rambo2006

Be a DDS or die trying
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
427
2
The great state of a epiphany
Status
Dental Student
Isn’t it ridiculous when people with really high stats post a thread about being so worried? It just makes me feel like ahhhh, panic, they have way better stats then me, so I should probably panic because If they are justified in thier worry, then I am probably living off a false sence of hope that really doesnt exist.
 

duh?

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
847
0
Status
Pre-Dental
There's a difference between book-smarts and regular old street-smarts. If a person with great stats like that is still (unnecessarily) worried then it's a sign that something is not right somewhere (a good location would be the head). People like that may lack confidence, have low self esteem, maybe even have horrible attitudes.
I suppose the interviews are for weeding out people like that.
I just ignore posts like that. I believe a confident person can achieve whatever with hard work. Good grades don't mean a whole lot if people cannot communicate and radiate CONFIDENCE in their abilities and hard work.
When a patient comes to you, you don't flash the degree first, you TALK to the patient, get him/her comfortable so they feel, like they're in the right place. Do your job and if you do it right, they MAY want to know where you went to school and what you class rank was (yeah right). I wouldn't trust my teeth to a dentist with a degree on his wall that goes around fumbling about the office because he's not sure he is qualified to prep me for a crown even though the paper on the wall says he is.
I know many people who have average grades but have so much confidence in themselves that they out-shine brainy kids that have zero people skills.
People need to grow backbones!
Ask yourself, what are your chances? Evaluate youself, your interviews, your abilities. ANSWER that question yourself. Your answer and how you get to it, will tell you more about urself than anybody on SDN can. If you have doubts about yourself, you radiate that to the whole world-- interviewer included!
 

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
11,364
89
Texas
Status
Dentist
These people are asking legitimate questions because they want an idea as to where they stand in the application process. Yes, these posts do get a little repetitive, but why not try and answer their questions. A dentist needs more than just confidence. You also need to have patience and compassion (enough patience and compassion to help the people who ask these questions). As a dentist, you're supposed to educate your patients, and answer their questions with respect no matter how ridiculous their questions may be. If at the end of the day, you are still tired of those posts, why bother clicking on them? Just ignore them and move on. :)
 
About the Ads

Audio

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
991
2
Toronto
Status
rambo2006 said:
Isn’t it ridiculous when people with really high stats post a thread about being so worried? It just makes me feel like ahhhh, panic, they have way better stats then me, so I should probably panic because If they are justified in thier worry, then I am probably living off a false sence of hope that really doesnt exist.
Yeah but then again,you're crazy too for worrying about what they say cuz you have great stats too :D
 

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
8,392
36
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
rambo2006 said:
Isn’t it ridiculous when people with really high stats post a thread about being so worried? It just makes me feel like ahhhh, panic, they have way better stats then me, so I should probably panic because If they are justified in thier worry, then I am probably living off a false sence of hope that really doesnt exist.
They're not. ;) If those folks don't get in, it's for reasons that have nothing to do with their GPA or DAT.
 

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
1,562
4
Oregon
Status
Dentist
duh? said:
People need to grow backbones!

If you have doubts about yourself, you radiate that to the whole world-- interviewer included!
Nicely said. I agree.
 

duh?

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
847
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Sorry, double post. :D
 

duh?

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
847
0
Status
Pre-Dental
tinman831 said:
These people are asking legitimate questions because they want an idea as to where they stand in the application process. Yes, these posts do get a little repetitive, but why not try and answer their questions.

How am I supposed to give them an accurate evaluation of where they stand? I am not in any admissions committee, I'm just a student like them. All I can tell them is what I think. Nothing I or almost anybody here will tell them will change their admission status.

A dentist needs more than just confidence. You also need to have patience and compassion (enough patience and compassion to help the people who ask these questions).

Yes I know dentists need more than just confidence, I never said ALL we need is confidence. I just feel it's really important. Again, there's not much help i can give other than what i think. And what I think has not effect on their admission status.

As a dentist, you're supposed to educate your patients, and answer their questions with respect no matter how ridiculous their questions may be.
Exactly, operative word being patient, in this case. I dont expect everybody to know everything, but there are some things that only admissions people/ADCOMs can help you with.

If at the end of the day, you are still tired of those posts, why bother clicking on them? Just ignore them and move on. :)

Yes, if you'd return to my post, you'll see that I said, i ignore them. I may choose to read (cos i usually cant get all the info from the topics alone). And if i have nothing to say, i dont. I understand that some people like that may have sensible questions attached to those post like "I did all my pre-reqs at a CC, what do I do?" Yes other students can tell them their experiences and what they need to do. These guys are different from those asking for admission chances only. NOTHING ANYBODY SAYS HERE WILL CHANGE YOUR STATUS.
I appreciate your input. And I do understand your compassion for and patience with these people. We are here to learn from eachother and You've made me realize I may have come off a little hard on them. I am not perfect and I will keep working on my people skills too. I grew up in a no-nonsense environment and I tend to expect some degree of competence from people who are supposed to be as smart as their grades indicate. My bad! Thanks! :D
 

mcshow2

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
301
0
Status
Dental Student
rambo2006 said:
Isn’t it ridiculous when people with really high stats post a thread about being so worried? It just makes me feel like ahhhh, panic, they have way better stats then me, so I should probably panic because If they are justified in thier worry, then I am probably living off a false sence of hope that really doesnt exist.
I got decent scores... and know what, I am pretty damn worried.

You all can say what you want, but I have gone to one interview! I turned my applications in early and got the secondary's out all by early september. Now I just wait, wait, wait....

I would love the opportunity to go to these interviews and show that I have a screw loose in my head or i don't have the "street smarts." I haven't even gotten that far...
 

dat_student

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
2,068
0
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status
mcshow2 said:
I got decent scores... and know what, I am pretty damn worried.

You all can say what you want, but I have gone to one interview! I turned my applications in early and got the secondary's out all by early september. Now I just wait, wait, wait....

I would love the opportunity to go to these interviews and show that I have a screw loose in my head or i don't have the "street smarts." I haven't even gotten that far...
UCLA: You have a very good chance to get in. You were one of the 1st applicants who were interviewed there. I believe on Dec 1st you'll get a phone call from UCLA. :)

UCSF: Something is probably missing. Are you sure they have all your letters of recommendation & everything else? Were you involved in any extracurricular activities (e.g. research, community service, shadowing experience, etc.)? 20/100 points are for extracurricular activities.

UW: They rarely accept non-residents. [You are a California resident]

Oregon HSU: Didn't someone say OHSU very recently started interviewing applicants? If that's the case I suspect OHSU hasn't interviewed more than 20 applicants.

Marquette: You seem to be more than competitive for this school if you can have enough reasons to write a one page essay.
 

Audio

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
991
2
Toronto
Status
dat_student said:
UCLA: You have a very good chance to get in. You were one of the 1st applicants who were interviewed there. I believe on Dec 1st you'll get a phone call from UCLA. :)

UCSF: Something is probably missing. Are you sure they have all your letters of recommendation & everything else? Were you involved in any extracurricular activities (e.g. research, community service, shadowing experience, etc.)? 20/100 points are for extracurricular activities.

UW: They rarely accept non-residents. [You are a California resident]

Oregon HSU: Didn't someone say OHSU very recently started interviewing applicants? If that's the case I suspect OHSU hasn't interviewed more than 20 applicants.

Marquette: You seem to be more than competitive for this school if you can have enough reasons to write a one page essay.
Wow, that was cool. Now do me :D Check out my schools and give me your diagnosis ;)

I'll start with yours: You'll get into every single school you interviewed :thumbup:
 

duh?

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
847
0
Status
Pre-Dental
dat_student said:
UCLA: You have a very good chance to get in. You were one of the 1st applicants who were interviewed there. I believe on Dec 1st you'll get a phone call from UCLA. :)

UCSF: Something is probably missing. Are you sure they have all your letters of recommendation & everything else? Were you involved in any extracurricular activities (e.g. research, community service, shadowing experience, etc.)? 20/100 points are for extracurricular activities.

UW: They rarely accept non-residents. [You are a California resident]

Oregon HSU: Didn't someone say OHSU very recently started interviewing applicants? If that's the case I suspect OHSU hasn't interviewed more than 20 applicants.

Marquette: You seem to be more than competitive for this school if you can have enough reasons to write a one page essay.
Now that DAT student has put all your worries to rest, start CELEBRATING! ADCOMs MUST listen to him! after all, he's an SDNite. :laugh:
I noticed that you said sthg about not having your BSc by next fall, (I may be wrong), Some schools have preferences when it comes to having a degree before you can matriculate. I trust that you did your research before applying to the schools you chose.
 
About the Ads

Sprgrover

Pulped out Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
4,037
4
Philadelphia, PA
Status
aphistis said:
They're not. ;) If those folks don't get in, it's for reasons that have nothing to do with their GPA or DAT.
Bill's right. I think that all too often applicants forget that there are other aspects of their application, namely their personal statement, LOR's, and extra-curriculars, which weigh heavily with a lot of adcoms.
 

kiggar4l2000

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
90
1
Status
rambo2006 said:
Isn’t it ridiculous when people with really high stats post a thread about being so worried? It just makes me feel like ahhhh, panic, they have way better stats then me, so I should probably panic because If they are justified in thier worry, then I am probably living off a false sence of hope that really doesnt exist.
haha i was about to cyber bitch-slap you if your thread title wasn't a joke haha
 

rambo2006

Be a DDS or die trying
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2005
427
2
The great state of a epiphany
Status
Dental Student
I guess having a decent GPA and DAT scores are like having a king in the game of chess in that if you dont have them your screwed. But having them doesnt mean you win (get into dental school).
 

dat_student

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
2,068
0
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status
Audio said:
Wow, that was cool. Now do me :D Check out my schools and give me your diagnosis ;)

I'll start with yours: You'll get into every single school you interviewed :thumbup:
UPENN seems to be a sure thing for you. For UPENN GPA is very important (probably more important than DAT). Your GPA is very good for UPENN. You'll hear good news in December. Harvard is within reach. AA = 22 is their avg. You are not necessarily below avg because your GPA is above Harvard's avg GPA. :) I'd say you have a very good chance to be accepted by Harvard. My last diagnosis: you won't study at Buffalo. ;) I wish you the best of luck.
 

Audio

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
991
2
Toronto
Status
dat_student said:
UPENN seems to be a sure thing for you. For UPENN GPA is very important (probably more important than DAT). Your GPA is very good for UPENN. You'll hear good news in December. Harvard is within reach. AA = 22 is their avg. You are not necessarily below avg because your GPA is above Harvard's avg GPA. :) I'd say you have a very good chance to be accepted by Harvard. My last diagnosis: you won't study at Buffalo. ;) I wish you the best of luck.

Hahahah, thanks a lot dat_student. You take a lot of **** on here but you're still a great guy :) I'll be interested to hear where you got in in the next week or two. Good luck.
 
B

BentalScholar

dat_student said:
UPENN seems to be a sure thing for you. For UPENN GPA is very important (probably more important than DAT). Your GPA is very good for UPENN. You'll hear good news in December. Harvard is within reach. AA = 22 is their avg. You are not necessarily below avg because your GPA is above Harvard's avg GPA. :) I'd say you have a very good chance to be accepted by Harvard. My last diagnosis: you won't study at Buffalo. ;) I wish you the best of luck.

Is it only me who sees his sarcasim??
 

dat_student

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
2,068
0
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status
BentalScholar said:
Is it only me who sees his sarcasim??
yes, you see facts as sarcasim. For UPENN GPA is very important & Audio's GPA is above Harvard's avg. I bet Audio will study at an IVY school. He has good stats eventhough the stats are not in his signature anymore.

BentalScholar, your few comments are a bit strange:
You start by apologizing after a bad joke:
" I am very sorry if I offended anyone, I think my sense of humor doesnt work in the morning. I apologize again and please disregard this post thank you."

you then attack rambo2006 by telling him

"This is the second post that you include this phrase in...I think we can live with one less person on this forum..."

JavaCity posts this for you:
"Bental, your recent comments are beginning to brand you as a troll."

but you make fun of JavaCity's comment by saying:

"troll? what does that mean? well i am guessing it has a negative meaning,..."

You don't stop and try to make fun of another SDNer's earlier post about retaking a class:

"I took history my first semester and screwed it up with a B-, due to conflicts with the TA. I am planning on taking it over next semester i know i can at least get a B+ this time. Please let me know if it is a good idea."

You want to retake a class because you want to convert B- to B+? Isn't your GPA near perfect? Wouldn't a 4.0 student want to get an A and not a B+?

Did you create a new ID to attack everyone in this forum? What do you want to do? Do you want to start a fight between me and Audio? Do you just come to this forum to attack people?
 

Audio

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
991
2
Toronto
Status
dat_student said:
yes, you see facts as sarcasim. For UPENN GPA is very important & Audio's GPA is above Harvard's avg. I bet Audio will study at an IVY school. He has good stats eventhough the stats are not in his signature anymore.

BentalScholar, your few comments are a bit strange:
You start by apologizing after a bad joke:
" I am very sorry if I offended anyone, I think my sense of humor doesnt work in the morning. I apologize again and please disregard this post thank you."

you then attack rambo2006 by telling him

"This is the second post that you include this phrase in...I think we can live with one less person on this forum..."

JavaCity posts this for you:
"Bental, your recent comments are beginning to brand you as a troll."

but you make fun of JavaCity's comment by saying:

"troll? what does that mean? well i am guessing it has a negative meaning,..."

You don't stop and try to make fun of another SDNer's earlier post about retaking a class:

"I took history my first semester and screwed it up with a B-, due to conflicts with the TA. I am planning on taking it over next semester i know i can at least get a B+ this time. Please let me know if it is a good idea."

You want to retake a class because you want to convert B- to B+? Isn't your GPA near perfect? Wouldn't a 4.0 student want to get an A and not a B+?

Did you create a new ID to attack everyone in this forum? What do you want to do? Do you want to start a fight between me and Audio? Do you just come to this forum to attack people?

Don't worry big guy, no one can start a fight between us :laugh:
 

duh?

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
847
0
Status
Pre-Dental
AUDIO! DAT_STUDENT! GET A ROOM! :mad: :laugh:
 

1992Corolla

CheerioKing
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2005
2,081
7
40
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I want to be in Matrix IV...who do I have to piss off to get a casting spot?
 

duh?

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
847
0
Status
Pre-Dental
You might wanna join Audio and Dat_student in the room next door. That's where you audition for the part you want! LOL! :laugh: :laugh:
 
About the Ads