IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med201821

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there was a thread for last season figured why not make another one.

Getting kind of nervous as we are not even two weeks out from applications going out.

I am in a conundrum because I will not have Step 2 CK done. Was going to take it Oct 5th but where I am at is in a hardcore COVID lockdown projecting on opening up middle of November. So automatically that knocks me out of programs that require ECFMG certification. Or does it?

Anyways I guess my stats.

Step 1: 21x
Step 2 CK: Haven't taken
Step 2 CS: 3rd pathway
5 research publications. Three of which are pretty good. But they are all still in review so nor formally accepted.
2 poster presentations.
2 family med LORs. One from 6 week clinical experience in US and other twice a week for 40 week family med placement I did in third and fourth year. Third LOR will ideally be from chair of my Med school or ED doctor I worked with extensively.
Founder/director of non profit organization while in third year
Extensive work experience prior to medicine in biopharmacutical manufacturing (Made MABs and Vaccines)
Research experience
Will also have worked for 6 months as an intern prior to starting a residency provided I match. I feel like that has to count for something.
MSPE shows that I am a solid third quartile student on all our examinations in my program. Four written exams and 3 clinical skills exams over 4 years. Very stressful format.
Extra details I am throwing in: Private pilot, collegiate athlete

I am super irritated at myself for not sitting STEP 2 sooner and then this lockdown has really thrown a monkey wrench in my plan. At the very worst I will still get an internship where I am at but I really wanted to go back to the States.

Soo any thoughts or opinions on my situation.

Please anyone keen to share where they are at.

Members don't see this ad.

So there was a thread for last season figured why not make another one.

Getting kind of nervous as we are not even two weeks out from applications going out.

I am in a conundrum because I will not have Step 2 CK done. Was going to take it Oct 5th but where I am at is in a hardcore COVID lockdown projecting on opening up middle of November. So automatically that knocks me out of programs that require ECFMG certification. Or does it?

Anyways I guess my stats.

Step 1: 21x
Step 2 CK: Haven't taken
Step 2 CS: 3rd pathway
5 research publications. Three of which are pretty good. But they are all still in review so nor formally accepted.
2 poster presentations.
2 family med LORs. One from 6 week clinical experience in US and other twice a week for 40 week family med placement I did in third and fourth year. Third LOR will ideally be from chair of my Med school or ED doctor I worked with extensively.
Founder/director of non profit organization while in third year
Extensive work experience prior to medicine in biopharmacutical manufacturing (Made MABs and Vaccines)
Research experience
Will also have worked for 6 months as an intern prior to starting a residency provided I match. I feel like that has to count for something.
MSPE shows that I am a solid third quartile student on all our examinations in my program. Four written exams and 3 clinical skills exams over 4 years. Very stressful format.
Extra details I am throwing in: Private pilot, collegiate athlete

I am super irritated at myself for not sitting STEP 2 sooner and then this lockdown has really thrown a monkey wrench in my plan. At the very worst I will still get an internship where I am at but I really wanted to go back to the States.

Soo any thoughts or opinions on my situation.

Please anyone keen to share where they are at.
I think you’re solid. I have friends with lesser stats than you and late CK scores who matched into fm last year

My stats:

US-IMG from Caribbean school
YOG 2021
Step 1 209 first pass
Step 2 CK 217 first pass
Step 2 CS pass first pass
6 volunteer experiences
2 work experiences
3 research experiences
1 solid FM LOR, one surgery LOR and one IM LOR
Waiting on ecfmg certificate
Applied to 100 FM programs

What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad :)
US-IMG (RUSM) with a GC
Canadian-born
Illinois resident (suburbs of N Chicago)
Step1: 233 (1)
Step2CK: 235 (1)
CS: pathways 3-5
OET: Oct 22
USCE all of 3/4th year in Chicago & Detroit

Spanish speaking ability.
No formal research. 6+ oral presentations, 1 case report poster.
6 volunteer experiences.
4 work experiences.
1 FM subI LOR, 3 General LORs.

68 FM, 32 IM mostly Midwest
6 FM IV scheduled thus far (5 IL, 1 WI) with Uni and Community programs.

Waiting on top choices still but it’s early with peak invites coming weeks 3-6 post-submission day.

Good luck y’all!!

Last edited:
Non us IMG (visa requiring)
Step 1 220
Step 2 231
Pathway 6 OET passed
USCE: 4 months rural primary care, 6 months home country primary are expeience
4 LORs from US based doctors (2 FM, 1IM, 1 Rads)
Research/publications: None
Applied to FM

What about this thread? Please let us know if anyone matched..

I secured a position. Will find out where in 45 minutes.

Can you share your credentials please?
Well I was the OP and they are at the top. Very average unless you consider only board scores. Which were way below average.