IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The season has been very quiet. I'm a first time applicant so this forum has been useful.
It seems like +200 programs really is the minimum to gain any traction. I applied to 156 and have one interview and one wait-list.
my ECFMG certification got delayed, I got it around Nov 30th, I know it's a crucial piece for J1 related IVs I guess, u think people get IVs in December ?? What difference does it make if I do step 3 and apply next year ?

my ECFMG certification got delayed, I got it around Nov 30th, I know it's a crucial piece for J1 related IVs I guess, u think people get IVs in December ?? What difference does it make if I do step 3 and apply next year ?

Honestly, I'm not the best person to ask since I'm a total newbie myself.
There are some anecdotes that people do get a few ii's in December but I'm personally prepping for SOAP. Good luck though!
Again, advice varies re. taking Step 3. I hope to do it myself but I need to make sure I know I'll pass it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This whole process is a mind game lol. Just received a Christmas card from a program I really liked, and I know I should not look too much into it, but it does make you question the intent. And to think, there is still 3 months left till we find out if we have even matched... so grueling :/

Reactions: 1 user

I can't speak for J1 related visas/interviews.

Step 3 is not a big thing. It's more of a 'oh that's nice' if you have it and have passed. Step 2 CK and Step 1 scores matter a lot more. I would get more clinical experience if possible in the interim. Interview invites are all out at this point pretty much. I have seen applicants send a 'I'm really interested if any interview spots open up and I'm local/can fill it in because I'd love to get to know your program, etc' and get an invite that way if there's a last minute cancellation.

Scary how quiet this is compared to IM. Apparently some in IM are even getting IVs today; I was expecting silence from programs until after the new year.

Well guys...
It seems like the interview season came to an end (although I continue to receive rejections)
I just wanted to say that it felt good to log in the nrmp and create my potential rank order list with my number 1 in there even with the few options that I got this cycle. We worked hard and will continue to do so, hopefully all of us in this thread match and match in our preferred places! We got this! Stay positive! The match is just around the corner!

Reactions: 3 users
Very true, way too early.

I think this number is a bit on the low side, more like 700-800.

Also very true, my middle-aged eyes tire after the 10th application from someone who "took care of my grandma as she died of cancer, which solidified my desire to help people" essay crap. Or the 20th application from someone with volunteer experience at the homeless shelter. Or the 50th application from the past president of the Orthopedic Surgery club, and the secretary of the Dermatology club, who found family medicine was their true passion (after scoring poorly on boards, that is).

It's hard to figure out who really is worth considering for an interview.

Not an issue, we have filters that filter all the crappy applications out, so we don't have to deal with them. Out of 800 applications, we end up with about 200 after filters are applied.

Yes, indeed, we're human and have other things to do. Be aware that the application season is extremely busy for all of us (staff, directors, etc.) so be polite and respect our time. If you have a less than stellar application, don't call us after we reject you. You're wasting staff's valuable time, and it makes all of us very cranky. Leave it alone, and move on. If I was more tech savvy I would insert here a mini movie of Rambo holding a knife to the sheriff's neck and saying "let it go...let it go..." (look it up on You Tube).

We really, really try to remember this, but it's hard. It happens every year, and as soon as it's over it seems that it starts all over again right after it ended.

It's a busy time, and we need to fit all that extra work on top of all the other stuff we need to do (residency goes on for all residents, we can't just put everything on hold to deal with the application season).

The take home is this:

- If you're an IMG with a good application, relax, it's too early to worry.

- If you're an IMG with a poor application, wait and see what happens, don't call programs and bug them. Honestly, DON'T CALL PROGRAMS. You'll piss off the staff and decrease your chances even further.

If you could hang out at our admissions office during the application cycle you would totally understand. The phone rings NON-STOP and our overworked staff hates it. Sometimes they don't even pick up the phone and just go through the voice mail (delete...delete...delete). This is a huge time-waster.

I was wondering,,,do you guys all have multiple LORs from FM docs? I have 1 from FM docs and 2 from primary care physicians that are certified in IM, and 1 from radiology that specifically says I am interested in FM,, but do you think it makes a difference in soap whether I get an additional FM letter for soap at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering,,,do you guys all have multiple LORs from FM docs? I have 1 from FM docs and 2 from primary care physicians that are certified in IM, and 1 from radiology that specifically says I am interested in FM,, but do you think it makes a difference in soap whether I get an additional FM letter for soap at this point?

I don't think it really matters. As long as you have all strong LORs and one of them is from a FM doc.

So, season is ending in a few days?

Hello everyone! I'm a US IMG, and new to this thread. I wanted to know if anyone here has some information or feedback about the FM program at JFK Medical Center, in Edison NJ? I received a last minute interview from them, it's in February actually and my only interview. Thank you so much in advance!

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I'm a US IMG, and new to this thread. I wanted to know if anyone here has some information or feedback about the FM program at JFK Medical Center, in Edison NJ? I received a last minute interview from them, it's in February actually and my only interview. Thank you so much in advance!
Congrats!!!! Good luck and I hope you absolutely wow your interviewers. I don't have any info about JFK medical center but I do have general advice which might be useful.
I too have had only one interview and I used the following resources: the program website (naturally), http://www.city-data.com/ (to get info about the program patient demographics), https://soulsearch.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/64interviewquestions1.pdf (to get a general idea about how to sell confidence positively). I hope this helps!

So, its 9 days left until ROL deadline. And around 28 days until Match week. Goodluck to ALL.

So, its 9 days left until ROL deadline. And around 28 days until Match week. Goodluck to ALL.
I started studying for step 3 but for some reason i can't focus on that at all...all i can think of is march 11..
The wait is deff not easy..

Reactions: 1 users
I started studying for step 3 but for some reason i can't focus on that at all...all i can think of is march 11..
The wait is deff not easy..

The wait isn't easy at all. I try to do things and get busy e.g paper work, just about anything I can do.. Well, Good luck to all

I applied to 115 FM and 51 IM
My credential
Step 1 229(2nd, Dec 2016)
Step CS Pass(2nd, Mar 2017)
Step CK 243(1st, Jun 2017)
Step 3 218(1st, Dec 2017)
YOG:2016
6 Months USCE
4 US LOR(2 FM, 1 primary care IM, 1 emergency, all from a rural hospital this year)

Hi there, I have similar credentials (except less USCE and more research experience). How did your application turn out? How many interviews did you get? Thanks!

The wait isn't easy at all. I try to do things and get busy e.g paper work, just about anything I can do.. Well, Good luck to all
I even put a countdown on my phone...never done this with the exact # of days, hours, minutes, seconds...

Just a question, after certifying ROL do we need to do anything else? Or will it auto-submit after 5 days?

Just a question, after certifying ROL do we need to do anything else? Or will it auto-submit after 5 days?
Certified means it is submitted. They only keep last certified list on file. So no, nothing else is required.

Congrats!!!! Good luck and I hope you absolutely wow your interviewers. I don't have any info about JFK medical center but I do have general advice which might be useful.
I too have had only one interview and I used the following resources: the program website (naturally), http://www.city-data.com/ (to get info about the program patient demographics), https://soulsearch.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/64interviewquestions1.pdf (to get a general idea about how to sell confidence positively). I hope this helps!

I can't believe I forgot to thank you for such great tips!! My interview went well, hoping I stood out enough because all of the applicants interviewing with me that day were really nice. Once again, thank you so much for your help and I wish everyone on this thread good luck for the match!! Hope you all match into your top choice!

Hello everyone! Wishing you all the best and I hope everyone matches! It's been a long arduous road to get to this point. It is hard to not wake up everyday and think about the stress that this causes us. However, please make sure you reach out to your friends and family in these next few weeks.

It's a stressful time, so do not be afraid to ask for help. If you know people who are also in the process, send them a message and check on them too. Remember, your mental health is important! We often neglect ourselves and submit ourselves to be sucked into a miserable cycle of anxiety. Seek professional help if you need to, don't be afraid! Again, I hope you all match and let's keep our fingers crossed!

Reactions: 4 users
I can't believe I forgot to thank you for such great tips!! My interview went well, hoping I stood out enough because all of the applicants interviewing with me that day were really nice. Once again, thank you so much for your help and I wish everyone on this thread good luck for the match!! Hope you all match into your top choice!

Awesome! You're very welcome. Good luck to you too!

Man, Anxiety starting tomorrow is so much greater than waiting for interviews, waiting for USMLE scores to be reported!.... This is nutts!

I don't have to do anything else if it says "Applicant Status: Certified, fee status: paid, and verification status: verified" right?

I don't have to do anything else if it says "Applicant Status: Certified, fee status: paid, and verification status: verified" right?

Correct, nothing else is needed. I just double checked myself. Good luck!

Best of Luck guys... Hope everyone gets what they want.... Anyone still active here and share about things?

Reactions: 2 users
Best of Luck guys... Hope everyone gets what they want.... Anyone still active here and share about things?
I'm still around. Binge watching Netflix and getting ready for a March externship. What about you guys?

So far I have watched Schindler's List, Black Earth Rising and the Great British Family Cooking Showdown. :thumbup: I'm spending a-lot of time with family too. It turns out they are pretty awesome people.

I hope March 11th is good news for everybody. Life happens in between so I hope we enjoy it whilst we can. :)

So far I have watched Schindler's List, Black Earth Rising and the Great British Family Cooking Showdown. :thumbup: I'm spending a-lot of time with family too. It turns out they are pretty awesome people.

I hope March 11th is good news for everybody. Life happens in between so I hope we enjoy it whilst we can. :)

Yup. Never forget what matters most Family. :) Lately, been trying to lose weight and hitting the gym more often. Gotta get those endorphins in. haha, cleaning my apartment, less and less TV/Netflix for me.. Got to do some work related stuff done haha

Incredibly anxious! Step 3 prep sort of helps in keeping me distracted, but whenever I'm not studying or eating/exercising/bingewatching shows/sleeping, I'm microanalyzing my chances of matching. You name the NRMP stat document, I've looked through it haha. These 3 weeks couldnt go by any slower! Good luck everyone!

Incredibly anxious! Step 3 prep sort of helps in keeping me distracted, but whenever I'm not studying or eating/exercising/bingewatching shows/sleeping, I'm microanalyzing my chances of matching. You name the NRMP stat document, I've looked through it haha. These 3 weeks couldnt go by any slower! Good luck everyone!

Same. But i tend to control breathing and try to relax.... Seems this anxiety is causing Paroxysmal bouts of Atrial Fibrillations. hahahahahha... But reality is setting in though, its 8 days to go.

:whistle: Yup. Microanalysis and reading forums. :) Good luck with the Step 3 prep!

Same. But i tend to control breathing and try to relax.... Seems this anxiety is causing Paroxysmal bouts of Atrial Fibrillations. hahahahahha... But reality is setting in though, its 8 days to go.

Lol. D-5 now. I'm going into Match Week with one rank. I'm trying to enjoy not knowing whilst I can. I really really hope things work out though!

Congrats, Major procrastinator and Hushhush88, how many ranks do u certify? Now I really wish I was up earlier

These are some SOAP preparation links that may be useful. I hope none of us have to go through it, but I also hope we are fully prepared just in case. Best of luck on Monday you guys. Don't forget daylight savings time!

10hrs and 25 minutes to go.. This is driving my SA node insane.

Lol. D-5 now. I'm going into Match Week with one rank. I'm trying to enjoy not knowing whilst I can. I really really hope things work out though!
High five! Same here, one rank. 9 more hours!! Good luck everyone!

These are some SOAP preparation links that may be useful. I hope none of us have to go through it, but I also hope we are fully prepared just in case. Best of luck on Monday you guys. Don't forget daylight savings time!

Thank you so much!

I wish everyone the best of luck and hope you match :D