was so excited. speaking of sunny, i hate that troll.

as far as sam cassell, jeez i really don't know what he looks like...but uglier than johnson? man this guy must be hideous! i'll look up a picture.
    i definately think, though, that the unit's ugliness has to scare batters so they screw up. its part of his game.

33. psi1467

psi1467 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

How about old-schoolers like Zane Smith, or Willie McGee. They were some pretty ugly ballplayers.

34. Methuselah

Methuselah Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Man, did it tick me off when the Stars beat the Avs for the second year in a row! I thought for sure it was Ray's year. One consolation is that the Devil's spanked yon Texans in a dandy of a series. As for the Pat's, (I used to pahk cahs for the games in Foxboro) I concur, they will disappoint again this year (crappy management.) People here in Denver think the Bronco's have a shot, with Terrell Davis back in the saddle, but that depends on whether Griese can live up to his name!

35. mj

mj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You people are freakin junkies. You can't even talk baseball without medicine creeping in, can you? Shame, shame. Get your priorities straight [​IMG]

Go Cards, Go Rams. Enough said.

[This message has been edited by mj (edited 07-30-2000).]

36. 1918

1918 Member
    10+ Year Member

mj -- If you were a BoSOx fan, you would find a reason to change the subject too.

37. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

good call 1918. your name is a reminder of our perennial (sp?) failure. i'm still reeling from those last two games against the A's....
    did you guys see the blue jays pitcher get thrown out after he threw inside to Alex Rodriquez? the dude hit A-rod the game before and it was supposedly intentional, then yesterday he pitched real close to him (didn't hit him) but got immediately ejected. whatcha think about that?

38. jlinn01

jlinn01 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow Domers keithkow, mvalento, s-pish-

While I too agree that the outlook is bleak for our fighting irish football team, i think mike brey's going to get it done on the hoops front. And as far as the vikings and the cowboys go, you guys can forget it: Green Bay returns to glory this year.

39. s-pish

s-pish Member
    10+ Year Member

KeithKow-
    no, I didn't see the Toronto/Mariner game that you mentioned. I read about it on the espn website, and I think that's crap that the pitcher got ejected for just pitching inside. of course, I didn't see the pitch, but still, the umpires should just let the players play.

By the way, a couple of mine and mvalento's buddies are also headed back next week for RA training. I wish I could head back early as well so I could just hang out without worrying about work.

Texas Rangers just acquired Ricky Ledee from Cleveland, and I'm waiting to see how big of a mistake that turns out to be.

I shouldn't be talking about the cowboys anymore until the season starts: they just got killed by Pittsburgh last night, 38-10. Our corners couldn't even cover Malcolm Johnson for cryin' out loud. I also noticed that Amos Zeroue (however you spell it) also plays for Pitt. I still remember him running all over ND two years ago.

jlinn01- I hate the packers. probably mvalento hates them more than me (being form Minnesota and all), but I still hate them. i don't understand how people can cheer for green bay.

Another thing that's crap is the way the redskins are trying to buy a championship. reminders me of the yankees. steinbrenner probably gave the redskin's owner some tips.

i'm done complaining, for now.

[This message has been edited by s-pish (edited 07-31-2000).]

40. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

s-pish, you are very angry. does this stem back to childhood trauma?
    yeah the redskins are trying to buy a championship, but who doesn't? and yeah it is a little more ridiculous than most, but still...the yankees are the yankees, they are the most evil entity in the world.
    i don't hate the packers, not even after they kicked the pats' ass in the super bowl. i went to the game and all the fans were really fun and actually nice to us opposing fans, so i like them.
    you know, i'm not going to be that down on the ND football team anymore. we could actually do it, who the hell knows? as for mike brey, i definately think we'll still get it done with him without skipping a beat. as i said before, what happened last year was accomplished by the players, the only thing doherty did was get us to worship him and get us excited about the program. i don't think the excitement will die, only intensify after all this crap. can't wait for b-ball season to start, especially without as hectic and stressful a schedule as we've had the last 2 years.
    by the way, what dorms are all the ND people from? i'm from sorin.

41. jlinn01

jlinn01 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Irish Fans-

I'm from keough, but this summer i'm down here living a block away from bridget's in the old ultimate house.

s-pish, i respect your dislike for the packers, because i hate the cowboys as much as i hate the bears. it's ok to hate us, as long as you're not an astros fan or something ridiculous like that. i love the brew crew, and in their futility i'm consoled by the fact that houston is in the NL Central cellar. jose lima's given up more home runs than anyone on that team has hit.

one more question-do any of you like the cubs (please say no)

42. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

cubs = red sox of the national league.
    so i have to like them. they are definately my favorie national league team.

43. Socceroo4ever

Socceroo4ever Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Eeeek! [​IMG] Hope I'm not the only soccer fan here... what about the UNC ladies? Better yet, how's about some REAL football from England, mates!

[This message has been edited by Socceroo4ever (edited 07-31-2000).]

44. jlinn01

jlinn01 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

if women's soccer is what you want, again, go Irish

keithkow-sorry you feel that way about the cubs. my problem is that especially at a place like notre dame, every idiot and his brother has to be a cubs fan. ironically, 90% of them couldn't name anyone on the team besides sosa and grace. that is why i must hate them. partly because milwaukeans hate everything about IL, partly because everyone else likes them simply because they play at wrigley field, and it's trendy to be their fans. why don't people just go to cubs games wearing shirts that say abercrombie and fitch and those stupid hats.

i think i'm done now.

45. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

i know what you mean...i feel the same way alot. i see these people and definately get annoyed by them. i was with some people from N. Illinois and was talking about baseball, and this was during the all-star weekend. they are all braggin about the cubs and how cool they are and trying to say wrigley was better than fenway (that was the basis of the argument). it got down to who is a real fan of their team. so i asked them if they knew who their catcher was...their freaking ALL STAR catcher. and they didn't know, i had to tell them about Girardi. it was annoying. especially when they think they are such big fans, i don't care if you don't know but don't say you are their biggest fan if you aren't. plus they also thought wrigley was the oldest park, i think everyone in chicago thinks they have the biggest this and oldest that. they couldn't take that it is actually second oldest to fenway. but they actually cared. i tell you the city has penis envy...they can't take having the second biggest building, so now they are building an even bigger one...pathetic.
    but i still love the place, don't get me wrong.

46. s-pish

s-pish Member
    10+ Year Member

I still think that yankee fans are the most annoying fans of all of sports. They think that the Yanks are God's gift to the sports world and we should all knee down and kiss the grass in Yankee Stadium. Of course, my anger just stems from the fact that the TX Rangers were constantly spanked by them three times in the post season.

I should really start watching the ND women's soccer team so I won't be so depressed about football.

Anyway, for you ND people who were wondering, me and mvalento live in zahm hall, aka, the BEST DORM ON CAMPUS. ole, ole, ole ...

Great. I just opened the door for you guys to rip into us.

47. Socceroo4ever

10+ Year Member

Can't say I've seen any ND soccer... I'm guessing UNC doesn't play ND much. And as for baseball? I live in an area that thinks... dreams... breathes baseball. Yet we don't even have a NL or AL team here! Perhaps the Yank fans in NY are the most die-hard Yank fans, and perhaps nationally the Cubs fans are just plain clueless; but I know one thing for sure. Anyone born here has "Atlanta Braves" tattoed in their brains, wears Atlanta caps throughout their lives, and owns every single useless bit of Braves fan paraphernalia! How's that for ingrained redneck goofiness? [​IMG]

48. mvalento

mvalento Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    hey, a soccer fan! finally. socceroo4ever, i am a former soccer player (well i guess i still play intramurals, but i hung up my cleats after high school) and i am constantly barraged at ND by football this and baseball that. don't get me wrong, i enjoy ND football (it takes a little more effort these days) but i still harbor some of the competitve anti-football spirit from high school. as for baseball, it is enjoyable to watch my roommates become violent over their repsective rivalries (see s-pish), and of course i get stuck living with fans of the yankees, red sox, rangers, and indians. go twins? nah. go minnesota thunder (A-league soccer)!

by the way ND people, i will not be suprised if abercrombie replaces adidas as our official sponsor. guess i'm just not in style these days.

49. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

UNC doesn't play ND? are you really a UNC women's soccer fan? can you remember who you BARELY beat in the national championship last year, and the final four the year before? none other than ND!! we're right up there with the tarheels. speaking of tarheels, i hate them..you stole our basketball coach.
    as for zahm...dude, you guys just bring it on with comments like that. how are the sheep doing there, by the way? just kidding, i don't really give a crap. i'm from sorin, we really don't have any rivalries with anyone.

50. Socceroo4ever

10+ Year Member

Consider me out of the loop! I've not watched a UNC soccer game in more than a year and a half, but congrats on ND fighting it out for the champs (but losing anyway, so sad). Thing is... I generally don't give a flip for american soccer anyway. Hard to compare it with any other international soccer leagues. I'm not about to start up a debate on why the americans just aren't that great in soccer, though! And btw... I'd actually like to take that back: US Women's National absolutely rules! Now why can't us boys play like that? [​IMG]

Me, I still haven't hung up my boots, but I really don't get to play a decent game around here anymore. This is baseball country: soccer is a joke to most of the fellas around here.

51. KeithKow

KeithKow Member
    10+ Year Member

our men aren't as good because its a relatively new sport for us americans when compared to all the european countries. in europe, they are as bred to play soccer as we are to play, say, baseball. think about us in baseball (and basketball and football for that matter, which are american sports): we absolutely kick the crap out of anyone else because we are raised with the game (for baseball, the same goes for latin countries, where people are also raised to play the game...thus Pedro Martinez, "El Duro", my savior!). same situation with europeans and soccer.
    our women are so good at soccer, however, because girls are way more encouraged to play in the US than anywhere else. women's sports are not taken nearly as seriously as they are here. europeans have different values than us. so thats why our women are so much better, they start playing at a younger age and are taken more seriously.
    well, thats my theory anyways...not that anyone asked for it really i just think its interesting. i should have majored in sociology...dammit.

[This message has been edited by KeithKow (edited 08-02-2000).]