IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2019

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by Guyton&Hall, Sep 19, 2018.

1. jacobus1919

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone have any news from SUNY UPState? not ST Joseph

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. meimg

They are apparently done with sending invites. All the slots filled up fast. Someone said on one of the whatsapp groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jacobus1919

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thank you for your response.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pukraa

Dr. RK likes this.
  5. kiddo19

my ECFMG certification got delayed, I got it around Nov 30th, I know it's a crucial piece for J1 related IVs I guess, u think people get IVs in December ?? What difference does it make if I do step 3 and apply next year ?

6. Dr. RK

Honestly, I'm not the best person to ask since I'm a total newbie myself.
    There are some anecdotes that people do get a few ii's in December but I'm personally prepping for SOAP. Good luck though!
    Again, advice varies re. taking Step 3. I hope to do it myself but I need to make sure I know I'll pass it.

7. hushhush88

2+ Year Member

Tuscaloosa program - waitlist :-(

8. sararazavi

This whole process is a mind game lol. Just received a Christmas card from a program I really liked, and I know I should not look too much into it, but it does make you question the intent. And to think, there is still 3 months left till we find out if we have even matched... so grueling :/

Dr. RK likes this.
  9. Ironheme

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I can't speak for J1 related visas/interviews.

Step 3 is not a big thing. It's more of a 'oh that's nice' if you have it and have passed. Step 2 CK and Step 1 scores matter a lot more. I would get more clinical experience if possible in the interim. Interview invites are all out at this point pretty much. I have seen applicants send a 'I'm really interested if any interview spots open up and I'm local/can fill it in because I'd love to get to know your program, etc' and get an invite that way if there's a last minute cancellation.

10. Dr. RK

Rejection: Conroe Lone Star Residency, Texas

11. powerland

Scary how quiet this is compared to IM. Apparently some in IM are even getting IVs today; I was expecting silence from programs until after the new year.

12. Shiruzen

ya.. im sitting at 0 for both im and fm

13. hushhush88

2+ Year Member

Rejection - Robert Wood Centrastate

14. brunettee

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well guys...
    It seems like the interview season came to an end (although I continue to receive rejections)
    I just wanted to say that it felt good to log in the nrmp and create my potential rank order list with my number 1 in there even with the few options that I got this cycle. We worked hard and will continue to do so, hopefully all of us in this thread match and match in our preferred places! We got this! Stay positive! The match is just around the corner!

15. Doctor#1

16. Jennadoc

Resident [Any Field]
    I was wondering,,,do you guys all have multiple LORs from FM docs? I have 1 from FM docs and 2 from primary care physicians that are certified in IM, and 1 from radiology that specifically says I am interested in FM,, but do you think it makes a difference in soap whether I get an additional FM letter for soap at this point?

17. Hardedge

Medical Student
    I don't think it really matters. As long as you have all strong LORs and one of them is from a FM doc.

18. jacobus1919

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So, season is ending in a few days?

Hardedge likes this.
  19. lavenderflowers

2+ Year Member

Hello everyone! I'm a US IMG, and new to this thread. I wanted to know if anyone here has some information or feedback about the FM program at JFK Medical Center, in Edison NJ? I received a last minute interview from them, it's in February actually and my only interview. Thank you so much in advance!

#569 lavenderflowers, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  20. Dr. RK

Congrats!!!! Good luck and I hope you absolutely wow your interviewers. I don't have any info about JFK medical center but I do have general advice which might be useful.
    I too have had only one interview and I used the following resources: the program website (naturally), http://www.city-data.com/ (to get info about the program patient demographics), https://soulsearch.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/64interviewquestions1.pdf (to get a general idea about how to sell confidence positively). I hope this helps!

21. jacobus1919

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So, its 9 days left until ROL deadline. And around 28 days until Match week. Goodluck to ALL.

22. brunettee

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I started studying for step 3 but for some reason i can't focus on that at all...all i can think of is march 11..
    The wait is deff not easy..

woodpenny and hushhush88 like this.
  23. hushhush88

2+ Year Member

Same here!!!

24. hushhush88

2+ Year Member

Hi! I have a question regarding Meharry. How can I send you a PM? It wont let me.

25. jacobus1919

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The wait isn't easy at all. I try to do things and get busy e.g paper work, just about anything I can do.. Well, Good luck to all

Major procrastinator likes this.
  26. DrGoT

Hi there, I have similar credentials (except less USCE and more research experience). How did your application turn out? How many interviews did you get? Thanks!

27. brunettee

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I even put a countdown on my phone...never done this with the exact # of days, hours, minutes, seconds...

28. jacobus1919

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just a question, after certifying ROL do we need to do anything else? Or will it auto-submit after 5 days?

29. Major procrastinator

Major procrastinator SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Certified means it is submitted. They only keep last certified list on file. So no, nothing else is required.

Riseup2it likes this.
  30. lavenderflowers

2+ Year Member

I can't believe I forgot to thank you for such great tips!! My interview went well, hoping I stood out enough because all of the applicants interviewing with me that day were really nice. Once again, thank you so much for your help and I wish everyone on this thread good luck for the match!! Hope you all match into your top choice!

Dr. RK likes this.
  31. Riseup2it

Hello everyone! Wishing you all the best and I hope everyone matches! It's been a long arduous road to get to this point. It is hard to not wake up everyday and think about the stress that this causes us. However, please make sure you reach out to your friends and family in these next few weeks.

It's a stressful time, so do not be afraid to ask for help. If you know people who are also in the process, send them a message and check on them too. Remember, your mental health is important! We often neglect ourselves and submit ourselves to be sucked into a miserable cycle of anxiety. Seek professional help if you need to, don't be afraid! Again, I hope you all match and let's keep our fingers crossed!

32. Dr. RK

Awesome! You're very welcome. Good luck to you too!

lavenderflowers likes this.
  33. jacobus1919

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Man, Anxiety starting tomorrow is so much greater than waiting for interviews, waiting for USMLE scores to be reported!.... This is nutts!

freakeenyc and hushhush88 like this.
  34. felixmd12

I don't have to do anything else if it says "Applicant Status: Certified, fee status: paid, and verification status: verified" right?

35. Dr. RK

Correct, nothing else is needed. I just double checked myself. Good luck!

felixmd12 likes this.
  36. felixmd12

Thanks! You too !

37. jacobus1919

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Best of Luck guys... Hope everyone gets what they want.... Anyone still active here and share about things?

brunettee likes this.