IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arafatni

MR.NOBODY
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I didn't see one for this year. lets get things started. I know there is a Reddit spreadsheet but there is not much img there. Plus people post there don't mention where they got an interview or where they are in the process. My credentials: USIMG, Carribean top 5, 21x (1st attempt) /22x (1st attempt)/CS PASS first time /no failure in my transcript. still waiting for my ECFMG to get completed. graduated a week ago. USCE for 2 years. 3 US LOR ( one from a PD) and one research LOR. Si, Habla Espanol. attended AAFP. one gap year doing research published 1 and did 3 abstracts. applied broadly, since looking for a program to meet my needs. Plus, I am super flexible and love seeing new places.

Acknowledgment: mayo(Rochester), the University of Iowa( secondary), Sutter Santa Rosa, UC riverside, Scripps, uni of Wisconsin ( bamboo), Borrego Community health, valley consortium medical education, Stamford / Columbia college of medicine program, dignity health methodist

Rejection: Hennepin, Yakima farm valley, advocate Illinois masonic, cox health

Interview: Hackensack (palisades)

please share the experience so far to help with the insanity we are experiencing so far.

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
6 rejects: cox health, Kaiser, u Arizona, contra costa, trident, Guthrie packer
1 invite in PA

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have not heard anything so far no acknowledgments nor rejections? Should I be worried.

Congratulations!!!!!! on the interview in Pennsylvania. do you mind asking you your credentials? also from where you receive your interview?

I’m not actually an IMG but figured I would post here since I left residency due to family illness and reapplying for Match. USMD
Step 1 first pass 22xs
Step 2 first pass 21x, CK
Step 3 first pass
Working as MD in US this year.

2 rejections 0 acknowledgements last week. Nothing yet this week. Is no news good news?

i got 2 invites today one from Cali ( through my research work) and the other Washington ( really dont know why they picked me)

I’m not actually an IMG but figured I would post here since I left residency due to family illness and reapplying for Match. USMD
Step 1 first pass 22xs
Step 3 first pass

oh USMD no problem... best of luck this match. I am just surprised you already took your step 3. with those credentials I dont see why you wouldn't match family.

Have not heard anything so far no acknowledgments nor rejections? Should I be worried.
No it is random most invites come October . You should worry after October- I would even go as far mid November ..... so don’t worry relax and your time will come . Are you non-Us img? If yes For them I would say wait till December .

No it is random most invites come October . You should worry after October- I would even go as far mid November ..... so don’t worry relax and your time will come . Are you non-Us img? If yes For them I would say wait till December .
Yes non US IMG, from canada. S1 202 S2 214 CS Passed first attempt. Have 13 months of US clinical experience. Worked 10 months in Chicago and 3 months at tufts medical school. YOG 2019, ECFMG Certified. Due to my scores I am super nervous! But thank you for the reassurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright guys, I need some perspective. Let a brotha know what my odds are. I applied to 100 FM programs

Rejection from Deaconess and Tallahassee memorial. Radio silence since then

US-IMG (Caribbean)-2017 Graduate
Step 1: 200 (first attempt)
Step 2 CK: 211 (on THIRD attempt; had a bunch of shyt go down and messed up. I should have just waited to take it but I was an idiot)
Step 2 CS: PASS (first attempt)
Step 3: 196 (first attempt)

Never been a good standardized test taker but I always seem to dominate "regular" exams.

No research ( I HATE it)
Got all HONORS on my rotations and never failed a class
I have 3 masters degrees (MBA, MHA, MS)
4 LOR's (OBGYN, Peds, FM, and Anesthesia)
Had 2 LOA's (both related to running out of money during medical school because I was paying cash)

1st IV . . Prince George Hospital Center.

7 YOG. . with an attempt in CS

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I also got interview in Prince George's, also attempt on CS. YOG 3

I really do not understand how they select candidates. It all seems so random at this point...

Step 1 first pass 22xs
Step 3 first pass

Had you completed your intern year before you left?

Alright guys, I need some perspective. Let a brotha know what my odds are. I applied to 100 FM programs

Rejection from Deaconess and Tallahassee memorial. Radio silence since then

US-IMG (Caribbean)-2017 Graduate
Step 1: 200 (first attempt)
Step 2 CK: 211 (on THIRD attempt; had a bunch of shyt go down and messed up. I should have just waited to take it but I was an idiot)
Step 2 CS: PASS (first attempt)
Step 3: 196 (first attempt)

Never been a good standardized test taker but I always seem to dominate "regular" exams.

No research ( I HATE it)
Got all HONORS on my rotations and never failed a class
I have 3 masters degrees (MBA, MHA, MS)
4 LOR's (OBGYN, Peds, FM, and Anesthesia)
Had 2 LOA's (both related to running out of money during medical school because I was paying cash)

Not gonna lie this is hard.... I am the same boat with standardized exams. I scored 20 points below my predicated on step 2. you need to be proactive to where applied. email each program and let them know why you liked them and be specific. no general answers. like what patient population they have , anything unique, anything the program focuses on. good luck !!!

congratulations on prince George inv... got an invite for mercy health Illinois today in rockford

Not gonna lie this is hard.... I am the same boat with standardized exams. I scored 20 points below my predicated on step 2. you need to be proactive to where applied. email each program and let them know why you liked them and be specific. no general answers. like what patient population they have , anything unique, anything the program focuses on. good luck !!!
Thank you for the info! This situation sucks because I know I’m more than these standardized test. Just hoping some program directors see that so that I can move on. I wish you the best of luck in the match! Let’s hope we match!

Hey yall gluck. Applying to FM/IM this year reapplicant from last year. 228/229/223/CS pass. NONUSIMG visa neeed. YOG 2018. 2 years USCE.

so far no invites, 1 soft rejection Texas Tech Amarillo (well they said application on hold for some people).

That makes a total of 3! That’s awesome, I don’t think you’ll have trouble matching, you have no red flags

i got 2 invites today one from Cali ( through my research work) and the other Washington ( really dont know why they picked me)

I really do not understand how they select candidates. It all seems so random at this point...

The same thing we all look for - nice, good co-workers to be around and someone that will represent the program well during and after residency. First part is the screening - do you meet the basic requirements the program is looking (step scores, YOG, etc). Once past that, the apps start going through the committee. There are a LOT of applications so programs are still going through them. You would expect to get some invites by early to mid-October.

For every red flag (delayed YOG, step failures, etc) in your application, I would apply to more programs and pay attention to the requirements. If you have no FM letters that's not great either. See if your letter writers can tailor it to family med. If they say 'please tell us why our program' in your personal statement, then do that. If they have residents that graduated from your med school, you can try to reach out to that resident about why you're really interested in the program. That is hit or miss (don't do this to programs that explicitly say do not contact us).

Some applicants wonder why they don't get invites when they have poor letters of rec (ones with 2 sentences that say applicant showed up), write how they love OB/gyn in their family med personal statement, or all their experience is tailored around peds. Those are common sense. We want people that want us.

For the apps that fall in the middle - so so board scores, maybe one red flag, decent LoRs and clinical experience or you're an IMG - then it is more of a random chance. Because for that type of app, we get hundreds of similar ones. How do you pick?

I've met residents in other programs that I think anyone else would have been a better resident and deserved that spot more than they did. Keep your head up. Not all residents deserve to be one, and just because you don't match, doesn't mean you wouldn't have made a fantastic practicing physician.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 5 users
The same thing we all look for - nice, good co-workers to be around and someone that will represent the program well during and after residency. First part is the screening - do you meet the basic requirements the program is looking (step scores, YOG, etc). Once past that, the apps start going through the committee. There are a LOT of applications so programs are still going through them. You would expect to get some invites by early to mid-October.

For every red flag (delayed YOG, step failures, etc) in your application, I would apply to more programs and pay attention to the requirements. If you have no FM letters that's not great either. See if your letter writers can tailor it to family med. If they say 'please tell us why our program' in your personal statement, then do that. If they have residents that graduated from your med school, you can try to reach out to that resident about why you're really interested in the program. That is hit or miss (don't do this to programs that explicitly say do not contact us).

Some applicants wonder why they don't get invites when they have poor letters of rec (ones with 2 sentences that say applicant showed up), write how they love OB/gyn in their family med personal statement, or all their experience is tailored around peds. Those are common sense. We want people that want us.

For the apps that fall in the middle - so so board scores, maybe one red flag, decent LoRs and clinical experience or you're an IMG - then it is more of a random chance. Because for that type of app, we get hundreds of similar ones. How do you pick?

I've met residents in other programs that I think anyone else would have been a better resident and deserved that spot more than they did. Keep your head up. Not all residents deserve to be one, and just because you don't match, doesn't mean you wouldn't have made a fantastic practicing physician.

Best of luck.

one little you forgot to mention or maybe you already did. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. unfortunately east coaster is in a better spot than a west coaster, especially in Cali. Cali removed PTAL which open the door for many applicants, also east coast programs don't like west costers much so they dont believe they stay in the area when they are done. it is a sad truth. I have a friend with 227/242 only 4 invites for a family while my east coast friend with 205/227 10 invites so far. both from the same school and us citizens. the only difference is their residence.

one little you forgot to mention or maybe you already did. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. unfortunately east coaster is in a better spot than a west coaster, especially in Cali. Cali removed PTAL which open the door for many applicants, also east coast programs don't like west costers much so they dont believe they stay in the area when they are done. it is a sad truth. I have a friend with 227/242 only 4 invites for a family while my east coast friend with 205/227 10 invites so far. both from the same school and us citizens. the only difference is their residence.

you think that's bad try being a west coaster from Canada lol visa requiring :( RIP to my application lol

• Sad
Did anyone get IVs today?
No IVs :( stressed :(

Hey guys, just throwing myself out there
203/215/cs pass all first attempt.
USIMG
YOG 2017
2 research publications, 2 poster presentations.
Went to AAFP conference.

Rejections: Kadlec, VCU - Riverside, Tallahasee, Eisenhower
Interviews: TBD

Re-Applicant here
Non-US IMG Need Visa
YOG: 2016
Step 1: 229(2nd,, 12/2016)
Step 2 CS: PASS(2nd, 3/2017)
Step 2 CK: 243(1st, 6/2017)
Step 3: 218(1st, 12/2017)
15+ months of USCE
1 online publication + 1 poster
1 Research experience
4 US LOR(2 FM+ 1 IM PRIMARY CARE+ 1 Integrative psychiatry)

Applied 146 FM. Nothing else
Invites: TBD
Rejections: 7 for now- U Arizona, Kaiser Permanante Santa Rosa, Mayo La Crosse, UW-Madison, UMN-Methodist, Tallahassee Memorial, U Louisville-Glasgow. All from September
No news for me since my last rejection on last Friday.

IDK what my chances are, feel free to comment
Non-US IMG (need visa)
Step 1: 203
Step 2: 216
CS passed
Step 3 216
All on the first attempt
YOG: 2017
2 posters 1 abstract published
LORs from 2 FM, Peds and my current boss (working in a clinic)

Applied last year, no interviews. The only change in my application is added Step 3 and a new poster presentation. Changed my PS to make it more personal and show my motivations for FM.

No IVs yet...I'm getting nervous :(

Non-US IMG (need visa)
CS passed
Step 3 216
All on the first attempt

Applied last year, no interviews. The only change in my application is added Step 3 and a new poster presentation. Changed my PS to make it more personal and show my motivations for FM.

In a similar boat. I'm just hoping we get some interviews so we can put all this behind us. I even put out a 10K bounty for anyone that can hook me up with a residency spot. Lol

• Haha
Non-US IMG (need visa)
CS passed
Step 3 216
All on the first attempt

YOG hurts you and the visa as well. Would recommend applying broadly (think at least 150+ places), and fulfill program specific requirements - some like tailored personal statements to why their program. I'd have a back up plan in case you don't match.

Non-US IMG (need visa)
CS passed
Step 3 216
All on the first attempt

I agree with ironheme. I was thinking a same thing. But what is a back up to family medicine? Internal medicine!? ( IM programs have lot of cutoffs, especially for non-us img. the cut off is 215-220 for step 1 and 220 for step 2 for most programs) also try a transitional year or prelim position to get experience and pay . Tailored ps would go a long way, also be proactive and email programs a SHORT email why you chose them ( that is what you can do right now). Dont mention broad things like " they have excellent faculty". Be specific and tell them why they have excellent faculty. like what in the faculty's resume attracted you to their program. that was just an example. many other things can attract you to a program like patient population, some unique training, the curriculum, etc. remember max 4 lines for your email. also, it would help a lot to mention some sort of tie to the area or USA in general. DONT LIE , they can read right through it .see what really cool about the program.

Last edited:
so I got many rejections so far uni of Minnesota, University of Alabama, Eisenhower, university of Wisconsin baboo program ... but I woke up today to an invite to Soin medical center. today started just right. again, to emphasize the importance of what attracted me to their program. ( mentioned above) they asked why I chose their program and come to Dayton. I think they like my answer and gave me an invite.

so I got many rejections so far uni of Minnesota, University of Alabama, Eisenhower, university of Wisconsin baboo program ... but I woke up today to an invite to Soin medical center. today started just right. again, to emphasize the importance of what attracted me to their program. ( mentioned above) they asked why I chose their program and come to Dayton. I think they like my answer and gave me an invite.

Congratulations!