PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
Status
I know that most IM residencies are 4 years and FM is 3. Is there any difference besides that as far as getting a job as a hospitalist. Or am I totally wrong and is there a fellowship that one has to do to become a hospitalist?
Thanks

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
PELE#10 said:
I know that most IM residencies are 4 years and FM is 3. Is there any difference besides that as far as getting a job as a hospitalist. Or am I totally wrong and is there a fellowship that one has to do to become a hospitalist?
No difference.

OP
P

PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
Status
KentW said:
No difference.
How about the fellowship? Do you just apply for jobs as a "hospitalist" when your done with Family med residency?

Thanks

About the Ads

awdc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2002
Los Angeles
Status
Attending Physician
PELE#10 said:
Thanks
IM residencies are 3 years. Med-Peds is 4 years.

Blue Dog

Fides et ratio.
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
PELE#10 said:
How about the fellowship? Do you just apply for jobs as a "hospitalist" when your done with Family med residency?
You don't need a fellowship for hospital privileges. 81.7% of family physicians have hospital privileges (ref: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/aboutus/specialty/facts/31.html ), and 64.2% actively manage patients in the hospital (ref: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/aboutus/specialty/facts/33.html ).

I have privileges at two hospitals, but choose not to admit. Our hospitalist group is composed almost entirely of family physicians.

The only reason to do a fellowship would be if you felt that you needed the additional training.

dr.smurf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
Im a third year FM resident and love hospital medicine and although I may not do it exclusively when I begin practice I do want it to be a large part of my practice. Thus, I have made that point clear to my program director and faculty advisor so they have allowed me to do an additional ICU month as an elective and instead of outpt peds im doing inpt peds months. I have also made it clear on my rotations such as; ICU, ER, PEDS ER, SURG that Im interested in hospital procedures and have done many central lines, intubations, LP'S, chest tubes, etc. If you do a FM residency that has a very busy in-patient service and you do several months of inpatient as well as get your procedures in there really is no need to do a fellowship. I was fortunate that my residency has an extremely busy in-pt service and we do 9 months over 3 years of it. In addition to that we do 2 months of in-pt peds, 1 month of CCU, 1 month of ICU, and 1 month of SURG. This is ample training to do hospital medicine when you are done. And of course you can always use elective time to brush on things like pulm, nephro, cards, etc.

i have also talked to recruiters lately and they have not differentiated IM or FM for hospitalist jobs. its a growing field as more and more primary care docs (IM and FM) give up their admitting privledges for various reasons.

OP
P

PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
Status
dr.smurf said:
Im a third year FM resident and love hospital medicine and although I may not do it exclusively when I begin practice I do want it to be a large part of my practice. Thus, I have made that point clear to my program director and faculty advisor so they have allowed me to do an additional ICU month as an elective and instead of outpt peds im doing inpt peds months. I have also made it clear on my rotations such as; ICU, ER, PEDS ER, SURG that Im interested in hospital procedures and have done many central lines, intubations, LP'S, chest tubes, etc. If you do a FM residency that has a very busy in-patient service and you do several months of inpatient as well as get your procedures in there really is no need to do a fellowship. I was fortunate that my residency has an extremely busy in-pt service and we do 9 months over 3 years of it. In addition to that we do 2 months of in-pt peds, 1 month of CCU, 1 month of ICU, and 1 month of SURG. This is ample training to do hospital medicine when you are done. And of course you can always use elective time to brush on things like pulm, nephro, cards, etc.

i have also talked to recruiters lately and they have not differentiated IM or FM for hospitalist jobs. its a growing field as more and more primary care docs (IM and FM) give up their admitting privledges for various reasons.
Thanks for the reply. I'm really torn right now about what field to go into. I love the family medicine residents at my hospital and I feel that they get to work with all different types of people. But, I do want to pursue a career as a hospitalist so I just want to make sure that I can find work after my residency.

Thanks again.

sophiejane

Exhausted
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
Waco, TX
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do FM hospitalists see kids too? I know IM ones don't--or shouldn't. ;)

If not, I see no reason why you should do family if you are 100% sure you want to be a hospitalist. You would just end up not using that peds experience.

If doing family would allow you that extra edge of also being able to see kids in the hospital, then I would think it would be worth it.

On the other hand, I would personally be a little nervous about seeing kids inpatient as an FP unless you were at a program that had plenty of inpatient peds (this seems to be harder to find...). But that's just me.

However, if you aren't 100% sure about being a hospitalist, and who really is, especially before residency even starts?...then I think family is the way to go.

ntubebate

Country Doctor
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
PELE#10 said:
Thanks
I think there is a benefit for FM hospitalists as they can usually admit to both medicine and peds. IM hospitalists cannot unless they are peds trained (atleast at my hospital).

ntubebate

About the Ads