I'm so stupid..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MidwestLovin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyways, I need to change my ways for the remainder of the year and my undergraduate life. Anyone know any great resources to become a better student that worked for them? Books, websites, etc? My undergrad didn't help me out too much besides general tips and sending me to a psychologist.

Lots of people are average students then become great students. I think, although I did very well in school all my life, I never had to actually work hard for anything. Is it impossible for me to become a good student this late in the game? I've been trying for two years now?

Members don't see this ad.

Kahn Academy will save your life

Reactions: 2 users
Anyways, I need to change my ways for the remainder of the year and my undergraduate life. Anyone know any great resources to become a better student that worked for them? Books, websites, etc? My undergrad didn't help me out too much besides general tips and sending me to a psychologist.

Lots of people are average students then become great students. I think, although I did very well in school all my life, I never had to actually work hard for anything. Is it impossible for me to become a good student this late in the game? I've been trying for two years now?
It's definitely possible to become a good student this late in the game although the work isn't going to do itself. Come up with a plan and get serious about your goals. Calling yourself "stupid" does nothing to help you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anki and OneNote. There's a billion and one guides on how to use them. They're awfully useful. Worked for me.

I worked retail and other awful jobs for a few years. I hated struggling to get by, working some godawful meaningless, tedious position for 30+ hours a week, never having enough money to enjoy myself or even eat well, and living with a roommate in a forsaken ghetto on the edge of the bad part of the city. When you see how awful life can be if you fail, success is no longer an option- it is a necessity.

I don't know how you can apply this to your situation- maybe try living on your own off of only the money you can work for over the summer, then imagine that that is the fate that awaits you every single day for the rest of your life if you don't straighten up your act.

Reactions: 9 users

What's the problem exactly?
lack of discipline?
emotional problems?
family a mess?
crazy ex?
wrong career path?

I worked retail and other awful jobs for a few years. I hated struggling to get by, working some godawful meaningless, tedious position for 30+ hours a week, never having enough money to enjoy myself or even eat well, and living with a roommate in a forsaken ghetto on the edge of the bad part of the city. When you see how awful life can be if you fail, success is no longer an option- it is a necessity.

I don't know how you can apply this to your situation- maybe try living on your own off of only the money you can work for over the summer, then imagine that that is the fate that awaits you every single day for the rest of your life if you don't straighten up your act.
A good idea. I've had a comfy life thanks to parents who had to work hard their whole lives.

It's definitely possible to become a good student this late in the game although the work isn't going to do itself. Come up with a plan and get serious about your goals. Calling yourself "stupid" does nothing to help you.
My actions were stupid, I'm not stupid

f212fd68aeca509fcdbbb675e67ce9276b0d9fa965fa8bb5865c167eccb8b1d9.jpg

the biggest thing you can do is prioritize. School comes first. Ramp up your tolerance for not doing fun things and studying. There is always some time to do some fun things but basically you are just studying. Then the next thing is..work ahead...look at the syllabus and pre-read or work on the material before you even get to lecture; this will make the lecture a "review" and you won't fall behind.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, first of all, YES, you absolutely can. You are clearly smart enough to recognize your issues and are motivated enough to make this post/ ask you school for advice.

The thing about college is that it is not about just knowing what the teacher says, it is about being able to handle and tricks the prof might throw at you. So, what you need to do is question yourself. For example, when the prof says that primary carbocations are stabilized by alkyl groups, you need to ask yourself:

1) why?
2) what if you have more alkyl groups?
3) what if you have a radical?
4) what if you have a carbanion?
5) if alkyl groups stabilize because they are electron donating, then does that mean that halogens destabilize?
6) or any other question that will provide you with a concrete understanding

This is the difference between HS and college. Know the in's and out's. Always doubt your knowledge on something.

And most importantly, be friggin determined. breaking bad habits is very very hard. You can only do it through strong determination. Expect pain. No pain no gain. It hurt at first but pays off in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
No offense man but I can't believe the title of this thread after all the stuff you've posted and the responses people gave you. It's like none of it is going to your head and you're just wasting time by complaining and not doing anything more.

Stop it. Listen to the people here or don't bother posting at all and wasting everyone's time. You're lazy, not stupid. But keep up the good work you're doing now and one day you'll eventually make it to stupid. Don't.

No offense man but I can't believe the title of this thread after all the stuff you've posted and the responses people gave you. It's like none of it is going to your head and you're just wasting time by complaining and not doing anything more.

Stop it. Listen to the people here or don't bother posting at all and wasting everyone's time. You're lazy, not stupid. But keep up the good work you're doing now and one day you'll eventually make it to stupid. Don't.
Agree 100%. Stop wasting posters' time.

When you start a thread with "I am so stupid" we know it will be a self pity fest.

When you start with a statement about something you can't change "innate intelligence"... You aren't asking for help/advise, you are asking for people to tell you that you aren't stupid and/or start a "woe me" thread.

I haven't looked at any old threads, I don't know if there were helpful responses, I apologize if there were.

When you start a thread with "I am so stupid" we know it will be a self pity fest.

When you start with a statement about something you can't change "innate intelligence"... You aren't asking for help/advise, you are asking for people to tell you that you aren't stupid and/or start a "woe me" thread.
I'm not stupid, my actions were. I just don't think I can do A level work here, maybe B+

I'm not stupid, my actions were. I just don't think I can do A level work here, maybe B+

Wait, you're starting this pity party for a B+ average?

That's still around a 3.3. Also, a B+ is literally 1-3 points off of an A-, which is considered a 3.7.

If you make A- grades for the rest of the year, which is right around where you say you can do, you'll have a 3.5, assuming that you take the same amount of hours. I second the advocating for Khan Academy. I enjoy it a lot, personally.

Chill out, get cranking when school starts again, and for the love of God, take down the blue balloons.

If it's lack of discipline then you should be fine, that is within your control.