I'm starting to like DO more and more....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerful_squib

Snoop dogg resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After going doing some research for both allo and osteo paths, I think Im starting to like DO. I was all about allo and nothing else, and take no offense, I thought DO was a pour substitute for an MD, although my premed advisor said that MDs and DOs are the same it's just the approach that is different.

After checking out this forum and doing a little googling as well as looking on the AACOM website I'm beginning to like DO more and more. I like the idea of treating the body as a whole and doing more prevention and awareness more than anything else.

I'm starting the whole application process next June but I am in the process of completing everything for my application, e.g LOR's, PS, and volunteering. I had intended on apply to 15 schools in total, 10 allo and 5 DO... but after reading this forum and really liking the idea of practicing as a DO that might change. Don't get me wrong, I still like allo schools, I am just now a little more accepting to the idea of being a DO.

Thanks SDN for opening my eyes!

Members don't see this ad.

Keep it up! Some people on this board will angerly try to convince you there is no difference between osteopathy and allopathy besides OMM. Osteopathy has some distinct principles. That's not to say one is better than the other. It's just that osteopathy is pretty neat, in my book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep it up! Some people on this board will angerly try to convince you there is no difference between osteopathy and allopathy besides OMM. Osteopathy has some distinct principles. That's not to say one is better than the other. It's just that osteopathy is pretty neat, in my book.

It is neat to learn some techniques, but I won't "angerly" try to convince you there is no difference. I'll just tell you, in reality there isn't a lot of difference between the two, schooling is near identical, and especially in the MAJORITY of practicing physicians, there is not any difference. (Yes I do have experience with both physicians having worked for both types, etc)

Once again, once DO's start realizing this, that the difference is not as large as WE make it out to be, the better off the entire profession will be. Good luck in medical school, it's a ride you'll never forget.

I agree with you in principle. However, I also want to say that the principles that define osteopathic medicine are not distinct and that's perfectly fine. What is distinct, I think, is that we state them overtly, commit to them, and have integrated them into our teachings. I fully support this particular distinctiveness. I'd like to think that I am one of those future DO's that continues to commit/recommit to those principles of sound patient care.

To me, medicine is medicine. It's the art and science of relieving suffering and assisting the sick and injured in becoming healthier, restoring a patient to health. There are a myriad of modalities, but the osteopathic and allopathic approaches both embrace a common biomedical, evidence-based foundation. You can point to a place in history where both were distinct and where neither were particularly evidence-based, but that's just what it is, though: history. That time has passed. I'm not saying there aren't differences. There clearly are. However, I think the differences are subtle. Regardless of that, I'm very happy I made the choice I made. The rest, only time can tell.

After checking out this forum and doing a little googling as well as looking on the AACOM website I'm beginning to like DO more and more.

It's a good place to start, but try to get more exposure to D.O.'s. You'll find that there are varying types of D.O. practices...some examples of D.O.'s that I've worked with or seen:

1. A D.O. in a pain management / rehab setting - incorporated OMM and multidisciplinary medicine including techniques such as therapeutic ultrasound and even D.C.'s (Chiropractors.)

2. A D.O. in internal medicine / primary care who prescribed an antiviral to treat my Bell's Palsy, instead of the Prednisone (Steroidal Anti-inflammatory) that my M.D. wanted to give me. (Both are effective, but the antiviral was to putatively address the underlying cause, rather than the inflammation itself.)

3. A D.O. who was a general surgeon in the hospital I worked for. A very well-respected surgeon, and most people were completely unaware that he's a D.O.

Those are just three examples that I've come across, but they illustrate differences in philosophy and scope of practice, and varying degrees of difference from M.D. practices.

I had intended on apply to 15 schools in total, 10 allo and 5 DO...

Depending on your statistics, you might want to apply more broadly than that. And don't limit yourself to a certain number - find schools that appeal to you, that you can see yourself attending (or are "willing to attend.") This may be 10 schools, this may be 30. Good luck applying, and feel free to bounce questions off us SDN'ers about particular schools/programs.

And take everything with a grain of salt.

It's osteopathic medicine, not osteopathy.

Both are correct terms. Let me help you:

"Osteopathic" is an adjective defining a type of medicine. "Osteopathy" defines the medicinal therapy. The difference here is a little like saying "race car" versus "Ferrari," except "race" is an improper verb.

Why do people fruitlessly attempt to correct grammar, spelling, etc. on a message board?

It's osteopathic medicine, not osteopathy.
Both are correct terms. Why do people fruitlessly attempt to correct grammar, spelling, etc. on a message board?

I don't think the idea was to correct grammar.
I think It'sElectric is trying to make a distinction between "Osteopathic Medicine" and the more archaic term Osteopathy, as still used in other countries. Practitioners of "Osteopathy" outside of the United States aren't "Complete Physicians." Australia, for example, requires only a bachelor's of clinical science and a Master's in osteopathy to be a practitioner, and the scope of practice is limited to OMM. Apparently, Great Britain was the same until 2005. Thus, the term "Osteopathic Medicine" is simply used as a distinction, or clarification, of the pratcie of D.O.'s.

Ultimately, though, this being the U.S., for the most part, I still use the terms interchangably. *Shrug.* Andrew Taylor Still coined the term "Osteopathy" and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Apparently you think the osteopathy is more than OMM.

You have been brainwashed by the system. You are a "holistic gevitzer" as I will now call this group henceforth.

But you are right...a premed.

Dont listen to us, those who have spent several years in DO schools. Some of us (ahem) actually doing an additional year focusing on Osteopathic Principles & Practice.

I would just love to hear the premed explanation of what is unique to osteopathy. Now remember, I read all the same books you did. ;)

I will be waiting...

There really isn't a difference, besides the obvious, OMM. I'm so tired of hearing about treating the whole patient, not the disease crap. I'm in my last week of my first year at DMU, and I have yet to really learn any "Osteaopathic principles" in any class, except OMM.

I don't think the idea was to correct grammar.
I think It'sElectric is trying to make a distinction between "Osteopathic Medicine" and the more archaic term Osteopathy, as still used in other countries. Practitioners of "Osteopathy" outside of the United States aren't "Complete Physicians." Australia, for example, requires only a bachelor's of clinical science and a Master's in osteopathy to be a practitioner, and the scope of practice is limited to OMM. Apparently, Great Britain was the same until 2005. Thus, the term "Osteopathic Medicine" is simply used as a distinction, or clarification, of the pratcie of D.O.'s.

Ultimately, though, this being the U.S., for the most part, I still use the terms interchangably. *Shrug.* Andrew Taylor Still coined the term "Osteopathy" and if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Exactly. Referring to osteopathy as archaic was spot on.

More people wishing to debate on a message board. Yawn. Please hold your breath.

Just trying to see what you base your opinion on. You think osteopathy is "neat" and is more than OMT, but you cant provide examples. Perhaps youre not a premed, but maybe youre one week from finishing your first year and you think you have it all figured out. You havent worn a white coat, even a short coat, for more than a standardized patient. You havent seen osteopathy applied to a real patient. You havent set foot in the hospital as a DO student.

Yet you think you have a greater understanding of how we as DOs are different.

But you wont share your reasons.

Sounds to me like you dont have anything to back that up.

Your lack of response isnt making me look foolish.

Youre just another young DO student know-it-all who has yet to see whats things are like beyond anatomy lab. Pathetic in your attempts to come across as knowledgable to premeds.

Neat. :rolleyes:

So...it's "allopathic medicine" and NOT "allopathy" and "natropathic medicine" NOT "natropathy"...give me a break.

I never made a single reference to either of the above listed items. They are irrelevant to what I'm talking about.

I was only referring to osteopathic medicine. There is a distinction in this day and age.