IMG chances at EM residency (after IM residency?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Google

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am an IMG from India, and although i know EM is fairly competitive, I think it is one of the few specialties I feel enthusiastic about.
So can you please look at my brief profile and tell me what would be my best option?

My profile:
Year of Graduation- 2011
Step 1- 242
Step 2 CK- 237
Step 2 CS- pass in 1st attempt
Currently doing MPH
Research- a few publications in Gastro and Radio, none in EM
Observership- 1 month each in Trauma radio and Interventional radio

Options:
1) Apply straight away for EM and IM as back up. (No EM experience so chances of getting EM very low)
2) Do prelim IM, and then reapply for EM next year. (Hoping that 1 year of IM will make me a competitive candidate for EM)
3) Do a full IM residency and then apply for EM. (Hoping a complete IM residency will give me enough skills and contacts to become a competitive candidate for EM.)

Thank you for your replies in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You would really need a SLOE (Standard Letter of Evaluation) which you can only get by rotating through an ED that has an EM residency. You would probably be best served doing IM pre lim at a place that has an EM residency and trying to rotate through the ED in July/Aug/Sept so you can get a SLOE and apply for EM next year.

Do #1 or #2. You have good numbers if you can finesse the overall application.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with your #3 option (do full IM residency) is that ACGME will only fund one residency. So to enter into a second EM residency, you would be asking that program to fund you from their department budget and for many programs that's just not possible.

Also, apply at places that are willing to sponsor visas (if you need a VISA).

Hi everyone and thank you for your replies!
Based on you all's suggestions, I am afraid I have these concerns:

1) The 1 year prelim IM won't hurt me too badly, right, funding-wise?
(Because in that case I would be better off investing that 1 year in some research fellowship instead.)
(And thanks for warning about NOT doing the 3 year IM cat, sounds like it would've been suicidal!)

2) If I take up a prelim IM this year but end up not matching for EM next year, how easy is it to convert my prelim PGY-1 IM program to a categorical PGY-2 IM program? Or will i have to apply for match and start over from PGY-1 again?

I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and guide me, thank you SDN community!

Bumping up?

Last edited: