I'm thinking about de-friending 90% of my med school class...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll just address these two points, in case you're serious. First, medical students are not stressed because they are surprised by how much they have to study. They are stressed because they have to study a lot.

Second, studying could take about 8 hours per day, and posting on facebook might take 8 seconds, so you're not really going to save a lot of time there.

Thanks! I was half serious......I do, or rather can understand, how much material and studying is required in medical school, I guess I just don't understand the facebook posts about it. I'm old though, and of the generation when we didn't let everyone know all the time in real time about what we were doing, so this whole facebook status update thing is still something I don't really get. Its a little egotistical, IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

There is one person that graduated two years after me. I was looking at her Wall one day and for the last 20 status updates all of them dealt with her starting medical school (the summer months) to making sure everyone knows she starts medical school in a week to changing her profile picture of her in her white coat and then to spending all of her time in a library. A few days ago we crossed paths and I asked her how life is going. The only thing she said was the same stuff she posted on her status updates. I gently said to her that there is life outside of medicine, don't leave it behind. If you let your studying consume your life, you will miss the bigger picture of life and why you went to medical school. Don't forget it. Now her last two status updates have been non medical stuff (she enjoyed watching Dancing With The Stars and said who she liked and didn't like and made a post about the Packers game).

Thanks for the story, its interesting. I guess its normal to feel an abnormally great sense of pride to be in medical school, and its natural to expect that people would have some degree of admiration for you, however I would think that when a good percentage of your online friends are doing the same thing you are that at some point you would realize that the "special little snowflake" syndrome doesn't make you so special.

I just think that there is an interesting mindset to those that feel that any updates about your life, aside from relatively large ones (ie marriage, major career moves, etc) interest anyone aside from a very very small circle of friends. I mean, don't people in general not REALLY care that much about other people?

I hate facebook, myspace, rate-me-sites, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMEN brother!

Do you remember that horrible site "Hot-or-not"? What a disaster that was, lol.

:barf:

....Some professional students feel it is important to make sure everyone knows that they are becoming a dentist, lawyer or doctor. But at the end of the day nobody cares. They will only care when they need health advice to to see a doctor at a clinic/hospital. And once they are feeling healthy again they go back to not caring. It goes the same way with being a business owner. Nobody cares that you own five businesses unless you are the one that gives them an income. That's just the way life is.
:thumbup:

I get so angry at seeing people posting about the pointless minutiae of their life on a website specifically set up for people to post the pointless minutiae of their lives that I want to go onto facebook and let everyone know how upset I am about it.
hahaha that is awesome. can i make this my fb status? har har

i have to agree. it sucks to hear people complaining about how much they have to study (or freaking out cuz not studying enough) while you're AT med school.. and then you go on facebook and they're telling everyone about how they have no lives because of facebook. as if there aren't already enough factors in my life to bring me down while i make it my mantra to stay positive as much as possible.. i honestly spend very little time at my med school campus so i dont have to talk/hear about school/studying all the time. i have enough of that already..

Ha ha who cares if med students post about studying all the time on their Facebook??

They do that so they have a release and don't talk about it in real life. Facebook is for updating little stuff about your life. Sorry if no one you know cares but for most people there are at least a couple of people who care.

What I really hate are the sour med students who brag about not thinking that they are better than other people and not posting on facebook about their study life. As if that makes you a better person.

These are the type who say so and so is a top _____ and he/she never brags yet they tell you this as if this person were god and you must do as they do. They often bring up this person with the assumption that they are/will be like this person and will say this to try to gain "points".

If you are that pathetic and vain to think that anyone cares about how you feel about people posting on their facebook either make a post about on facebook or you know...just not use facebook or not look at the news feed. OMG WHAT NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I really hate are the sour med students who brag about not thinking that they are better than other people and not posting on facebook about their study life. As if that makes you a better person.
Umm,,, it does.

My medical school Facebook news feed is the opposite. It's all about how people are going camping and doing non-school things all weekend. It makes me feel bad for studying. :laugh:

My GF is in dental school, she says they are just as bad, if not even worse when it comes to their postings......*sigh*......I just don't get it. I'm convinced no one really cares about anyone else's posts anyways. People just post for the sake of posting, kind of like why a dog licks itself.

I'd love to post stuff like "Just finished my sex change operation, and I'm lovin' this new vulva!" just to see who actually responds, but my parents are my fb friends.

I feel you. Facebook is kind of this all or nothing entity. You want to use it to keep in touch with friends and family you don't have time to call and email. You get to see their photos, send messages, keep in touch, maintain relationships, yada yada yada

BUUUUUUUUT

Then there are the people who think facebook is a blog
then there are the stupid widgets
then there are all the requests
then there are the distracting video games
then there are the people who hold grudges if you don't wish them happy birthday on facebook when you just freaking did it in person (my personal favorite).

I have definitely taken advantage of the hide function on the stream. If the trade off is still not worth it, I think you just gotta defriend and pay the consequences.

facebook IS a microblog in some way in addition to connecting with your friends and all that. It's like twitter, except more personal and such. It's a great way to read statuses and hear about peoples opinions, thoughts, frustrations, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
HA I'm definitely guilty of changing my status every 2.5 minutes on fbook and my statuses usually have to do with med school (hell if I had time for anything else, I'd happily mention it). I figure my non-med school friends who care, will be happy. Those who don't, will mute me. My med school friends are probably feeling similarly and don't care one way or the other.

What's funny about this whole thread is that my friends ask me to update my status more because they think my b*tching is funny. A couple of people have suggested I keep all my statuses and eventually make them into a book on surviving med school through humor or something. I think that's a little much, but at least I know everyone isn't annoyed by my status changes.

Y'all take life way too seriously. I agree that someone saying "I'm saving lives" is toolish (who even says that?!) but making a joke about how much you're studying doesn't seem all that horrible. But who knows, maybe the OP is talking about me. Dude, mute me, I don't take it personally.

HA I'm definitely guilty of changing my status every 2.5 minutes on fbook and my statuses usually have to do with med school (hell if I had time for anything else, I'd happily mention it). I figure my non-med school friends who care, will be happy. Those who don't, will mute me. My med school friends are probably feeling similarly and don't care one way or the other.

What's funny about this whole thread is that my friends ask me to update my status more because they think my b*tching is funny. A couple of people have suggested I keep all my statuses and eventually make them into a book on surviving med school through humor or something. I think that's a little much, but at least I know everyone isn't annoyed by my status changes.

Y'all take life way too seriously. I agree that someone saying "I'm saving lives" is toolish (who even says that?!) but making a joke about how much you're studying doesn't seem all that horrible. But who knows, maybe the OP is talking about me. Dude, mute me, I don't take it personally.

Trust me... I really don't take life too seriously.. if anything I don't take it seriously enough.

There are a few really funny people in my class and their statuses (even though they are about med school) always make me laugh - those are fine.

I was more talking about the ones that are like "Ughhhhhh just got done studying for the 43rd night in a row.......now off to the hospital to see patients!"

Trust me... I really don't take life too seriously.. if anything I don't take it seriously enough.

Yeah, you're really laid back.

just dont bother w/ fb anymore,
its no longer cool, in fact its totally lame, everyone and their mom is on it, its no longer 'exclusive'

besides you need to study!

so say buh-bye facebook, buh-bye!

Jokes about studying/class/med school in general are usually pretty funny. No problems with that. I started hiding people with statuses like:

- _____ can't handle the Wednesday biochem lecture 2 weeks from now. SO stressful! I need to know that stuff better!!!
- someone who has been counting down the days until the next set of exams... since the last set ended... yeah

I like to see jokes, and I tend to make jokes about school too, so keep 'em up :)

Same **** different toilet.

But for everyone bitching about Facebook being a place for pointless updates, get over yourself and close your account. Problem solved.
One step ahead of ya! ;)

I suggest everyone closes their FB accounts as well. BELIEVE me the world will be a MUCH better place because of it.

My medical school Facebook news feed is the opposite. It's all about how people are going camping and doing non-school things all weekend. It makes me feel bad for studying. :laugh:

Yeah, really. A lot of people from my school post non-school stuff all the time and it often makes me feel like I'm the only one studying.

That said, I don't mind too much when people post about how stressed they are and/or how much they study around tests. What does irk me, however, are the whiny posts along the lines of "wah wah I have to study when I'd really rather be drinking myself ******ed with my dopey college buddies at the local pub". Grow up and take some responsibility - you're gonna be a doctor, for Pete's sake.

Yeah, really. A lot of people from my school post non-school stuff all the time and it often makes me feel like I'm the only one studying.

That said, I don't mind too much when people post about how stressed they are and/or how much they study around tests. What does irk me, however, are the whiny posts along the lines of "wah wah I have to study when I'd really rather be drinking myself ******ed with my dopey college buddies at the local pub". Grow up and take some responsibility - you're gonna be a doctor, for Pete's sake.

Yea, because growing up means you can't lament for the fun times of the past.

Thank goodness. These posts make me glad that other MSs feel the same way I do. :) I guess it takes the anonymity of the the internet to reveal it eh? :)