1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

IM Specialties

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by scarne1, Feb 25, 2002.

  1. scarne1

    scarne1 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

    Oct 16, 2001
    Likes Received:
    I was hoping someone could answer this question for me. Are there various paths someone could take in IM to specialize. For example, to become a pulmonologist or a cardiologist etc. are there other paths to take than doing 3 yrs IM and then a fellowship? Are there combined programs or do you have to do fellowships? I have heard that many fellowships are research oriented for a portion of the fellowship. If someone has zero interest in research is there another route besides a fellowship that can be take to become a specialist?
  2. Voxel

    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Nov 5, 2001
    Likes Received:
    You have 2 options

    1) IM + Specialty in a Research Specialty residency program

    2) IM - 3 years, and then subspecialty fellowship 2-4 years.

    Other than this there is no other way that the internal medicine program director at my school knowns of. Hope this answers your question, even if it's not the one you wanted.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rtk

    rtk Member
    10+ Year Member

    Dec 28, 1998
    Likes Received:

    In order to sit for the sub-specialty boards, you first have to be board certified in Internal Medicine (pass the ABIM boards). Only way to be eligible to take the ABIM boards is residency (3 years) in internal medicine.

    Also, to start fellowship, you first must be board-eligible in Internal Medicine. Other countries (e.g.: GB, India) may allow direct fellowship training after medical school...

Share This Page