IMG- Advice on how to study neuroanatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pruthvi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello..am an IMG.. our school does not teach neuroanatomy in the slightest.as a result i have absolutely zero background in neuroanatomy.now as am planning to take the step , i am wondering how to proceed studying neuroanatomy..

I have the fifth edition of High yield neuroanatomy..but everything seems so complicated and "new "..

i have quiet a lot of time by the time i sit the step 1 and i want to learn it pretty thoroughly...can someone please tell me how to effectively learn neuroanatomy ? any step by step process how to study neuroanatomy really well?

Members don't see this ad.

https://www.coursera.org/course/medicalneuro

If you have absolutely no neuroanatomy background, then his videos are what you need. It's essentially an entire neuro course that highlights what is normally taught in a medical school neuro course (with less minutiae!) -- So if you have no background in it at all, I suggest watching his videos.

Reactions: 1 users
thank u so much for ur suggestion :) will go through the course :)

after finishing this course, can i go straight to high yield neuroanatomy ?

If you go through the ENTIRE course, which I don't really recommend unless you aren't pressed for time, you won't need HY neuroanatomy lol -- everything will definitely be much more understandable.

Members don't see this ad :)
To master neuroanatomy you basically need 3 sources.
1. Clinical Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple
2. Neuroanatomy section in First Aid
3. first chapter of high yield neuroanatomy (for the pictures)

Master these three sources and you should be able to master any Neuroanatomy that comes your way.

To quote Dr.Conrad Fischer- "You can't review which you never knew".

OP is asking how to learn neuroanatomy and NOT how to review neuroanatomy.
i have absolutely zero background in neuroanatomy............................................................................................................ i am wondering how to proceed studying neuroanatomy...................................................can someone please tell me how to effectively learn neuroanatomy ?

Reactions: 1 user

Even considering this I still think that many of the big books are overkill. Clinical Neuroanatomy made ridiculously simple + First Aid I think are more than enough. But then again I haven't passed step 1 yet so maybe somebody else has better advice.

Hence, Snell's Clinical Neuroanatomy. Great diagrams including longitudnal tracings and great clinical tie ins. I wouldn't want a third party to decide how much information is too much and have already left things out when I'm learning for the first time. That, like you said, is for review books.

Reactions: 1 user
thank u for the advice guys..much appreciated :) when you say kaplan neuro , is the neuro anatomy sections of the kaplan anatomy lecture notes ??

thank u all for your suggestions :)