I'm still paranoid about "research"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gunfunit! I'm still paranoid about leaving the research portion of my AADSAS application blank.

As a matter of fact, I've already submitted my application.

I sure hope this @#(*$% lack of research BS on the application doesn't hurt my chances of admissions. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

AS long as long as the rest of your application is full. I had zero research as my priorities were elsewhere and time was limited. Only one school asked about it and I explainded with my schedule that it was not possible. I didn't apply to strong resaerch schools but was exepted to several I did apply to. Just be ready to have an answer to why you lack it, be it cluns, volunteering or just a difficult semester and you will be fine.

I don't think its a big deal.. but I guess that just depends on which schools you applied to. I left my research section completely blank also

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... that section was left blank for me too.

that section was probably the main reason i got into dental school :laugh:

Don't worry about it - my section was blank as well and I imagine that a lot of applicants have nothing to put down as well. While it certainly bodes well for you if you do have some research experience, a lack of it should not sink your chances. ;)

0 research hours, and I got accepted! Except for Pacific, who obviously thought my lack of research hours made me an unworthy applicant (joking!). Don't worry about it you'll be fine!

Mrxle3 said:
0 research hours, and I got accepted! Except for Pacific, who obviously thought my lack of research hours made me an unworthy applicant (joking!). Don't worry about it you'll be fine!
I got the impression from my pacific interview that research was extremely important. I had a bunch of research experiences w publications, and I got a big scholarship there. However, it's sort of ironic, because Pacific has really crappy research facilities. It's definitely not their focus. :confused:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I assume that having done some kind of research is a feather in your cap.

It may help you in the admissions process, but it doesn't hurt if you don't have anything. Well...assuming from what you guys have told me.

And as for UoP, if they really like "research" among their applicants, they're such hypocrits, as like you've said, they're more of a clinical dental school, not a research school. I'm applying to UoP, but if I don't get in, I couldn't give a rat's a$$. Three year program that's so f_cking expensive along with the expensive cost of living in the Bay Area.

Just thought I'd add in...

I was at a dinner after a talk given by a UOP admissions officer and I asked that person if my lack of research was going to hurt me and he almost laughed at the question. He said if I wanted to do research, it's available at UOP, but they don't hold it against anyone didn't do research cause their primary focus is turning out great clinicians and leaders (leadership he said was important)

Several weeks later another admissions officer from USC came and spoke and stressed that he felt if dentists didn't do more research that he feared the occupation would become non-scientific and leave the realm of true medicine...he does lots of research...and he seemed very concerned that more dental schools aren't opening at research institutions...so I'm guessing research at USC counts a bit more.

Harvard actually has a research requirement as part of their dental school training, and UCSF seems to stress research, meanwhile people from Arizona, Nova and a few other schools have told me not to worry. Every school is totally different about it.