Aug 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am about to get my GED..

I dropped out of high school for personal reasons.

I suck at math. (Algebra and Geo.)

Im fine with basic math like fractions,multiplying ect. LOL:laugh:

I really want to be a doctor... I passed everything in the GED book with a 80-90% on the pre-tests...Besides for math..

Im very good with science! Love it!

Sence i am not good in math, will this kill my dreams of being a doctor?

Also, which would be easier the MCATS? or the DAT (Dental admission Test?)

Please be honest.

Naijaba

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
The MCAT will have minor calculations, but nothing too intense. However, college-level physics and chemistry courses will require *significant* mathematics. In order to pass these class with A's you'll need to hone your mathematics skills BEFORE taking these classes.

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
You will need to do well in math. Perhaps a tutor can help.

dru2002

10+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree that mathematical skills will be neccessary to do well on the prereqs. Like the others said a tutor wouldn't be a bad idea. Once you know the correct way to solve the problems you need to practice. I would head to the public library and find every algebra text they have and just do problems. The more problems you do the easier it comes.

I would try to do this outside of college so you aren't risking bad grades on college math classes. Once you have it down then take the college math classes, if successful then take some chem and physics classes. If you put in the effort you'll be proficient at math in no time. Good luck!

scattun

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
You definitely stand a chance, but you really need to hone your math skills, especially algebra. One semester of chemistry, two semesters of physics, and obviously two semesters of calculus/stats are almost completely based on algebra. Really consider getting a tutor to teach you algebra. That is not an easy subject to teach yourself. I actually tutor GED students, and almost all of them start off by telling me how much they suck at algebra. But eventually, they all get it. I'm not saying I'm the world's best tutor, I'm just trying to show you, that you are definitely not alone and instruction in algebra helps the vast majority of people in your situation.

chman

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Psychology
Well, first of all, are you bad at math, or is society and your brain telling you that you are bad at math? People somehow got this crazy notion that you are either born great at math or you are not. This is BS! Math takes practice just like everything else worth doing.

I too got my GED. I am now out of community college and at my top choice of Universities. I thought I was bad at math, until someone told me that all I had to do was work at it. I started out with remedial classes and worded my way up to college level. To my surprise, I never got bellow a B. All I did was practice. It took a lot of work, but it was worth it. My advise is to start out at a low level and don't try to rush it. Get a good base going for future classes. You can do it! Believe it or not, the people who get good grades are not always the smartest, they just know they need to work hard.

DaTruMD

10+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2008
You have a long way to go. But you can do it if you're willing to work hard.