IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an invite this week from Michigan State/ Sparrow program .. Hoping More start to roll in this coming weeks .

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I received an invite this week from Michigan State/ Sparrow program .. Hoping More start to roll in this coming weeks .

Great! Do you require visa though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection from University of Minnesota St. Cloud.

rejection Riverside/UCR family med
rejection Umass worcester via email

Last edited:
0 invites, 2 waitlists, 20+ rejections :boom:

Every time I get an AAMC email I’m like aight who rejected me now?

Lol. Haha. Sameeeeee.

Still 0 invites, 4 Rejections this is out of 100 applications. Is it still early? Or are FM programs ghosting people? Or are they still thinking of who to invite?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard anything for the past couple of weeks. Got a rejection just now from a program in Wisconsin, don't even remember applying to it. Don't drink and apply.

I'm gunna email a couple of program directors and see if that gets me anywhere. I'll let you guys know what happens :ninja:

Hello Canadians, did you get your NAC score today? Nothing from US :-(

IV's have slowed down for me.

Got an additional three since my last post here.

Got one from VCU I want to say, two days ago?, and I will call them Monday to schedule. I was thinking things were slowing down in terms of interviews but they're slowly coming in. Some programs take time with who they invite, and it shows in their messages too.

Like for example one program has a two step -> phone then in person IV process. I was told I've been scheduled for phone but no updates yet. They have hundreds upon hundreds of apps to sort through so just chill.

Also getting my step score back, and rocking it, has surely helped me. If any of you are out there trying to get more IV recognition pls take this exam and ace it already...

Been hearing a lot of mixed news regarding FM invites. Some say all ivs have been sent including rejections. But some say it isnt even 50%. Whats the real score with regards to invites??

Been hearing a lot of mixed news regarding FM invites. Some say all ivs have been sent including rejections. But some say it isnt even 50%. Whats the real score with regards to invites??

Only if anyone knew. My take on this is that the only ones left are now non-us imgs who should be next in coming 2-3 weeks. Visas have obviously been a very large factor in the last few years.

Only if anyone knew. My take on this is that the only ones left are now non-us imgs who should be next in coming 2-3 weeks. Visas have obviously been a very large factor in the last few years.

I truly hope so that non-US IMG would have the opportunity to get invites during the next 2-3 weeks or more.. It has been so silent these past 4 weeks not even anything from ERAS.

I don't think this is a good idea, unless you want to annoy people.

Been there, done that, now seeing it, also getting annoyed lol.
yeah that was just my suggestion, to each their own. Personally I did this and have gotten 5 IVs that way. Some might get annoyed but everyone is different. At a certain point you have to be proactive, sitting there praying wont really help.

yeah that was just my suggestion, to each their own. Personally I did this and have gotten 5 IVs that way. Some might get annoyed but everyone is different. At a certain point you have to be proactive, sitting there praying wont really help.

n=1.

I'm glad you got some interviews, but realistically speaking, you aren't able to see the other side of the coin, which is "how many iv's did you lose" because of it?

on a side note, Alex Ovechkin is bad-ass

n=1.

I'm glad you got some interviews, but realistically speaking, you aren't able to see the other side of the coin, which is "how many iv's did you lose" because of it?
I agree with you, I have no idea if I lost any.

It was just my suggestion to help people.

Reactions: 1 users
some of the PD's take either a positive or a neutral stance when it comes to LOI's (at least from what I've seen on this forum), if you see it as a negative, then I'm sure that some others do as well
I understand that LOI's can be annoying for some, I can imagine the inbox of PD's and PC's being filled with hundreds of these letters, however it to me it seems cruel to punish someone simply for showing interest in the program

Reactions: 2 users
some of the PD's take either a positive or a neutral stance when it comes to LOI's (at least from what I've seen on this forum), if you see it as a negative, then I'm sure that some others do as well
I understand that LOI's can be annoying for some, I can imagine the inbox of PD's and PC's being filled with hundreds of these letters, however it to me it seems cruel to punish someone simply for showing interest in the program

I understand the intentions behind it, but this is what the personal statement is for. Imagine if 25% of the applicant pool emailed LOI's, or even 10%, that's probably around 50-125 EXTRA emails.

PD's typically have other things to do, i.e. actually go through applications, not to mention the whole function of running the program.

Just my two cents.

Yes, Ovi is a beast!

I understand the intentions behind it, but this is what the personal statement is for. Imagine if 25% of the applicant pool emailed LOI's, or even 10%, that's probably around 50-125 EXTRA emails.

PD's typically have other things to do, i.e. actually go through applications, not to mention the whole function of running the program.

Just my two cents.

Yes, Ovi is a beast!
Do you feel differently about an attending emailing you on behalf of a candidate? I guess thats what LORs are for

Got another today.

As for LOI’s I don’t do them. Well actually, I will do one for a waitlist I’ve been placed on. Otherwise...I’ll agree with the previous poster in that: it may yield some, but deter others.

Even fam med is swamped with apps this year. PC’s are decked. Adding to that doesn’t seem like my cup of tea. I sent in my app...they know I’m interested!

IV's have slowed down for me.

Got an additional three since my last post here.

Got one from VCU I want to say, two days ago?, and I will call them Monday to schedule. I was thinking things were slowing down in terms of interviews but they're slowly coming in. Some programs take time with who they invite, and it shows in their messages too.

Like for example one program has a two step -> phone then in person IV process. I was told I've been scheduled for phone but no updates yet. They have hundreds upon hundreds of apps to sort through so just chill.

Also getting my step score back, and rocking it, has surely helped me. If any of you are out there trying to get more IV recognition pls take this exam and ace it already...

Congrats on your interviews, are you talking about Step 3 exam?

LOIs havent done much for me besides helping me reconnect with a couple of PDs from the KC conference I’d already had good conversations with. I didn’t send out many LOIs though because I do feel super annoying adding to the mountain lol.

Is there an FM IMG thread from last year? Would be nice to see when people were getting IVs last year. It’s been so slow.

Last edited:

Just my two cents.

Yes, Ovi is a beast!

since you mentioned PS, what are your thoughts on applicants having a program specific PS? say, the last paragraph of their PS explaining why they are interested in your program specifically

since you mentioned PS, what are your thoughts on applicants having a program specific PS? say, the last paragraph of their PS explaining why they are interested in your program specifically

Probably the X factor, if you've got local ties its great to mention it as it helps to sort easier.

Probably the X factor, if you've got local ties its great to mention it as it helps to sort easier.
wow, so it is true. It makes a big difference. Make sense to me. How many people take time to personliaze 150-300 programs? I am sure AMGs do it consider they apply to 20-30