"I'm waiting for fin. aid offers".. Q

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chef, Mar 7, 2002.

1. chef

chef Senior Member

Please clarify something for me.. I hear many of you saying "I'm holding onto acceptances until I see fin. aid offers".
    Q:
    Don't you file 1 FAFSA form? I thought each school gets 1 same report and the fin aid is given strictly based on need. So how can fin aid be different for each school? These are all need based fin. aid right? Also, why does it matter if they loan you more b/c that just means you'll repay more. How does each school decide how much to loan to u? Is it common to get loans/fin aid from both teh gov't and the school?

I'm kidna clueless regarding this issue so it'd be great if u guys can explain this for me. Sorry if I sounded like a dork who has no clue...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member

check out the financial aid forum, or do a search for FAFSA. There has been exhaustive discussion of FA in the past few months.

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member

I just bumped up an old thread of mine that has a lot of FA info on it.

5. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    well i got into my state school and an non-resident state school. the non-resident state school might give me more grants.

also some schools figure out ways to have lower average debt loads. so financial aid from each school has the potential to be different.

6. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Each school typically has its own financial aid application, and each school has its own way of administering a variety of need-based or merit-based grants and scholarships -- these are the financial aid packages that people are talking about. Schools like Stanford and Duke typically are very generous with aid -- they have very large endowments, and thus they are in a position to offer grants to many of their incoming students. If a student gets a particularly nice package at School X, but prefers School Y, they can always show School Y the package and ask them to match it. Sometimes schools will do this, sometimes they won't.

7. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by oldman:
    <strong>well i got into my state school and an non-resident state school. the non-resident state school might give me more grants.

also some schools figure out ways to have lower average debt loads. so financial aid from each school has the potential to be different.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup. some schools offer more "free money" than others (ie grants/scholalships). You gotta wait for the final offer.