IM subspecialty competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromaticscale

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought it would be interesting to see how the competitiveness of each field has changed.

Percent of applicants who matched to the specialty, listed in order of descending competitiveness:
1. Gastroenterology - 62.8%
2. Pulmonology/Critical Care - 69.5%
3. Rheumatology - 71.3%
4. Cardiovascular Disease - 72.8%
5. Hematology and Oncology - 77.4%
6. Allergy and Immunology - 83.9%
7. Endocrinology - 87.1%
8. Hospice and Palliative Medicine - 87.2%
9. Geriatrics (Internal Medicine) - 90.7%
10. Nephrology - 91.6%
11. Infectious Disease - 97.0%

Source: 2019 MSMP Match Results Statistics Report

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Rheum?

Lots of self selections.
I agree with this - rheum gets less competitive applicants than GI or cards. However, I would say it is significantly more competitive than it was 10 years ago. Salaries are up and lifestyle is unbeatable. Job market is also relatively robust. One can no longer just walk into a rheum spot these days, and will likely need to be an AMG or have some kind of research.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with this - rheum gets less competitive applicants than GI or cards. However, I would say it is significantly more competitive than it was 10 years ago. Salaries are up and lifestyle is unbeatable. Job market is also relatively robust. One can no longer just walk into a rheum spot these days, and will likely need to be an AMG or have some kind of research.

Do you think having a few case studies or posters would be enough?

Thought it would be interesting to see how the competitiveness of each field has changed.

Percent of applicants who matched to the specialty, listed in order of descending competitiveness:
1. Gastroenterology - 62.8%
2. Pulmonology/Critical Care - 69.5%
3. Rheumatology - 71.3%
4. Cardiovascular Disease - 72.8%
5. Hematology and Oncology - 77.4%
6. Allergy and Immunology - 83.9%
7. Endocrinology - 87.1%
8. Hospice and Palliative Medicine - 87.2%
9. Geriatrics (Internal Medicine) - 90.7%
10. Nephrology - 91.6%
11. Infectious Disease - 97.0%

Source: 2019 MSMP Match Results Statistics Report
There's a lot of self-selection there. The best data is still probably https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2018-Charting-Outcomes-SMS.pdf though it's based on the 2017 cycle to start in 2018.

Reactions: 1 user