IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thats good to know. They have a new hospital opening as well, which is cool. Do you have any tips?

I think you should definitely apply there since you met so many of them, and then contact them. Let them know how much you enjoyed meeting and being there. When you have connections all the other stuff goes out the window. Or are your talking about a residency fair?

Yeah I met them through a fair and then again at another event. I did apply but knew going in they likely wouldn’t compromise on scores (new program, I get it). I think I already got a rejection from them I don’t remember lol. Their people are cool though so it’ll be cool to read about your IV experience there if you choose to post it :)

I’m hoping for good news this coming week guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you look at the date someone applies?
When is the latest date you recommend we add on programs? I was thinking this week, since It seems as though a lot of programs have just started the process.
I did rotations in asthma, allergy, and immuno. While it is a IM subspeciality it something seen in primary care on a daily basis, will FM programs recognize this? Would they recognize IM rotation with clinic as a rotation towards primary care?

Thank you

I don't look at the date someone applies.

IM rotations will typically be recognized as useful by FM programs, since the two specialties overlap quite a bit.

Reactions: 1 users
Univ of Alabama - Wait list. Do we have to do do anything to programs that send we are kept on wait list? Is their possibility of getting IV?

Members don't see this ad :)
Univ of Alabama - Wait list. Do we have to do do anything to programs that send we are kept on wait list? Is their possibility of getting IV?
Hi !!! Can you please specify which program in University of Alabama, location ??

Reactions: 1 user

they like your application but have already max'ed out their interview spots, if there is any cancellations you will be notified for an interview, what % chance that it happens I have no idea, maybe 40% if i were to guess

Congrats MP!! Happy for you! I hope i get my 1st IV this week :(

Reactions: 3 users
I didn't get any IVS. I'm so worried. When is the best time to email programs? or should I wait?

Got an interview last night around 10:30pm EST from Genesys in Michigan. I was shocked they sent an interview that late lol :)

Got an interview last night around 10:30pm EST from Genesys in Michigan. I was shocked they sent an interview that late lol :)
Congrats!! Would you mind sharing your credentials? I didnt apply there because of 2 year cut off

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Great! I wonder whats happening with my application. Did you email the program prior? Thanks. Enjoy your IV

Hi guys, I'm a Canadian who studied in a Caribbean med school
Step 1: 203
Step 2 CK: 216
Step 2 CS: Pass
all first attempts, no other failures throughout med school
Step 3: planing for next month
YOG: Nov 2017
Visa needed

Rejections: A lot :unsure:
Interviews: None so far :(

I am getting very nervous and stressing myself out. Did anyone with similar credentials get interviews and is there anything I can do to up my chances of getting noticed?

I would also like to know your credentials please! Congrats btw!

Sure. And thank you!:) Step are 230s. CS pass. All 1st attempt. US-IMG. 1.5 years research + 1 US publication. Some observerships and month externship. 3 US LORs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are a solid applicant! You should ger alot more invites. When is your YoG?

I would also like to know your credentials please! Congrats btw!

It's posted earlier in the thread but Step 1 200, CK 226, CS pass. YOG Nov 2018. And thanks again!

Great! I wonder whats happening with my application. Did you email the program prior? Thanks. Enjoy your IV

No I didn't email the program prior. It wasn't one of top areas to go to haha :/

It's posted earlier in the thread but Step 1 200, CK 226, CS pass. YOG Nov 2018. And thanks again!

My bad I figured it was posted somewhere I just couldn’t find it lol.

Your credentials are not toooo far from mine so that gives me hope. So many places have a 200/220 cutoff for each exam and I’m one point below each yikes. I also finish school November of this year! Are you a California accredited Caribbean student?

My bad I figured it was posted somewhere I just couldn’t find it lol.

Your credentials are not toooo far from mine so that gives me hope. So many places have a 200/220 cutoff for each exam and I’m one point below each yikes. I also finish school November of this year! Are you a California accredited Caribbean student?

Yeah I'm from Ross University :) I'm sure you'll be fine. If you don't hear anything near the end of this week, I would send emails to programs!

NEW HERE, Old IMG, Grad yr 1998
Scores (all first time pass) wierd combination of scores, i know.
stp1 200
stp2 262
stp2cs pass
stp3 218

3IV
1 Supplementary application
No rejections

I didnt apply until 30Sept, i think I might have missed the boat on a lot of programs. applied 64 programs.

Reactions: 3 users
NEW HERE, Old IMG, Grad yr 1998
Scores (all first time pass) wierd combination of scores, i know.
stp1 200
stp2 262
stp2cs pass
stp3 218

3IV
1 Supplementary application
No rejections

I didnt apply until 30Sept, i think I might have missed the boat on a lot of programs. applied 64 programs.
Congrats! Would you mind sharing where you got IVs?

Any updates in regards on programs from Upstate of NY, and Illinois?

Nope haven't heard anything except that they are reviewing at my application at Wyoming (Cheyenne).

+ WVU + mercy health (Illinois)

rejections from hennepin and mayo (rochester)

Hi guys, I'm a Canadian IMG from a school not on the California list
Step 1: 228
Step 2 CK: 223
Step 3: planing for early next year
YOG: September 2018
J1 Visa Required

4 LORs: 1 from Family, 1 IM, 1 GI and 1 OB/GYN

I applied to 93 programs with mostly the ones that have greater than 30% IMGs.

Only red flag I see is that I took about 9 months break in between my rotations in order to do Step 2 CS and CK. I explained that in my application.

Rejections: A lot of rejection so far
Interviews: No interviews but only one program that put me on hold

I am getting really nervous. I'm just wondering if I should email programs and show my interest or not. Some people are also suggesting that I apply to more programs but isn't it to late for that already?

Hi guys, I'm a Canadian IMG from a school not on the California list
Step 1: 228
Step 2 CK: 223
Step 3: planing for early next year
YOG: September 2018
J1 Visa Required

4 LORs: 1 from Family, 1 IM, 1 GI and 1 OB/GYN

I applied to 93 programs with mostly the ones that have greater than 30% IMGs.

Only red flag I see is that I took about 9 months break in between my rotations in order to do Step 2 CS and CK. I explained that in my application.

Rejections: A lot of rejection so far
Interviews: No interviews but only one program that put me on hold

I am getting really nervous. I'm just wondering if I should email programs and show my interest or not. Some people are also suggesting that I apply to more programs but isn't it to late for that already?
Hey pk. I am also a canadian IMG from a school not on the CA list. My credentials are almost identical to yours, i also graduated this year and I have one research presentation. I have about 10 rejections, 5 acknowledgements and 1 program also put me on hold. I am in the same boat as you and am also very anxious. PM me if you want and we can talk.

Hey pk. I am also a canadian IMG from a school not on the CA list. My credentials are almost identical to yours, i also graduated this year and I have one research presentation. I have about 10 rejections, 5 acknowledgements and 1 program also put me on hold. I am in the same boat as you and am also very anxious. PM me if you want and we can talk.

Hey sure. Have you been emailing programs?

@Shinken
Thoughts on thank you emails post interview? Who would it be ideal to send it to? PD + who else?

So you think it is best to wait until next week to email programs you are really interested in?
As an IMG I think that is my best option. The last thing I want to do is email the programs I'm most interested in too early and have them be irritated. I'm resisting the urge because I really do want to email them, but I think the safer option is to wait until October 15th hits, see what happens, and then start emailing once I realize that I am truly screwed

As an IMG I think that is my best option. The last thing I want to do is email the programs I'm most interested in too early and have them be irritated. I'm resisting the urge because I really do want to email them, but I think the safer option is to wait until October 15th hits, see what happens, and then start emailing once I realize that I am truly screwed

I'm unfamiliar with the important dates. Is October 15th important?
If there isn't much feedback after that is that when I should really be worried?

So, end of next week would be October 19th?? Would that be a safe option then?

I'm unfamiliar with the important dates. Is October 15th important?
If there isn't much feedback after that is that when I should really be worried?
Basically from what I've heard is that most IMGs of our caliber receive invites mid-end of october. But this is my first time in this process so even I don't really know how much of this stuff is even correct :(

So, end of next week would be October 19th?? Would that be a safe option then?
In my opinion, yes. American grads are already sending out those emails but that is because majority of them have already received most of their invites. I think it is safer for IMGs (especially non-US IMGs) to wait until October 20-30ish just because according to most people, we will receive the bulk of our invites around then.

In my opinion, yes. American grads are already sending out those emails but that is because majority of them have already received most of their invites. I think it is safer for IMGs (especially non-US IMGs) to wait until October 20-30ish just because according to most people, we will receive the bulk of our invites around then.

Thank you...

Rejection after rejection after rejection...I can’t take it anymore. This process is depressing :/

Rejection after rejection after rejection...I can’t take it anymore. This process is depressing :/

Would it be okay if you shared which programs sent rejections??

Nothing Yet for me and i've honestly lost all hope ... I gave this career everything that i've had and it's time to move on . i've sacrificed my marriage, gave up my business , 10 years of my youth , time away from loved ones during their hardest time etc... it's a shame because i have no doubt that i would've became a great Physician . Good luck to you all .

Nothing Yet for me and i've honestly lost all hope ... I gave this career everything that i've had and it's time to move on . i've sacrificed my marriage, gave up my business , 10 years of my youth , time away from loved ones during their hardest time etc... it's a shame because i have no doubt that i would've became a great Physician . Good luck to you all .

Goodluck to you as well sir. Your post got me thinking about real life things. Been so caught up with this match process. I already forgot what really matters and what I already have... Thank you for reminding me. Goodluck everyone for the match.

Reactions: 2 users