IM vs pediatrics. Match difficulty in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one is more competitive

• Pediatrics

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Internal medicine

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

yellowcocopuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to gauge the difficulty of matching in California for internal med vs pediatrics for a California native studying in a different state. Step1 score is pretty dismal (215). Goal to do much better in step2. aiming for 240 +/-. Do I even have a chance matching in California? For either of the programs ? How about Obgyn? Other specialities? Or should I just give up now?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe you would allow regional preference to dictate IM vs. pediatrics vs. ObGyn (?!?!). Don't think about med-peds in California. There are only 4 academic programs, anyway. I suggest you pick a specialty based on what your career will look like for the next 40 years and then apply widely. You don't have the luxury to do otherwise with your step score.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree--apply for the specialty you like the most. If you chose your specialty based on how easy you think it would be to go back to CA then you're setting yourself up for a life of misery. What's it matter if you love where you live but hate your job?

California is a great state, but after living in other states you realize all the others are great too. I'd love to practice back on the West Coast or Mountain West, but I sure do like and could happily spend my life in the Midwest if it meant a better quality of life for my family. And the main thing that determines that is 1) Will they actually see me (even physiatrists can work long hours if you really want, or need, a higher income); and 2) Can I afford to have their basic needs met, and ideally have a nice home in a nice neighborhood and send them to nice schools/colleges.

Choose your specialty first. If you really want to go to CA, then just apply to every single program in that specialty. But keep in mind that CA has plenty of crappy residency programs, so you may want to think about whether you actually want to go to some of those programs.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know anything about Peds, but (assuming you're a US grad) anyone can match in CA for IM. There are 33 friggen programs in the state, and they range everything from crappy backwater community programs all the way to UCSF. If your only priority is getting back to the state, and you're willing to train in Oakland, Stockton, Bakersfield, or some random IMG-heavy hospital in LA, there is almost no set of circumstances in which you wouldn't match anywhere in CA. The question is whether you can match in a "good" CA program, and what your personal definition of "good" is.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know anything about Peds, but (assuming you're a US grad) anyone can match in CA for IM. There are 33 friggen programs in the state, and they range everything from crappy backwater community programs all the way to UCSF. If your only priority is getting back to the state, and you're willing to train in Oakland, Stockton, Bakersfield, or some random IMG-heavy hospital in LA, there is almost no set of circumstances in which you wouldn't match anywhere in CA. The question is whether you can match in a "good" CA program, and what your personal definition of "good" is.

This is true. Personally I wouldn't be willing to go to a sub-par program just to be in CA (and I think those programs tend to be rather malignant, which I think would have far more impact on the OP's happiness than whether he/she is in CA), but if that's really all that matters I would think for IM, Peds, FM, and Psych, it'd be fairly reasonable to expect to match into a CA program if you applied to all of the programs within your specialty in the state, assuming no giant red flags.

Still--I think anyone that has that mindset should re-evaluate their priorities. In my mind, the only reason (and there may be many more--maybe I'm being close-minded here) worth basing your specialty on geography and/or going to a sub-par program for geography would be for your significant other and/or family. (ie., if my wife had an amazing once-in-a-lifetime opportunity in Bakersfield that would significantly advance her career and/or happiness, and I felt I'd get decent-enough training to be a good internist by going there, then I think it'd be worth considering going there. Being near aging and frail elderly parents could count as well--family comes first.

However, the thing to consider in circumstances like the above is whether your family would actually be better off with you going to a better program, even if you're farther away, as since presumably as a physician, the odds are you'll be the main breadwinner for the household.

Still, everyone's entitled to choose their specialty and rank list by what they feel will make them the happiest. OP, I'd encourage you to really think and reflect carefully on this. Don't do anything you'll later regret (one way or the other--only you can really answer that, not us random internet folk)

Reactions: 1 user