1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

IM?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by realruby2000, Oct 29, 2001.

1. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This is a popular residency but whenever i ask anyone what do these guys do, they just say "its a general physician"....and that they do everything....anyone know anything else about INTERNAL MEDICINE and what they do, where do they work and how well are they comphensated? can they work in a hospital? if so what do they do actually? Also its a primary care residency right?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason
    10+ Year Member

Internal medicine is a primary care discipline. What someone would think of as a family doctor/PCP/Internist. Bascially, they see everything patient wise. Internal medicine and family practice are very similiar. Although FP is primarly clinic work (70-80%) with the rest hospital (and no intensive care privledges) - An IM is primarily hospital with some clinic and has intensive care privledges. (Strange, I just had a conversation about this over an ice cream sundae).

Salary wise... really depends on location. $80-150k would be an accurate range. General medicine and peds are on the low end of the pay scale.

For residency, they usually fall into a few categories. Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, EMed, Surgery, and Derm. From there one can "specialize" more by doing a Fellowship(i.e. Internal Medicine residency into a cardiology fellow).

There are subsets of Internal Medicine. These are usually Intensive Care, Endocrin, Gastro, Hem/Onc, ID, neuro(?), nephro, rheum and radiology. The subset different in Family Medicine: EMed, Geriatrics, and OMM.

Hope I helped!

-A

4. BamaAlum

10+ Year Member

Hey,
    Internists specialize in treating illnesses in adults. They do not generally treat children. IM is considered primary care. It was explained to me that IM is like the detective work of the medical world.(For adults at least). Internists spend a great deal of time seeing patient in the hospital as many of their patients are very ill. Some internists work solely in the hospital(hospitalists). Hem/Oncology, cardiology, rheumatology, endocrino., nephrology, gastroent., infectious disease, pulomonology, and critical care are all internal medicine sunspecialties. Radiology and neurology ar not considered medical subspecialties.

5. Right now Im residencies are 3 years and FP 2years. With IM you see adults.
    IM/peds IM/ER are also available rsidencies.
    Starting salary is generally higher for IM but currenly there is a greater need for FP's.

6. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have never seen ANY family practice residency that is only 2 years long. All are 3, some with an option of applying for a chief residency position for a pay bump and a 4th year.

IM does more hospital-based teaching and care of patients than does FP in many programs. There is both clinic time and hospital patient care time in both residencies, but the ratio is different from program to program . IM is also the jumping-off point for a variety of subspecialties: gastroenterology, cardiology, rheumatology, etc. IM docs receive little to NO training in some areas FPs can: obstetrics and gynecology (sometimes with C-section training) and sports medicine come to mind first. An FP can care for you, deliver your children, and continue you and your child's care until s/he retires. An IM doc will care for you, refer you to someone else for OB care, refer your kid to another doc for pediatric care, and then treat you both once the kid is 18.

Amra's post is incorrect as well. Some IM docs finish their residencies and do a second one. However, radiology, ID, heme/onc, and neuro are totally separate residencies that have their own programs. So does emergency medicine, but FPs and IMs often moonlight in the ER or work in Urgent Care. (Amra, you also forgot medical specialties like Ob, the specialty surgery programs (ENT, ortho), optho, psychiatry, and peds in your categories.) Some FPs indeed have ICU privs, but many elect not to because of a lack of training in their specific program or a lack of interest.

For more information, go to the AMA's website and poke around FREIDA, the national residency training database:
    http://www.ama-assn.org/go/freida

7. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc
    10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I think diane ev meant to say 2 years after the 1 year traditional DO rotating internship, which is correct.

8. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the update.. I couldn't remember all the individual residencies off the top of my head... my main point was the IM is a starting point for many 'specialities.' Also, I didn't realize that ID had its own residency...

The more I learn... the more I realize I really don't know that much... Then again, this is the point isn't it (learning that is) ? ;)

Close but no cigar-
    -A

P.S. Does anyone know where that phrase comes from? (close but no cigar)

9. Neurogirl

Neurogirl Resident Extraordinaire
    10+ Year Member

Djanaba,

Sorry, but your "correction" is partially incorrect. As previously stated by Bama, ID and heme/onc are IM subspecialties (ID is a 2 year fellowship and heme/onc is 3). You might be thinking about rad onc which DOES have it's own residency.

Neurogirl DO, MPH

10. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    "Close, but no cigar" comes from old-time carnivals where prizes for some games (like the thing you often see on cartoons where a guy hits a lever with a hammer and tries to ring a bell with a piece of metal) were sometimes cigars. When you lost the game operators might say "close, but no cigar..."

11. pushinepi2

pushinepi2 Bicarb chaser
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey all,

I know this message thread is certainly "IM" but what the heck. Here's my take on "subsets." Though it is often premature to think about residency in the first year of medical school, the possibilities of post graduate function function as the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. Amra's description of the IM "subset" is nice, but I don't understand why she mentions Emed as a "subset" of family practice. I once commented to a DO that his ER residency was like an "urban family practice." Not only did this DO interrupt his presentation to correct my opinion; he also sketched out the huge "chasm" between Emed and FP. For whatever its worth, here's some information garnered from both the American College of Emergency Physicians and the American College of Osteopathic Emergency Physicians.

Emed is no longer a subset of any discipline. Emergency Medicine Physicians are board certified, residency trained professionals (at least those that were not "grandfathered in"). They usually complete 3-4 years of post graduate training. ABEM and AOBEM no longer permit physicians to grandfather into emergency medicine. Currently, physicians wanting to be "boarded" in EM must complete an ACGME/AOA approved residency. As another member correctly states, some combined IM/EM residencies are available that will allow a candidate to sit for both board examinations. Furthermore, both the AOA and ACGME sponsor subspecialty training in emergency medicine. I believe that certified programs are available in toxicology, pediatrics, and sports medicine. Fellowships can be completed in emergency medical services, disaster medicine, and public health. Residency training is a wonderful and massive world of opportunity. Both the AOA and AMA websites have some excellent links available to help premeds and meds alike to better digest the information out there!

Regards,

PUSHinEPI2
    First year medical student prematurely thinking about a residency in emergency medicine