I'm worried my work/activities section is too short and not detailed enough? Advice please???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tennis Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
So, I'm worried my work/activities section is too short and not detailed enough? How are all of you filling yours out, and are you making it EXTREMELY detailed and long? Does it matter, if it's short and not that detailed for entries? Thank you all so much for your time, insight, and assistance..... it is all greatly appreciated!!!!! .....

Members don't see this ad.

For mine, I focused more on the lessons that came out of the experience rather than the description itself. If it’s like a club, then I mention an event that was memorable and what I learned from it. Other people might have different strategies.

Reactions: 1 users
When I did mine, I put (1) a short description of the activity and (2) what I learned and how it’ll make me a better physician. Some activities it was harder to be concise on, but you’ll get the hang of it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When I did mine, I put (1) a short description of the activity and (2) what I learned and how it’ll make me a better physician. Some activities it was harder to be concise on, but you’ll get the hang of it!

Yes, similar. If you can tell a story, that is better, as you are "showing, not telling". If you can't tell a story, then emphasize on stats (i.e. I organized a conference attended by 200 people, raised $5000 dollars). Also, I'd hesitate on saying how it will make you a better physician if it doesn't flow. Don't force it in there if it doesn't make sense, as AdComs can smell the bulli**** on the app.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, similar. If you can tell a story, that is better, as you are "showing, not telling". If you can't tell a story, then emphasize on stats (i.e. I organized a conference attended by 200 people, raised $5000 dollars). Also, I'd hesitate on saying how it will make you a better physician if it doesn't flow. Don't force it in there if it doesn't make sense, as AdComs can smell the bulli**** on the app.

agreed. I never explicitly stated that I’d be a better physician although some were more related (ex. scribe, nanny for female physician), but more so tried to touch on some of AAMCs 15 core competencies. If it doesn’t directly relate to healthcare, just make sure you share how you grew from that experience. Just remember to be concise!

agreed. I never explicitly stated that I’d be a better physician although some were more related (ex. scribe, nanny for female physician), but more so tried to touch on some of AAMCs 15 core competencies. If it doesn’t directly relate to healthcare, just make sure you share how you grew from that experience. Just remember to be concise!
It’s a great point to use AAMC’s 15 core competencies as a soft guide. I also tried to touch on them indirectly through the lessons I learned from my activities.

Reactions: 1 user