I'm thinking about de-friending 90% of my med school class...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every time I get on facebook, all that pops up are about 70 (out of 75 people in my class) people's status updates about how much they are studying and/or freaking out about any upcoming test.

IT DRIVES ME ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!! Big deal, we get it. You are in medical school and you study a lot.

I realize the facebook thing is stupid, but I can barely even stand going up to my school pretty much for the same reason. There is no way I can study around those people.

So basically my question is... when do you stop caring about what other people are doing?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get so angry at seeing people posting about the pointless minutiae of their life on a website specifically set up for people to post the pointless minutiae of their lives that I want to go onto facebook and let everyone know how upset I am about it.

You can ignore comments from people if you truly find them annoying, but still be friends. I only log into facebook when I need to message someone that I don't have their digits.

Otherwise, I suppose you think that your status updates are profound and have deep meanings.

Hide em. I do that for every application that spams my feed. And every annoying ass person. There really is no reason to delete people.

There are WAYYY to many
6a00d8341e1a8753ef0105369a8875970b-500wi
s in medical school.

I agree with the OP, it is a little out of control. I also am not too big of a fan of how many times some d-bag goes to the gym - and where he'll be studying the upper limb that evening before he goes out to get dinner with the folks and ice cream with his half younger brother and his gf's sister molly. But hey.. thats facebook.

:laugh: I agree with the OP. I had to de-friend most everyone towards the end of my second year. When that didn't solve the problem, I decided to delete my account all together. Of course, it also didn't help that I was spending all my time on stupid apps like Mob Wars when I should have been studying for Step 1. much happier now though ;)

LOLROTFLMAO so much win in this thread

hayden-panettiere-stanley-cup-2.jpg

Every time I get on facebook, all that pops up are about 70 (out of 75 people in my class) people's status updates about how much they are studying and/or freaking out about any upcoming test.

IT DRIVES ME ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!! Big deal, we get it. You are in medical school and you study a lot.

I realize the facebook thing is stupid, but I can barely even stand going up to my school pretty much for the same reason. There is no way I can study around those people.

So basically my question is... when do you stop caring about what other people are doing?

1. it's your own fault that you added them, don't you think. This is why I never bothered to add anyone from my class except for the selected fews whom I know I will hang out with.

2. what's the difference between what you are doing now and what they are doing? you are just bitching about some useless, boring, mundane things

I still don't get the point of adding people whom you know you won't hang out with from class. Do you add them simply because you want more "friends"? It's pathetic in my opinion. It's like junior high all over again (Oh, I got this many people to sign my yearbook, etc).

You can ignore comments from people if you truly find them annoying, but still be friends. I only log into facebook when I need to message someone that I don't have their digits.

Otherwise, I suppose you think that your status updates are profound and have deep meanings.

I have never made a status update, ever. I really doubt anybody would care about how many times a day I have a bowel movement.

1. it's your own fault that you added them, don't you think. This is why I never bothered to add anyone from my class except for the selected fews whom I know I will hang out with.

2. what's the difference between what you are doing now and what they are doing? you are just bitching about some useless, boring, mundane things

I still don't get the point of adding people whom you know you won't hang out with from class. Do you add them simply because you want more "friends"? It's pathetic in my opinion. It's like junior high all over again (Oh, I got this many people to sign my yearbook, etc).

2.) Good point, but I said that I know the facebook thing is stupid.

I didn't add all of them, we have a class group and within a few days of joining I had 60+ friend requests.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never made a status update, ever. I really doubt anybody would care about how many times a day I have a bowel movement.

2.) Good point, but I said that I know the facebook thing is stupid.

I didn't add all of them, we have a class group and within a few days of joining I had 60+ friend requests.

exactly, just start hitting the delete buttons
just like in real life, you don't keep the phone numbers of people who annoy you or you don't ever call, why do it on facebook

now get to it

Was it brown, formed stool?

I was about to ask about the BM as well.

However, no need to defriend, just hide them from your news feed. I am about to do the same. I only go to school for required stuff/labs, and I can't study there because I hear how freaked out other people are and my own anxiety levels skyrocket. But I like to remain facebook friends, bc I like my classmates and I want to hang out in the weeks following exams. And I don't want to seem rude or antisocial.

How has studying for anatomy gone for you auburn? I always wondered after the thread you started a few weeks ago. My first anatomy practical and written exam is next Monday. OMG I'm so stressed!!! :D

Uh oh. You came to SDN and suggested that maybe, just maybe, medical students do not in fact die on the cross for the sins of humanity. You should have known this would not go well...

I had the same problem, but i just stopped using face-book. The only problem is no one believes me when i say i haven't seen a certain album or post online.

Uh oh. You came to SDN and suggested that maybe, just maybe, medical students do not in fact die on the cross for the sins of humanity. You should have known this would not go well...

haha what

Did you post in the right thread?

Was it brown, formed stool?

brown-ish, and absolutely not.

I was about to ask about the BM as well.

How has studying for anatomy gone for you auburn? I always wondered after the thread you started a few weeks ago. My first anatomy practical and written exam is next Monday. OMG I'm so stressed!!! :D

Studying for anatomy definitely got easier. The practical seemed unreasonably hard though, still waiting for the grade :scared:

The f?

This sounds so incredibly juvenile to me. You actually took the time and energy to get pissy that some of your classmates are posting about how much they study?

Wish I had that kind of time to care, let alone post, about what others are saying.

By the way, here's a newsflash -- in some families, having a kid in med school is a huge deal. Parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, family friends want every detail and updating your status on FB is a lot easier than constantly emailing with everyone.

I don't see why this would bug anyone frankly, unless they're trying to make a statement of the fact that they're handling things just fine and in that case, it makes you equal to the others.

Seems like most people in this thread are the people that my post was referring to... I should have known.

I would reply to this thread, but I'm too busy studying REALLY REALLY HARD.

You should really relax.

People are stressed, and they post it because they know their classmates will understand how they feel.

If nothing else, it's reassuring to know that other people are human, are stressed or struggling, and you're not in it alone.

I feel you. Facebook is kind of this all or nothing entity. You want to use it to keep in touch with friends and family you don't have time to call and email. You get to see their photos, send messages, keep in touch, maintain relationships, yada yada yada

BUUUUUUUUT

Then there are the people who think facebook is a blog
then there are the stupid widgets
then there are all the requests
then there are the distracting video games
then there are the people who hold grudges if you don't wish them happy birthday on facebook when you just freaking did it in person (my personal favorite).

I have definitely taken advantage of the hide function on the stream. If the trade off is still not worth it, I think you just gotta defriend and pay the consequences.

You should really relax.

People are stressed, and they post it because they know their classmates will understand how they feel.

If nothing else, it's reassuring to know that other people are human, are stressed or struggling, and you're not in it alone.

Half the time they are just being attention ******, "look at me, I'm a medical student and our life is tough because we have a lot to learn". That's bull****.
The OP makes a good point that it gets old after a while when all they post is how much they have to study.
Life is tough; everyone is trying to make a living; being a med student does NOT make you special to a point that everyone on your facebook needs to know that you are in med school and you are studying.

Although I am guilty of posting some ****ed-up **** on FB about my school (ie. I needed to write a journal article from scratch in 3 days because the attending forgot to tell me about the deadline), I generally never mention anything about the little stress you face at work. I usually post about the fun stuff I've done or new music/movie trailers, etc. You know... to let my friends know what I am interested in.....

How would you feel if a waitress friend of yours constantly post about the bad customers everyday?

If you are devoting all your time to study in med school and you are letting the whole thing take over your life, you have issues.

Seems like most people in this thread are the people that my post was referring to... I should have known.

Or there are a lot of us out here who think the problem is with you, not the others. And fyi, I don't even have a FB account. The only person who cares that I'm studying is my gf.

Half the time they are just being attention ******, "look at me, I'm a medical student and our life is tough because we have a lot to learn". That's bull****.
The OP makes a good point that it gets old after a while when all they post is how much they have to study.
Life is tough; everyone is trying to make a living; being a med student does NOT make you special to a point that everyone on your facebook needs to know that you are in med school and you are studying.

This is analogous to those people who constantly have to remind everyone that "being in med school doesn't make you better than anyone else" and I have to wonder, who the hell said it did?

People post all kinds of updates on FB, do they not? What do you care if your friends post about studying. I seriously doubt most are doing it to show off. They're doing it because the title box says "status" and if your "status" is studying, that's what you post. The only people anal enough to actually get pissed about that have serious issues.

Haha clearly I am in the minority here and have serious mental issues.

Please, MedStudentWanna, keep going. This is great comic relief from my hours and hours of grueling studies.

Haha clearly I am in the minority here and have serious mental issues.

Please, MedStudentWanna, keep going. This is great comic relief from my hours and hours of grueling studies.

So this is basically a troll post.

:(

Although I am guilty of posting some ****ed-up **** on FB about my school (ie. I needed to write a journal article from scratch in 3 days because the attending forgot to tell me about the deadline), I generally never mention anything about the little stress you face at work. I usually post about the fun stuff I've done or new music/movie trailers, etc. You know... to let my friends know what I am interested in.....

How would you feel if a waitress friend of yours constantly post about the bad customers everyday?

If you are devoting all your time to study in med school and you are letting the whole thing take over your life, you have issues.

This here. I think a lot of people here are just jumping down the OP's throat in the name of "tolerance" or whatever. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be irritated with people using a website in an obnoxious manner to the point where it's difficult for you to use the website the way you want to. Sure, that doesn't necessarily make your way better than theres, but there are socially accepted norms about what's obnoxious and what's not (like posting every detail about your day from breakfast to evening prayer) and it's equally reasonable to post to others about what one views as a socially agreed upon obnoxious display.

Clearly, this social setting of an internet forum full of (mostly arrogant) medical students is not one that the OP should have expected to receive any sort of sympathy or mutual experiences, but I imagine in other social settings things would be different. So stop jumping down his throat for having an opinion about something he finds frustrating when half of the threads on this entire forum is someone complaining about something be it their stupid anatomy, lousy professors, terrible stats, ignorant peers, or hopeless nurses.

So stop jumping down his throat for having an opinion about something he finds frustrating when half of the threads on this entire forum is someone complaining about something be it their stupid anatomy, lousy professors, terrible stats, ignorant peers, or hopeless nurses.

I never have any sympathy (nor patience) for someone wanting to change others' behavior. Period. Several suggestions have been made to the OP on how to rectify his problem -- hide the updates, etc. And he can always de-friend, so this thread has served its purpose. But don't wag your finger at the other posters on this thread who think the OP is just as annoying and obnoxious as the people he's complaining about.

LOL

This place never ceases to amaze me. :thumbup:

This is analogous to those people who constantly have to remind everyone that "being in med school doesn't make you better than anyone else" and I have to wonder, who the hell said it did?

People post all kinds of updates on FB, do they not? What do you care if your friends post about studying. I seriously doubt most are doing it to show off. They're doing it because the title box says "status" and if your "status" is studying, that's what you post. The only people anal enough to actually get pissed about that have serious issues.

You clearly haven't hung out with enough med students to appreciate their sense of entitlement in society. I am just making a point that there are people who do think that having the potential to be a doctor makes them a better person and they need to announce to the world that they are med students. Obviously not everyone thinks like that but there are enough ppl who do. Yes, we always have those people trying to pickup the opposite sex saying, "oh my name is _____ and what do you do? ________ oh I'm a doctor" (I know 20 guys from my school who have used something medically related as pick-up lines). Yes, we always have those people who post on FB about them "saving lives" or "doing a surgery".

Now, here's my other rant.
Seriously, who the **** would constantly post about their day at the hospital or med school on FB, especially those who post about "saving lives"? You enter a profession not to brag about it, you know. You shouldn't feel that it's a big deal to have saved a life because it is your duty. My mom was a top cardiologist and she never told her friends ONCE about her saving lives because she gets her happiness from jobs well done. If you feel you have to announce to the world that you have helped someone and you crave for appreciation and admiration from your friends and families, you are not mature enough to be a doctor PERIOD.

By the way, the amount of work/studying for the first 2 years at med school does NOT warrant constant update on FB. It's no more than taking 5 or 6 courses each semester at college in my opinion. Constantly posting about studying is equivalent to posting **** like "I did my dishes today then I took a **** and I cleaned the litter box". It quickly gets old.
Why do those who post on FB care so much that they want everyone to think that med school is hard, has a lot of workload? In reality, it isn't. It's just like all the other professions.

I don't know what school you're going to, but you're in the minority in your thoughts that med school isn't a lot of work and isn't much different from undergrad. By any chance, are you a first year?

As for FB, why does anyone post anything on FB? You're peeved about med students posting updates on their studying, but what about stay-at-home moms posting that they're now watching Days of Our Lives? What about people posting "just got back from the store"?

I don't see where med students are any different from anyone else posting on FB. Everyone posts crap like that. This is just an excuse to once again, remind everyone that med students aren't better than anyone else and while I agree with that thought, saying it over and over and over and over and over again only dulls its effect and comes across as incredibly patronizing to the rest of us.

I don't know what school you're going to, but you're in the minority in your thoughts that med school isn't a lot of work and isn't much different from undergrad. By any chance, are you a first year?

As for FB, why does anyone post anything on FB? You're peeved about med students posting updates on their studying, but what about stay-at-home moms posting that they're now watching Days of Our Lives? What about people posting "just got back from the store"?

I don't see where med students are any different from anyone else posting on FB. Everyone posts crap like that. This is just an excuse to once again, remind everyone that med students aren't better than anyone else and while I agree with that thought, saying it over and over and over and over and over again only dulls its effect and comes across as incredibly patronizing to the rest of us.

exactly! comparing to someone posting once about his thesis defense or trying to make partner at a lawfirm, posting repeatedly about how hard and busy med school is quite patronizing as if there is notihing harder in the world than to study for that anatomy exam.

actually, I'm a 3rd year and our school is not a party school
not trying to sound like an ******* here but if you count the hours of work you spend on med school material, they are comparable to undergraduate course work.
Instead of reading 30-40 articles in a week for that one essay for your classic lit class, you are reading 200-300 pages of robbin a week. Instead of spending a couple hours on your socioantho case write up, you are spending a couple hours on clipp cases.

exactly! comparing to someone posting once about his thesis defense or trying to make partner at a lawfirm, posting repeatedly about how hard and busy med school is quite patronizing as if there is notihing harder in the world than to study for that anatomy exam.

So what? I find it anal and petty that anyone would care what others post on FB. If that's the biggest annoyance in your life, I wish I was you.

not trying to sound like an ******* here but if you count the hours of work you spend on med school material, they are comparable to undergraduate course work.

No, they're really not. You obviously worked much harder in undergrad than I did. The only time I studied in undergrad was two days before a test. In med school, I'm at school all day, usually until 3-5 in the evening and study from about 7ish-11ish when I get home. Weekends are spent organizing notes and reviewing (with fun time on Saturday nights). And exam weeks, forget it! It's nowhere near the work that undergrad required.

I click the "ignore" button and don't make threads about it.

I have many friends who use Facebook as their "this is how long my baby napped today!" feed, and rather than freaking out, I just ignore them. Problem solved.

I have many friends who use Facebook as their "this is how long my baby napped today!" feed

Haha, haha. I get either that kind of update or what kind of poopy their precious darling made today. :smuggrin::smuggrin:

Now, here's my other rant.
Seriously, who the **** would constantly post about their day at the hospital or med school on FB, especially those who post about "saving lives"? You enter a profession not to brag about it, you know. You shouldn't feel that it's a big deal to have saved a life because it is your duty. My mom was a top cardiologist and she never told her friends ONCE about her saving lives because she gets her happiness from jobs well done.
You must spend a lot of time with your mom.

By the way, the amount of work/studying for the first 2 years at med school does NOT warrant constant update on FB. It's no more than taking 5 or 6 courses each semester at college in my opinion.
Well, for me, it was only like 1-2 college classes each semester. It was super easy.

Constantly posting about studying is equivalent to posting **** like "I did my dishes today then I took a **** and I cleaned the litter box". It quickly gets old.
Hi, welcome to Facebook, where people post boring and mundane activities all day long.

My current mini-feed contains the following gems:
[nurse my wife worked with]had fun working my part time job the last two days; fun patients. Now trying to psych myself up to work my full time job for the next six days :-(

[ex roommate] is at the gym

[med school classmate] is going home!!!!

I had to laugh when I saw three pics of ppl making the same face

And in the end It's only round and round. . And round

One more hour on this goofy bus ride, give or take. Maybe I can catch some shut-eye before we arrive at the Indy Airport.

You must spend a lot of time with your mom.

Well, for me, it was only like 1-2 college classes each semester. It was super easy.

Hi, welcome to Facebook, where people post boring and mundane activities all day long.

My current mini-feed contains the following gems:

Like I said, I wasn't trying to be a prick but reading material wise, it is comparable based on the amount of readings you have per week (5 senior courses in advanced science, humanity, arts CAN have comparable amount of readings in a week). If you think that med school is like taking 1 college class, good for you.

I was merely expressing my opinions on med students who complain about their mundane lives on FB. That is the topic of discussion. Of course there are those pricks who always try to show off to the world how "well-rounded" they are on FB but it does not concern us here.
There isn't anything wrong for having an opinion on some mundane **** like this and I do like to talk about it at work when I'm bored.

Out of my top 10 most recent...

4 of them are complaining about studying on a Friday night :hungover:

And the other 6 statuses are about college football (completely acceptable) :thumbup:

Hide em. I do that for every application that spams my feed. And every annoying ass person. There really is no reason to delete people.

:thumbup::thumbup: I couldn't agree more. Why do some people feel the need to say, "At the library studying b/c I am such a procrastinator, blah, blah, blah..." Really? Do you think people care what you are doing at various points of the day? Are you that narcissistic?

a recent study came out that said the those who are self-absorbed are more likely to post on facebook. i wish i could find it, so i could post the link. i guess that explains why i am posting on fb 20X/day.

Welcome to UASOM!

Which is basically what this poster was saying, only more tongue-in-cheek:

Hi everyone,

I know perhaps I have no right to write in this thread as I am technically not in medical school yet, only admitted for c/o 2015, so I apologize in advance if I offend anyone or speak out of place but.....

1) Is this thread real?

2) Are the dynamics of internet based social networking sites really that much of an issue amongst those training to be clinicians?

3) Why do medical students post that they are stressed out about exams? Is that not an expectation during medical school that the academic demands will be great? Moreover, if they spent the time posting their statuses about being stressed studying....wouldn't they be able to study slightly more and therefore be slightly less stressed thereby requiring slightly less posting of such slightly less stress?

I'm thoroughly confused, and slightly saddened.....

3) Why do medical students post that they are stressed out about exams? Is that not an expectation during medical school that the academic demands will be great?

Moreover, if they spent the time posting their statuses about being stressed studying....wouldn't they be able to study slightly more and therefore be slightly less stressed thereby requiring slightly less posting of such slightly less stress?

I'm thoroughly confused, and slightly saddened.....

I'll just address these two points, in case you're serious. First, medical students are not stressed because they are surprised by how much they have to study. They are stressed because they have to study a lot.

Second, studying could take about 8 hours per day, and posting on facebook might take 8 seconds, so you're not really going to save a lot of time there.