IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah I figured, I haven’t really applied to IM because I have a career path build around FM and wouldn’t be possible another way, although it should be easier to match for FM, ironic!

I agree your stats are superb . Quite surprised. At invite number . Anyhow, LOR from fm in USA? Cuz with those stats programs don’t believe you that you going FM. I know high score can work against you. Either lot of family LOR or personalizes PS or like you suggest LOI can go long way for you

Members don't see this ad.

For some reason, although FM has lower scores, the number of non-US IMGs that FM takes is a LOT fewer than IM. For IM it is around 2000, while it is only around 250 for FM. Even accounting for differences in the total number of positions, that is a huge discrepancy. But your scores are excellent and I am sure you have good USCE and if you applied broadly you should certainly get a good number of interviews. Be sure to send LOIs to programs specifying what career path you envision for yourself, your scores and how those programs can help you achieve your vision. Your scores are very high and you don't want programs to think they're your backup. My scores lower than yours (25x) but I have had people comment on them during my interviews so I am sure yours stand out even more.
Yeah I think I'll be doing just that! Thanks a lot for the tip

I agree your stats are superb . Quite surprised. At invite number . Anyhow, LOR from fm in USA? Cuz with those stats programs don’t believe you that you going FM. I know high score can work against you. Either lot of family LOR or personalizes PS or like you suggest LOI can go long way for you
Actually PS and LORs are both for family medicine, but I think the LOIs will help as well, hoping things will work out

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like today was Indiana day . Got one inv and one rejection. Reid health as the invite . And memorial in south bend rejects me

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like today was Indiana day . Got one inv and one rejection. Reid health as the invite . And memorial in south bend rejects me
Rejection day for me lol
One from memorial in south bend
The other from mercy St. Louis...they sent a sweet rejection.

Non-US IMG
Step1 231
Step2 CK 225
CS pass, all first attempt
YOG 2018
Applied to 200 programs

3 interviews right now.

Is it a good time now to send LOI? or wait a little bit more?

Non-US IMG
Step1 231
Step2 CK 225
CS pass, all first attempt
YOG 2018
Applied to 200 programs

3 interviews right now.

Is it a good time now to send LOI? or wait a little bit more?
start sending them!

Still haven't heard anything for about 5 weeks.
All that work+money for the steps/application/USCE and not even an acknowledgment for 5 weeks?!?
Its basically pretty much pointless applying for FM as a Non US-IMG?

University of south Alabama . They had only one date available , but luckily worked perfectly with my inv schedule

Members don't see this ad :)
Still haven't heard anything for about 5 weeks.
All that work+money for the steps/application/USCE and not even an acknowledgment for 5 weeks?!?
Its basically pretty much pointless applying for FM as a Non US-IMG?
hey my friend applied in november got 3 invs and matched keep your hopes up.

Guys, I’m having a dreadful season. Applied to 300 programs... 0 interviews.
US citizen- Caribbean grad
Step 1 223 - 1st Pass
Step 2ck 221 - 1st pass
Step 2cs - THIRD pass- honestly I didn’t take the exam as srs. Then I tried to rush it. Just a total disaster.
YOG 2019
Currently doing research in US university.
I guess step 3 is the answer? Just totally bummed CS messed me up smh.

I got a silly question. When do we start send out personal emails for each program that we applied? Is that the same email to LOI that y'all mentioned above? What should I put in the emails?

+1 and only interview.
8+1 rejection—University of Washington School of Medicine Rural Program.

Guys, I’m having a dreadful season. Applied to 300 programs... 0 interviews.
US citizen- Caribbean grad
Step 1 223 - 1st Pass
Step 2ck 221 - 1st pass
Step 2cs - THIRD pass- honestly I didn’t take the exam as srs. Then I tried to rush it. Just a total disaster.
YOG 2019
Currently doing research in US university.
I guess step 3 is the answer? Just totally bummed CS messed me up smh.
I be honest this is how your app looks you started out strong with 223 then you got lower Ck and then you failed cs twice. this shows programs you are in down spiral. definitley in your case step 3 will help alot . but try to score higher than your step 2 . if you take it and score lower it can hurt you more. so take the test when for sure you are going to score higher. also research doen't carry much weight in family sadly . i would try to do us clinical exprience or some outreach programs. i would try to take more leadership postions. these are the things asked in my interviews so far so i know that is what they look for . they rarely asked about my research even though i have 4 publications.

I got a silly question. When do we start send out personal emails for each program that we applied? Is that the same email to LOI that y'all mentioned above? What should I put in the emails?
not silly at all .. honestly if you got above avg scores or incomplete app it might get their attention. i haven't had any luck with my LOI. and the ppl who did had high scores for family 230s and 240s and US IMGs.

Hey guys,

Any update on rio bravo family medicine program CA. Interviews or rejections?

Thanks

Hey guys,

Any update on rio bravo family medicine program CA. Interviews or rejections?

Thanks
Bakersfield, CA? They called for invitations about 2 weeks ago.

Do you know if Tufts sends out invitations or rejections yet? They kept sending emails about their livestream and the PD changing.

Hello,
Any of you has interviewed at Brooklyn Medical Center? Can you share your experience? DO they ask medical questions?
Thank you

I can't believe I applied to 160 programs and so far I haven't received not even one IV :(

Off topic: this is just out of curiosity, but shouldn’t it be easier to match into FM rather than IM? Also, would it be so bad to apply for both FM and IM...or is one of them seen as a back up plan?

Off topic: this is just out of curiosity, but shouldn’t it be easier to match into FM rather than IM? Also, would it be so bad to apply for both FM and IM...or is one of them seen as a back up plan?
No, it is easier for an IMG to match in IM rather than FM due to several factors.
It is not unusual to apply to IM and have FM as a backup

No, it is easier for an IMG to match in IM rather than FM due to several factors.
It is not unusual to apply to IM and have FM as a backup

What about viceversa? Have FM as your main goal and IM as a backup? Also in this case, the person applying should have, I suppose, 2 personal statements: one tailored for the FM programs and the other for IM....can the other party know somehow about this?

What about viceversa? Have FM as your main goal and IM as a backup? Also in this case, the person applying should have, I suppose, 2 personal statements: one tailored for the FM programs and the other for IM....can the other party know somehow about this?
Yes, you can have as many combinations as you want. Definitely have 2 PS. And the only way they could "know" is if the PD or coordinator know each other and/or if you're applying to the same FM and IM Hospital/university program.

this week has been super quiet. not even a rejection. just one interview from wayne state . can anybody applying second time share for family when was the last day they received an invite ? also what is safe number invites to match ?

Hey guys! Just wanted to encourage y'all that interviews are still trickling in. I just got one yesterday from a program in NJ that had dates open till December. Hang in there!

Reactions: 5 users
I'll apply for residency in next cycle but I always keep my eyes in this topic. As an IMG, I know it was very difficult for us to get any IVs. But be positive, guys. We do our best, God will do the rest.

Hey guys! Just wanted to encourage y'all that interviews are still trickling in. I just got one yesterday from a program in NJ that had dates open till December. Hang in there!
What program? If you don't mind sharing

Hi guys, IMG with a green card is considered US-IMG or NON US -IMG ?

Has anyone received a phone interview invitation? I got one invitation for this week. Any inputs? :/

Non US IMG according to the NRMP.
i disagree becasue nON-us img is someone needs J1 / H1B to work in america and green card holder has that permission and programs dont need do anything for him/her to work in USA.

i disagree becasue nON-us img is someone needs J1 / H1B to work in america and green card holder has that permission and programs dont need do anything for him/her to work in USA.

A GC holder is a non-US IMG according to NRMP. I know because I am one and registered as a non-US on NRMP. Only citizens are considered US-IMGs. Although it does give you an advantage since you don't need a visa.

Reactions: 3 users