I'm starting to consider the HPSP, thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybe.a.dentist

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation, I'm applying this cycle and the only school in my state has an estimated cost of attendance over four years of ~$360,000. If I don't get in here my only other options are private schools or OOS public school tuition. There is no relatively cheap options for me.

As the application seasons wears on these numbers are starting to get very real, and very scary. I have begun to consider the military scholarships to pay this off. As a single guy with no family yet I'm not too scared of a military life style (for the short term that is).

If I am accepted to the military I will get...

- All my tuition and required expenses covered
- $20,000 signing bonus
- ~$25,000 per year while in school
- ~$80,000 per year while practicing (I believe, anyway, anyone have current numbers?)

I will owe the military...

- Four years of active duty service where ever they want me to go
- The availability to be deployed oversees
- Four years after active duty they can call on me (extremely unlikely to ever happen)

And since they pay the principle I wouldn't even have to worry about the interest either so its really worth a lot more than $360,000 (anybody know a good interest calculator to run this?).

When all is said and done using the numbers above and a very rough calculation on the interest on my educational expenses I would need about $220,000 per year for the first four years to equal the benefit I would gain from the military. While not impossible, truth be told, I'm really doubting I can make that. So, financially speaking, this is looking like a good option. I should add that when all is said and done I want to run a private practice so I don't know if its in my long term best interest to go military initially or not with this goal in mind.

All this said there's more to consider than just money, and I'd certainly like to hear all your views on other factors to consider. I've started talking to recruiters and of course they make the military sound amazing, but I'd love to get other opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

- $20,000 signing bonus

This is only if you're Army/Navy. Air Force does not offer a $20K signing bonus.

All this said there's more to consider than just money, and I'd certainly like to hear all your views on other factors to consider. I've started talking to recruiters and of course they make the military sound amazing, but I'd love to get other opinions.

Well, the Air Force selection board is meeting 10 days from today (Aug15), so it's too late to apply for them. If you have a 22AA or above, you should talk to your Navy recruiter since you are eligible for the early October board then.

This is only if you're Army/Navy. Air Force does not offer a $20K signing bonus.

Well, the Air Force selection board is meeting 10 days from today (Aug15), so it's too late to apply for them. If you have a 22AA or above, you should talk to your Navy recruiter since you are eligible for the early October board then.

That is true about the bonus not applying to the AF, I didn't realize they met so soon, but I was leaning Army and Navy anyway, (I have a brother in both of those branches).

Members don't see this ad :)
That is true about the bonus not applying to the AF

Yep they only have a dozen or so 4 yr scholarships- I've heard that this is because they enjoy a high retention rate among their dentists (higher job satisfaction). As a result, they don't need to offer this incentive.

but I was leaning Army and Navy anyway, (I have a brother in both of those branches).

Army/Navy are great options as well.

Financially speaking, the plan you proposed in your opening post will help you open your practice after your time in the military. If you enjoy the military, you can stay in as well. I'd say go for it.

I say go for it.
Get in contact with a recruiter ASAP.
Make sure they are on top of it. I am SOL for the AF because mine got switched around so much.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify (since my local recruiters don't deal much with dental), I am applying to dental schools now for 2017, do I need to do my HPSP applications now or next year (I'm trying for the 4 year scholarship)?

Last edited:
Just to clarify (since my local recruiters don't deal much with dental), I am applying to dental schools now for 2017, do I need to do my HPSP applications now or next year (I'm trying for the 4 year scholarship)?
Yes, now.
If your local recruiters don't deal with dental, they are likely enlisted recruiters. You need to find yourself a Medical Officer recruiter.

Make sure when you are doing your interviews (Navy) and writing your motivational statement (both), you do not highlight your financial interests.

Make sure when you are doing your interviews (Navy) and writing your motivational statement (both), you do not highlight your financial interests.
It's funny because my interviewers for HPSP (both Navy dental officers) were the ones who talked about how great the financial benefits of the scholarship are.

It's funny because my interviewers for HPSP (both Navy dental officers) were the ones who talked about how great the financial benefits of the scholarship are.

I had 3 interviews and one of the officers ONLY talked about the financial benefits. But my recruiter explicitly told me not to mention it. Seemed to work out

Here's my situation, I'm applying this cycle and the only school in my state has an estimated cost of attendance over four years of ~$360,000. If I don't get in here my only other options are private schools or OOS public school tuition. There is no relatively cheap options for me.

As the application seasons wears on these numbers are starting to get very real, and very scary. I have begun to consider the military scholarships to pay this off. As a single guy with no family yet I'm not too scared of a military life style (for the short term that is).

If I am accepted to the military I will get...

- All my tuition and required expenses covered
- $20,000 signing bonus
- ~$25,000 per year while in school
- ~$80,000 per year while practicing (I believe, anyway, anyone have current numbers?)

I will owe the military...

- Four years of active duty service where ever they want me to go
- The availability to be deployed oversees
- Four years after active duty they can call on me (extremely unlikely to ever happen)

And since they pay the principle I wouldn't even have to worry about the interest either so its really worth a lot more than $360,000 (anybody know a good interest calculator to run this?).

When all is said and done using the numbers above and a very rough calculation on the interest on my educational expenses I would need about $220,000 per year for the first four years to equal the benefit I would gain from the military. While not impossible, truth be told, I'm really doubting I can make that. So, financially speaking, this is looking like a good option. I should add that when all is said and done I want to run a private practice so I don't know if its in my long term best interest to go military initially or not with this goal in mind.

@Scumbag_Steve @Cold Front what are your thoughts for those of us vying for omfs and private practice?

@Scumbag_Steve @Cold Front what are your thoughts for those of us vying for omfs and private practice?
So I shadowed a retired Colonel who owns his own practice. Military payed for his school, he got paid very well as a resident in the military, he did his time and retired. Now he owns his own successful practice AND collects a retirement check from Uncle Sam.
I can't speak for everyone, but as far as he's concerned, he couldn't be happier.