"I'm withdrawing my acceptance from X school"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alexander99

Ghetto Fabulous
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who finds the "I'm withdrawing from X school" posts to be annoying? I feel like when people make those posts, they are doing it for 2 reasons: To say 1. "Look at all the good schools I got into--I can afford to withdraw from this school" and 2. "I'm a good/considerate person so you should thank me."

I really don't see a point in making these posts. It's not as if a waitlistee can really keep track of how many people are withdrawing from a school to see what his or her chances are of getting off the waitlist. What would be an appropriate response to this kind of post? "Oh, wow! Thank you very much! I'm so greatful. Now I feel like my chances of getting in have increased. In addition, you must be a great applicant to have been able to get into a school better than where I'm waitlisted at."

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, i kind of feel you on this one. it's up there w/ pple posting where they declined interviews, which is particularly obnoxious when it's in someones sig! I know many longtime sdn'ers do that, but it seems kinda pretentious to me.

chill you guys...some of us on the waitlist like seeing these posts, because it makes us feel better....even if we can't keep track of how many people are dropping the acceptances and even if it doesn't really give us a better chance of getting accepted....it's comforting somehow, and these forums are here for info and support, so i'm all for people posting them....
and as for people being pretentious in posting where they got interviews etc., why not? we've all worked hard to get where we are, maybe some people are proud of their accomplishments......and frankly, i don't really care where people got interviews, so if it makes them feel better to post it, rock on....... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
camstah said:
chill you guys...some of us on the waitlist like seeing these posts, because it makes us feel better....even if we can't keep track of how many people are dropping the acceptances and even if it doesn't really give us a better chance of getting accepted....it's comforting somehow, and these forums are here for info and support, so i'm all for people posting them....
and as for people being pretentious in posting where they got interviews etc., why not? we've all worked hard to get where we are, maybe some people are proud of their accomplishments......and frankly, i don't really care where people got interviews, so if it makes them feel better to post it, rock on....... :thumbup:

for the record, i wasn't complaining about pple telling where they got interviews. i was complaining about pple specifically making it a point to inform everyone where they TURNED DOWN interviews. and i was only making this point in regards to sig's and other irrelevant places, not in relation to a discussion of a particular school where it would be appropriate for someone to say "i turned down an interview at school X for this reason..."

The "I'm withdrawing from X school" threads give hope to those waiting for waitlist movement. Don't read the threads that specifically have titles like that. I personally would LOVE to see two withrawing threads... one for UCI and one for Loma Linda (hint hint). Courtyard already made my day by stating she was withrawing from UCI on Monday. Maybe someone will make your day by withdrawing from a school you are waitlisted at. I bet these threads won't be annoying when that happens, huh? :rolleyes:

I'd feel better if someone that got into Einstein would withdraw their app. :D

tygrwds said:

If I got in there, I would both withdraw AND start a thread about it! :laugh:

tygrwds said:

I declined my interview last week. Does that count?

That helps! :laugh: